Recalled/Assigned: Gambardella recalled

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
At this point I'll be honest, anybody we recall I expect to play 8 minutes a game max and be glued into a fourth line role no matter how they look.

I used to get excited for recalling guys and seeing if they could carry over their AHL production, but now it's just a process of taking our best goal scorers from the AHL, sticking them in a checking role, and sending them back down.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers recalling their prospects to see how they're doing but forgot their video tapes for that

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Answered my own question. Thought we had a couple injuries today or something.
I hope they don’t deploy him for 3 minutes. Let him show what he’s got. Seasons toast anyways.

At this point the AHL guys around here should be put into scoring roles to see if they can handle it at the NHL level.

No more of this 8 minutes a game on the fourth line being used as a way to evaluate our productive prospects.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
At this point the AHL guys around here should be put into scoring roles to see if they can handle it at the NHL level.

No more of this 8 minutes a game on the fourth line being used as a way to evaluate our productive prospects.

I agree. It admits defeat somewhat to fans and players despite mathematically not being eliminated. I’d love to see 5 games with Benson beside Drai on the left side and Marody centering the 3rd line with Currie and Gambardella. Give them meaningful minutes and see what they’ve got and what they need to work on to take a possible next step. Think after this road trip we might see that anyways. Can’t see us going 2 for 3 and we really need 3 for 3 in regulation vs Az.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Especially since guys like Rieder, Lucic, etc., etc. have shat the bed for enough time for us to know what we have in them.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
He projects to be 3rd or 4th liner. Not sure why you would put him in a scoring role. He's a depth guy and we should be exstatic if we get 3 solid depth guys from the ahl team this year. Over the course of an 82 game schedule they can make a big difference next year at cheap cap hits... even if it is just 10 min a game.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Especially since guys like Rieder, Lucic, etc., etc. have shat the bed for enough time for us to know what we have in them.

Yep. We know what we have in these regulars that keep seeing top 6 minutes like Chiasson, Rieder, Lucic, etc.

This is a rare (for most teams...) Opportunity to be able to evaluate your untapped talent in the AHL before having to go into the summer.

Kassian McDavid Currie
Benson drai Gagner
Gambardella nuge marody
Khaira cave whoever

Just throw them into the fire for the last few games and let them figure out what they need to work on to succeed in a scoring role in the NHL, or maybe show something they already have that we aren't aware of.

We've got nothing to lose.

Reactions: harpoon

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The guy may be older, but it's only his second pro season and he's one of the best goal scorers in the AHL.

If he had played the same amount of games as the other guys, you're looking at the 1st or 2nd top goal scorer in the league.

You need to see what you have with a guy like that. Give him more than 5 minutes a game. I've said it before, but that's the sort of ice time complete meathead enforcers get. It's bad line management and it's bad coaching. One game he got 2 minutes for f*** sake.

I really don't know what will happen, but he's one of my favourite players in the AHL. Great work ethic and fights hard for the puck.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil and 3IR

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
He projects to be 3rd or 4th liner. Not sure why you would put him in a scoring role. He's a depth guy and we should be exstatic if we get 3 solid depth guys from the ahl team this year. Over the course of an 82 game schedule they can make a big difference next year at cheap cap hits... even if it is just 10 min a game.

A projection is a fancy word for a guess. You don't know what you have in a prospect until they're given a shot.

I'm not saying he's going to come in and light the league on fire, but if someone like that can come in and show he can score on an NHL goalie, it opens up options for depth scoring for cheap next year. We aren't trying them out to be full time top 6ers based on a few games, but having someone like gambardella come in and out up .5 ppg to end the year gives you confidence in your ability to call him up next year and throw him into a top 6 role for a bit.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Season's over so we might as well reward some of the AHL guys. They're not going to lead us to the promised land nor will they hurt our shallow roster either.

Here we go. One of my favorite goals by him. I like a guy who'll kill himself over an empty net goal to seal a game.

I remember watching this after it had happened. What a memorable play, just sacrificing his body to preserve the win streak.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cave really needs to be on the list of players that don't even merit bothering. He's brutal on pk, not strong on the puck, loses battles and isn't phsycially strong and has no NHL tools. Not anything he is particularly good at. The only thing being a modicum of urgency that one would expect any AHL tweener to have playing in the show. In the last game alone he had 2 Ozone giveaways, lost the puck another couple times, blew any chance he got at the other end, and deflected a puck in his own net. Not incidentally either. He purposely gets his blade in front of a shot from the point, but not in a position to block, the only thing he was going to be able to do on that play is deflect it and it went perfect top corner.

When you court players like this that are entirely bereft of skill and in over their heads playing at the NHL level its just looking for trouble. It came last game.

I like Gambardella offensively. But he's lacking in other areas. Not much of a NZ or Ozone presence and his EVGA is extremely high when called up. Not sure how he fares that way down in the AHL.

The trouble with some of this is the likelihood is that a player like Rattie is probably a better player and prospect any day of the week. But Hitch hates him so we'll lose him and some club like Vegas will find some use for a guy that can score and help offense in the right situations.

In this org we can really meld exactly what kind of seasons players will have. For instance this season we turned Chiasson into a 20 goal scorer but he got a fair amount of help. Recently we're helping out Kassians stats. Last year Rattie got plumcake for the last 15 games or so and did reasonably well with it.

So when we state things like X players should all be gone and we should just have more Gambardellas in the lineup one has to really wonder if these are going south moves skill wise, and potential wise. I'd have NHL players that can produce some over AHL players most times. Kind of how I roll with this Oilers club.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just trying to picture Hitchcock's face if you presented him with that lineup card.

If it stopped at that kind of lineup and line configs I'd be sick again as well. Drai plays particularly well with hard body players that can keep the puck, roll over people and be part of a physical juggernaut.

So lets give him Gagner and Benson instead....

The scary thing is that kind of random abstraction isn't far from what this team does. I mean they started the season with Yamamoto on Drai's wing. I still question how anybody thought that was going to work. Drai needs forwards that are prepared to battle and get dirty like he is and put relentless pressure on D in sustained attack. He's gold at generating that and being part of that kind of heavy metal cycle that leans on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad