Player Discussion Galchenyuk - Banished to Siberia Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
Does anyone see a scenario that can get Chucky back to center? I think we need an injured center or four and see if chucky can regain the form at center that made him a 30 goal scorer. Only way I can see it happening.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
The rest of the team is doing a pretty good job of costing us games by being an unorganized anyways. I don’t see how throwing Chucky a bone and playing him center is going to make our train wreck defensive play among both forwards and defence any worse. You don’t see Claude throwing Drouin on the 4th line because he’s sucking defensively, which he is.

Why would you put Drouin on the 4th... he is doing most of the offense of this team with over playing with him. Worst on Def then Galchy... I like the kid and on want him to success, but playing with Galchy on 5vs5 is like being 5vs4. He need to fix that to get TOI and that TOI won't be only offensive assignment.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Does anyone see a scenario that can get Chucky back to center? I think we need an injured center or four and see if chucky can regain the form at center that made him a 30 goal scorer. Only way I can see it happening.

I would agree that it would take an injury to even allow Galchenyuk a sniff at center.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
In a world not only compose of simple agressif question ending with ???? And where Galchy is not perfect, the coaches are just trying to get him going without costing the team the games.
Again this conservative view to strangle the life out of players. When we were winning, we can't or it will cost us games. When we are losing, we can't it would cost us games. At what point does a player get a chance to make mistakes and learn from them. A critical process in virtually anything in life.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I find it interesting that Galchenyuk is a known substance abuse program user and people still make every excuses in the book for him... don't know too many of those with job security and 5M/year salaries. Julien, Therrien and Bergevin are probably super evil though.
Other than the unsubstantiated word of an actual known substance abuser, what evidence is there that this is actually true?

Last I checked the program was anonymous and confidential. Why would anyone from the NHL substance abuse program call up Mario Tremblay of all people to offer him info about Galchenyuk, it doesn't add up. None of this makes any sense. Sounds like someone making up a story for 5 minutes of attention.

His was on a ppg pace as a center before he got injured, came back and was placed on the wing and never produced the same. It's not rocket science, every time he plays center with decent players he produces. Every time he's placed with scrubs or on the wing, his production dips. It's been proven a zillion times already with stats to back it up.

But let's ignore that and focus on convenient unsubstantiated rumors instead.

Jul 6, 2016
Other than the unsubstantiated word of an actual known substance abuser, what evidence is there that this is actually true?

Last I checked the program was anonymous and confidential. Why would anyone from the NHL substance abuse program call up Mario Tremblay of all people to offer him info about Galchenyuk, it doesn't add up. None of this makes any sense. Sounds like someone making up a story for 5 minutes of attention.

His was on a ppg pace as a center before he got injured, came back and was placed on the wing and never produced the same. It's not rocket science, every time he plays center with decent players he produces. Every time he's placed with scrubs or on the wing, his production dips. It's been proven a zillion times already with stats to back it up.

Wrong. As soon as he was ready to come back, MT put him back on the 1st line with Radulov and Patches. He found out quickly - after 3-4 games -that Galchy was unable to follow the pace . That is why, he put him on a lower line. Not the 4th. Why was he so out of shape ? Has Galchy been better - faster, hungrier, - during this year camp than in the last stretch last season ? Why would MB given him a 3 year contract at 4,9 if he was not convinced he would show up in better shape physically and mentally ? He certainly did not give him such a good contract to play on a 4th line.

So... How come CJ has to put him there, again this year ?

+ They did not get rid of Beaulieu for no reason....

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

The logic of Galchenyuk produced best as a C works great in theory, but reality is a different animal.

For all you know Galchenyuk wants to be a W.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Again this conservative view to strangle the life out of players. When we were winning, we can't or it will cost us games. When we are losing, we can't it would cost us games. At what point does a player get a chance to make mistakes and learn from them. A critical process in virtually anything in life.

Your right if your a rookie...Galchy is a vet now. 347 Game in NHL, over 100 has a center. He doesn't seem to learn from them that much. At this point, he has collection of is good move and bad move.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Wrong. As soon as he was ready to come back, MT put him back on the 1st line with Radulov and Patches. He found out quickly - after 3-4 games -that Galchy was unable to follow the pace . That is why, he put him on a lower line. Not the 4th. Why was he so out of shape ? Has Galchy been better - faster, hungrier, - during this year camp than in the last stretch last season ? Why would MB given him a 3 year contract at 4,9 if he was not convinced he would show up in better shape physically and mentally ? He certainly did not give him such a good contract to play on a 4th line.

So... How come CJ has to put him there, again this year ?

+ They did not get rid of Beaulieu for no reason....

Ok... So you tell me that because he was bad and coukdn't keep the pace for 5 games coming back from anleg injurie is a valid excuse to never put him back at center a position he had a 30 goal season at and was a ppg player at before that same injurie ?

Hell he could have taken 30 bad games i would still put hin at center... That is where he is productive. Galchenyuk is a 40 pts winger needing sheltering.

He's got too bad of first step to help him get good zone entries on the wing and he can't use his dangle as well on the wing because of the board. What he needs is space on the ice and options to make his plays and all of that he could do at center... That is why he always was more productive there.
At center his feet are always moving so he don't have to start from too slow too often and it helps his game.

The proof is in the pudding just watch the 2 or 3 zone entries he did against nwe york where he switched place with the centerman. They were textbook perfect and both of them lead to good scoring chances.

It is true that he was not good coming back from his injuries but there is no way he's and ever will be a better winger. He NEVER looked good there.

durojean

May 29, 2007
The logic of Galchenyuk produced best as a C works great in theory, but reality is a different animal.

It's not a different animal. Galchenyuk is better at center and even his dad said like one week ago that Galchenyuk prefer center.

It's not just the logic that says he s a better center. Stats and history too say that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Except it isn't a theory:
http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3591&games=2016-2017:R
Last season, his production came from playing center.
In his career high, at least half his production also came at center despite playing less time in that position:
http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3591&games=2015-2016:R,

So, it isn't just a theory. Now you can suggest that he is comfortable in both position, personally, I think it is such a collossal f*** up and a clear indication of how completely clueless this management was.
The moment he was drafted, he should have been regarded as THE guy to build around, at the very obvious position of need, center.
There was no reason for this to even be a question, it truly is remarkable that 6 years later, SIX , we are still discussing this.
Instead of wasting time getting garbage band-aids like Briere or PAP, or trying to hit a jackpot with Semin-Kassian-Floosh-Hemsky, their focus should have been to target key wingers that could fit well with Galchenyuk. A guy like Jagr could have done wonders. I bring him up as he was available and admitted to wanting to play here. You have the opportunity to bring in one of the best players to ever play the game, without a doubt, the best European, and you pass him up to sign a local boy who snobbed this organization and was just bought out...Huh? What?
This isn't hindsight either. I, and others, discussed this back at the time we acquired Briere.

This management is entirely responsible for the f*** up we are seeing today. Can they fix this? My only hope was on Julien but he doesn't seem particularly interested. I do like CJ though, so I hope he can change things around.

Reactions: Habs178 and Peanut

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
It's not a different animal. Galchenyuk is better at center and even his dad said like one week ago that Galchenyuk prefer center.

It's not just the logic that says he s a better center. Stats and history too say that.

Perhaps someone less lazy than I could run the numbers? Simply by going back through the game logs where he took 10 or more faceoffs vs games where took 3 or less (or whatever the ratio should be) and calculate his production at center vs wing. Black and white numbers, end the debate.

Not suggesting you per se should do so, but anyone could do it scrolling through nhl.com.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I would love to see :

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Hudon
DLR - McCarron - Shaw

If you like Drouin at C(I do) :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Hudon
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
DLR - Plekanec - McCarron

I prefer lineup 2 personally but both would make more sense (imo) than what we have today.

Last edited:

durojean

May 29, 2007
Perhaps someone less lazy than I could run the numbers? Simply by going back through the game logs where he took 10 or more faceoffs vs games where took 3 or less (or whatever the ratio should be) and calculate his production at center vs wing. Black and white numbers, end the debate.

Not suggesting you per se should do so, but anyone could do it scrolling through nhl.com.

The link in the post under mine...

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Except it isn't a theory:
http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3591&games=2016-2017:R
Last season, his production came from playing center.
In his career high, at least half his production also came at center despite playing less time in that position:
http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3591&games=2015-2016:R,

So, it isn't just a theory. Now you can suggest that he is comfortable in both position, personally, I think it is such a collossal **** up and a clear indication of how completely clueless this management was.
The moment he was drafted, he should have been regarded as THE guy to build around, at the very obvious position of need, center.
There was no reason for this to even be a question, it truly is remarkable that 6 years later, SIX , we are still discussing this.
Instead of wasting time getting garbage band-aids like Briere or PAP, or trying to hit a jackpot with Semin-Kassian-Floosh-Hemsky, their focus should have been to target key wingers that could fit well with Galchenyuk. A guy like Jagr could have done wonders. I bring him up as he was available and admitted to wanting to play here. You have the opportunity to bring in one of the best players to ever play the game, without a doubt, the best European, and you pass him up to sign a local boy who snobbed this organization and was just bought out...Huh? What?
This isn't hindsight either. I, and others, discussed this back at the time we acquired Briere.

This management is entirely responsible for the **** up we are seeing today. Can they fix this? My only hope was on Julien but he doesn't seem particularly interested. I do like CJ though, so I hope he can change things around.

The site is a little hard to read on a mobile. Does it give an accurate account of his point at production at center v wing over his career?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The site is a little hard to read on a mobile. Does it give an accurate account of his point at production at center v wing over his career?
It shows you the line combinations and their production, in different situations.
That site has been on for a long time, so I assume it is accurate. Never had any reason to doubt it.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
It shows you the line combinations and their production, in different situations.
That site has been on for a long time, so I assume it is accurate. Never had any reason to doubt it.

Right, no reason to doubt it, but is there a quick search on there to see his production at the two positions? Or is some digging required? I’ll perhaps check it out one day where I’m not on a mobile.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Right, no reason to doubt it, but is there a quick search on there to see his production at the two positions? Or is some digging required? I’ll perhaps check it out one day where I’m not on a mobile.
It shows the 5 most common lines he was productive on, the percentages they represent and the actual number of points.
If his line is written: Galch-Eller-Semin, that means he played wing. If it's Eller-Galch-Semin, that means he was the center.
There is no specific option to click "production on wing" or "production at center".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad