Galchenyk/Petry/Drouin -89

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yeah but Brendan Gallagher and Jonathan Drouin have very similar Time On Ice stats different by only a minute and a half roughly and Gallagher played a few more games. Why the massive difference in Plus Minus between the two?

Not being vindictive fellas just enjoy the hockey talk.
Gallagher is just a better all around player than Drouin and Galchenyuk that’s why
Teams would line up to take Gallagher In a trade.
Responsible player in both end
Teams would give little to nothing for the other 2 that got almost half their pts on the PP

Reactions: habdynasty

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think they got most of those minuses in the first half of the season, the second half was much better mostly because of Niemi who rarely allowed 3+ goals every games like price

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I smell an 8 year extension coming ...

Schlemko is legend. If you take a really in depth look at his stats he has 1 goal 3 plus minus 4 assists 5 points and 6 penalty minutes. Which leads me to believe that year 2 is going to complete this modern day Leonardo Da Vinci's grand masterpiece. Man this guy is so smart. His plan has been to spell out 1,2,3,4,5,6 this whole time.

Reactions: montreal and Zorba

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Did you watch the season? I mean the Habs got scored on a ton. Not only the +/- means nothing, but most stats this season means nothing, everybody but Weber, Petry and Gallagher underperformed badly.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
When you are 3rd last in GA and 5th last is GF, the players' +/- is bound to be pretty bad.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So with that reasoning that would prove the point that yes Plus Minus does mean something in some case. When you have two players playing similar minutes, with similar players and a similar amount of games and one has a lot more minus... then there is something too it.

I think Drouin is an offensive tool. I believe that some players are pure offense and they should be used as such and deployed with players to support that. Gallagher is Gallagher and we would be hard pressed to find another beauty like that.
when pretty much everyone on the team is in the minus, no there's nothing to it... it's just different degrees of suckage.

Reactions: Tyson

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Drouin sucks in his own end, plays like a cream puff, puts in a lazy effort in his own end. Gallagher busts his ass at both ends night in and night out.

All true. However Gallagher played a good chunk of the year with Plekanec, one of the few + players on the team. Playing with a defensively responsible center definitely helped Gallagher's +/-. Actually, they probably helped each other's +/-.

It would be interesting to see if Gallagher's +/- worsened after the Plek trade.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
They all had a rougher first half then played better/had improved plus minuses after the all-star break.

Drouin 33 games 20 points and -6
Galchenyuk 33 games 23 points and -7
Petry 33 games 20 points and -8

Reactions: muzion

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Bergevin may have been off a tad when he said our D was better than last year’s
Nah Marc was correct! Our D was much improved this year but the problem is them. They just couldn't find the answer in the room ;)

Reactions: Tyson

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah deflect blame and responsibility has become Bergevin’s legacy. I doubt anything changes Anytime soon
Well he always says "it's all on me" but then continues to blame everyone else.
Like someone saying "hey no offence but you're fat and ugly!"
It's just nonsense.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It's just nonsense.

It’s like anytime someone says “I’m not racist, but...”, they are about to say something racist.

I find myself saying “I don’t want to sound cheap, but...” enough to realize I am cheap af at times.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Petry did the same thing when he was the #1 during his final season in Edmonton.
Not a #1 guy.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Petry did the same thing when he was the #1 during his final season in Edmonton.
Not a #1 guy.
BINGO! It's not fair to force Petry into the #1 role on a team with NO other good defensemen to back him and expect him to deliver. Maybe on a team with a strong D you can step into that role but not when the rest are terrible.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Remember how I said I never liked Petry and pointed out how he was -47 over two seasons with Edmonton? Good times.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Remember how I said I never liked Petry and pointed out how he was -47 over two seasons with Edmonton? Good times.
Remember how awful those teams were during that period. They were similar to what we had to watch this year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Plus/Minus is a pretty lousy stat. We know that both Drouin and Chucky are...challenged defensively, so this doesn't come as much surprise, especially since a lot of their production is on the PP. And we have other statistical evidence to support it. Petry isn't surprising because he's served as the top defenceman on a lousy team and been asked to carry the puck a lot. With very few exceptions, top defenceman on lousy teams have a horrific +/-. Karlsson is -25 in 71 games. OEL is -28. Keith is -29. Elder was only -18. Not sure its telling. Petry isn't a defensive stalwart, but its unfair to him and dangerous for management to oversell +/-.

Remember when plus/minus has always been a terrible stat and Petry has basically been the only healthy D-man in Montreal this season that could be a top-3 guy on a playoff team? Good times.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Remember how awful those teams were during that period. They were similar to what we had to watch this year.

Don't care. Petry is nothing more than a 2nd pairing Dman on his best days when you're lucky enough to not get 3rd pairing Petry on some nights. Under Gainey we had Hamrlik at 5.5M who filled in admirably when Markov our #1D went down. Old man Hammer at 36 was way better than Petry ever was be even at 26.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's just nonsense.
He doesn't even say "It's on me" anymore. Hasn't for two years. At the end of last season he threw his players under the bus and he's already done it this year at his mid-season presser where he said "The answers are in the room", meaning (I guess) that "I got the right players; they're just under-achieving"

In Bergevin's world, he doesn't screw up; it's the players who fail him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Don't care. Petry is nothing more than a 2nd pairing Dman on his best days when you're lucky enough to not get 3rd pairing Petry on some nights. Under Gainey we had Hamrlik at 5.5M who filled in admirably when Markov our #1D went down. Old man Hammer at 36 was way better than Petry ever was be even at 26.

Hamrlik had better D support, was a 1st OA pick and commanded far more of the team's cap than Petry. He should have been better than Petry.

Reactions: Deebs

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Hamrlik had better D support, was a 1st OA pick and commanded far more of the team's cap than Petry. He should have been better than Petry.

Good because he was. It is Bergevin's job to make the defense better. Petry is who MB targeted knowing that Markov was on his last legs and would be retiring, made worse by trading his Norris Dman man for an old cripple. Gainey is a winner, Bergevin signs losers... unless it's for one year and then they leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad