Recalled/Assigned: Gambardella recalled

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I like Gambardella offensively. But he's lacking in other areas. Not much of a NZ or Ozone presence and his EVGA is extremely high when called up. Not sure how he fares that way down in the AHL.

Are you possibly thinking of someone else? Gambardella was only on ice for 1 EVGA.

I do agree he didn't come across as a confident or productive ozone player when he was called up, but I think I would attribute that to getting between 2 and 7 minutes a game. It's hard to really get in the flow of games when you get Derek Boogaard minutes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are you possibly thinking of someone else? Gambardella was only on ice for 1 EVGA.

I do agree he didn't come across as a confident or productive ozone player when he was called up, but I think I would attribute that to getting between 2 and 7 minutes a game. It's hard to really get in the flow of games when you get Derek Boogaard minutes.

I remember when Marody got similar minutes. It's beyond bizarre how the coaches have treated AHL call-ups.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers recalling their prospects to see how they're doing but forgot their video tapes for that

I feel these call ups are like bonus payday and a checkbox for some of these players. I played one NHL game! Happy for Gambardella. This might be his only shot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Good call up. Been wanting to see what this kid has at the nhl level.

I personally don't think there is much rhyme or reason to which players can translate their game to the nhl anymore. So may as well give Gam a legit chance and see what he's got.

I agree with those saying I hope he gets some time in the top 6 rather than just 8 minutes a night.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
So we have no new injuries but call up Gambardella? Fighting for a playoff spot and some can’t even show up, speaks volumes

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Note on Gambardella. Every level he played on, he started at ground zero and ALWAYS fought through and made his way. I know him, and his family personally. I’m sure he was overwhelmed at first adjusting, but once he does I have no doubt he’ll come on strong after getting his first taste of NHL action, he got that New York spark in him. I hope he can make himself a name with you guys, true hardnosed, hard working player that will fight for his team.

I’ll be here from time to time!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ahh, I used to use Behind the Net for some of my data but now use hockey reference and others. BTN used to offer rare data tallies and rates, which I miss, but its no longer up as a site. So thanks for the clarification. Its kind of funny that they played Gambardella so little that just the one goal against would skew his data. I liked what I saw from him, nice hockey story as well.
But Hitchcock, he no like the rooks and callups very much and this being even more ingrained in his retirement coaching phase. Hitch has usually preferred vets. I agree that the prospects should get a look.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Why even call up Gamberdella and Currie if they're gonna play 6 minutes a night. Let them continue their success in the AHL and just play Malone or something since the season is over unless they win like every single game from here on out. No point in having them play such little minutes and just warm the bench 90% of the game. If you call them up then see what they can do with talented players and if they can't hold their own then at least we know we have to wait a bit longer for them to develop. What a waste of time calling them up is...

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Why even call up Gamberdella and Currie if they're gonna play 6 minutes a night. Let them continue their success in the AHL and just play Malone or something since the season is over unless they win like every single game from here on out. No point in having them play such little minutes and just warm the bench 90% of the game. If you call them up then see what they can do with talented players and if they can't hold their own then at least we know we have to wait a bit longer for them to develop. What a waste of time calling them up is...

Yeah, I'm not even asking for anything crazy.

Like give them 10-12 minutes even!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The bottom 5 minute line should be Lucic Khaira Reider. Give Khaira and Reider PK time. They’ve had their time to make something happen. Move on from these 3 as nothing more than gap fillers in the lineup card.

Run Gambardella Cave Currie as a zone start protected 3rd line. They became more effective with more ice time and generated a couple scoring chances with a nice forecheck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This was my complaint last week. I sure hope Hitch isn't waiting until the team is mathematically eliminated before giving these guys a shot.

Gonna callup offensive players from the AHL then put them in some sort of position to succeed. If not then just callup the grinders to play 6-8 minutes.

Unless the whole mandate was to callup those two so that they get their taste of a NHL pay cheque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad