GDT: [Game 1] April 13: Flames @ Ducks - 8:30pm MT (TV: CBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan and Ferland carried Gaurdreau tonight. Someone please tell me how Mony's a passenger, easily our second best forward behind Ferly.

Backlund was ******* tonight, not going to sugar coat it.

Bennett was really good tonight to, equally good as Monahan. But Ferly was solid, but within his game, played smart and made his presence felt. Johnny was garbage and Dougie really struggled to.

@MOTM, that change was cringe worthy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The curse is so obviously in the players' head. Can never be focused enough to play a full 60

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Just stop. Look past your own player biases and see that Hamilton's penalty hat trick and Gaudreau being a ghost contributed just as much, if not more, to this loss.

I usually stick up for Engelland. But I cannot look past that line change. That was the turning point in the game

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
There's a lot the Flames should have done to win that game. Hell just not making that lazy line change Engelland and Bart esp. would have been enough to likely of gotten this game done or to OT.

I do want to say the rule book is stupid in areas.
Delay of game penalty for falling on the puck should work the same as dislodging the post where in the last 2 minutes it becomes a penalty shot rather than a minor. Not sure why the NHL has different rules for the same penalty but obviously this makes it a good play by Kesler to sit on the puck if there's less than 15s of play every time his team has a lead.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I usually stick up for Engelland. But I cannot look past that line change. That was the turning point in the game

I look at that line change and I see five players changing. At least Engelland had the decency to get on with it. Chiasson and whoever the **** else just glided like it was a skate in the park.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
There's a lot the Flames should have done to win that game. Hell just not making that lazy line change Engelland and Bart esp. would have been enough to likely of gotten this game done or to OT.

I do want to say the rule book is stupid in areas.
Delay of game penalty for falling on the puck should work the same as dislodging the post where in the last 2 minutes it becomes a penalty shot rather than a minor. Not sure why the NHL has different rules for the same penalty but obviously this makes it a good play by Kesler to sit on the puck if there's less than 15s of play every time his team has a lead.

Not sure why the NHL rewards players for being smart enough to exploit them. Why does the NHL continuously ignore quality control in their officiating? I really would like to know. It actually is a problem.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The good: Monahan, Versteeg, Ferland, Tkachuk (didn't get much help from his line-mates but he dominated the boards), Gio, Brodie, Stone, Engelland, Elliott, Bennett.

The bad: Bartkowski (still can't win a puck battle, but I don't blame him for the line change, I blame all 5), Brouwer (I can't have him as ugly cause at least he didn't cost the team goals or turn it over 10 times, but he was non-existent)

The ugly: Hamilton, Gaudreau

Flames should have won the game, but Anaheim being gifted a couple PP's, and the Flames taking dumb penalties gifted Anaheim 2 goals and the momentum swing was the 3-0.

The series is winnable.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I look at that line change and I see five players changing. At least Engelland had the decency to get on with it. Chiasson and whoever the **** else just glided like it was a skate in the park.

Lol what. The dmen are supposed to wait for the forwards to change. Not say **** it and follow them in. No way is that on the forwards there.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
We were the better team for large segments of the game, but:

- we didn't capitalize when we had the chance and needed to (see 5 on 3 at the end)

- we took too many penalties

- Ducks siezed their opportunities (something we didn't).

- Finally, we were a bit unlucky with the first goal against . . . Which is why we needed to make our chances count and we ****ing didn't

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Just stop. Look past your own player biases and see that Hamilton's penalty hat trick and Gaudreau being a ghost contributed just as much, if not more, to this loss.

What? My own player biases? I've defended these guys (especially Engelland) all year. :laugh:

Anyone that knows anything about hockey will point to that change as the turning point. 2-1 lead, and we're down 3-2 shortly after.

Plus, I already added to that statement:

Oh yeah, and Dougie

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Did you even watch the game? Blaming them and only them is ridiculous.

One event can't have a significant impact on the game? Huh, news to me.

Sure, other guys (Gaudreau) played poor, but he didn't actively dig the hole any deeper with any of the plays he made.

I'll get past any mistake a depth player makes because of lack of ability, I won't stand up and defend a mental lapse in the most important game of the year to date.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
flames_lose_gif_2_0_by_b_mint1994-d5s5yt6.gif

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What? My own player biases? I've defended these guys (especially Engelland) all year. :laugh:

Anyone that knows anything about hockey will point to that change as the turning point. 2-1 lead, and we're down 3-2 shortly after.

Plus, I already added to that statement:

Yeah, I apologize, man. Just pretty heated. Took a needless jab at you which was uncalled for. We're on the same side here.

I need to cool off lol

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
There's a lot of losses that I feel that the Flames should win, but this was not one. The Flames could have won if they could have avoided their absolutely braindead Ponda Center ******** but overall they at least hung in there.

At least I still believe the Flames can win one game in Anaheim this year.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah, I apologize, man. Just pretty heated. Took a needless jab at you which was uncalled for. We're on the same side here.

I need to cool off lol

Likewise, just super disappointed.

I should have a new personal rule - no HF until the morning after a heated game

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
****ing brutal, we beat ourselves, undisciplined play, stupid line change and inability to score on the late game pp. We can take the Ducks, they're not that much if at all better than us, hopefully its a better game Saturday.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm not even mad at Engelland for that atrocious line change. I expect those two to be responsible for one goal against per game one way or another.

I expect more from Dougie than three stupid penalties and one really awful pass. That's just unacceptable. He's a great defenseman and he can do more to help the team win.

Also you have to wonder what's the plan with Lazar. They gave up a 2nd but they're barely using him right before he turns RFA.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Depressing stat of the day: Flames are 3-16 in series where they drop the first game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad