Galchenyk/Petry/Drouin -89

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Good because he was. It is Bergevin's job to make the defense better. Petry is who MB targeted knowing that Markov was on his last legs and would be retiring, made worse by trading his Norris Dman man for an old cripple. Gainey is a winner, Bergevin signs losers... unless it's for one year and then they leave.

Uh, Petry is a good defenceman. A very good one. Saying Hamrlik was better doesn't mean Petry is bad. Bergevin isn't a good GM, but oversimplifying their regimes like saying "Gainey is a winner, Bergevin signs losers" is worthless. Gainey made bad moves and Bergevin made good ones.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I've followed Petry since his rookie call up game in Edmonton. He played something like 246 games for the Oil.. (which at the time of his trade was 46th all time in games played for that franchise!!). They didn't even have a tribute video on his return game with the Habs. I suppose they didn't want to call attention to what a fool McTavish was. With the Oil he was thrown out there to sink or swim, night in, night out, against the Kopitars, Sedins and Getzlafs... many many defensmen came through there in his time and most are off into oblivion but Petry stuck... Now he finishes 24th in the league in scoring. Heck, the Oilers highest scoring D was 69th in the league, Darnell Nurse... D purgatory is alive and well in Oil Country...

When he came to the Habs that Spring, Mark Bergevin was his liberator from the abyss. The first night he played for the Habs against the Sharks, he got the trade news at 6:00 AM and having traveled two connections and a 56 minute car ride down the 105 at rush hour, walks in the arena 20 minutes before warm ups and played 18 steady minutes for Coach MT... I remember all these hard core guys.. (like Prust, Eller and others pounding on the fore check going to the corners and battling.. I thought. 'damn this is a whole new ball game here... it seems that that team has been dismantled...

he's played LONGGGG MINUTES on shltty teams 6 of 7 years or so.. this year after the Habs were eliminated they shut his minutes back some .. I think they are going to trade him

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Uh, Petry is a good defenceman. A very good one. Saying Hamrlik was better doesn't mean Petry is bad. Bergevin isn't a good GM, but oversimplifying their regimes like saying "Gainey is a winner, Bergevin signs losers" is worthless. Gainey made bad moves and Bergevin made good ones.
Agreed. Bergevin can still suck even if he occasionally gets a good player. Petry was our best defenseman this season, regardless of his plus-minus, which is more a reflection of the team than the individual. He was on the ice a lot. He put up points. He did, in Weber's absence, something that pretty much no other Habs blue liner did: step up.

We need to stop picking the fly poop out of the pepper all the time. There are plenty of things wrong with this team so why cherry pick the few bright spots just to dump on them? Petry isn't what's wrong with this team. Price too, while he had a bad year (when he wasn't injured) has a proven track record and deserves to be cut some slack. He is not the issue either. Julien isn't the issue.

The issue is the same issue as it was the day Bergevin was hired: a lack of scoring and no decent centers to help generate that scoring. Fix that issue and all the other areas will start looking a lot better. Problem is, in the six years that Bergevin has been on the job, he's never once tried to do that. All he's done is try to convert wingers into centers and fourth liners into first liners with predictable results. Ask yourselves this: Is there anyone on this roster who's playing where they should be on the depth chart? Drouin is a center who should be playing wing. Galchenyuk is a winger who should be playing center. Danault is a top 6 who should be a bottom six. Petry is a first pairing who should be a second pairing. Alzner is a second pairing who should be a third pairing. Froese and Schlemko are in the NHL when they should be in the AHL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Agreed. Bergevin can still suck even if he occasionally gets a good player. Petry was our best defenseman this season, regardless of his plus-minus, which is more a reflection of the team than the individual. He was on the ice a lot. He put up points. He did, in Weber's absence, something that pretty much no other Habs blue liner did: step up.

We need to stop picking the fly poop out of the pepper all the time. There are plenty of things wrong with this team so why cherry pick the few bright spots just to dump on them? Petry isn't what's wrong with this team. Price too, while he had a bad year (when he wasn't injured) has a proven track record and deserves to be cut some slack. He is not the issue either. Julien isn't the issue.

The issue is the same issue as it was the day Bergevin was hired: a lack of scoring and no decent centers to help generate that scoring. Fix that issue and all the other areas will start looking a lot better. Problem is, in the six years that Bergevin has been on the job, he's never once tried to do that. All he's done is try to convert wingers into centers and fourth liners into first liners with predictable results. Ask yourselves this: Is there anyone on this roster who's playing where they should be on the depth chart? Drouin is a center who should be playing wing. Galchenyuk is a winger who should be playing center. Danault is a top 6 who should be a bottom six. Petry is a first pairing who should be a second pairing. Alzner is a second pairing who should be a third pairing. Froese and Schlemko are in the NHL when they should be in the AHL.

Eh, the defence is a new issue. Particularly how they help facilitate offense. That needs to be addressed too. The center situation is also worse, since there isn't a Plekanec in their prime on the team. The winger situation is better though.

Reactions: Habset

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It’s like anytime someone says “I’m not racist, but...”, they are about to say something racist.

I find myself saying “I don’t want to sound cheap, but...” enough to realize I am cheap af at times.

By injecting the personal critique, you validate the statement with credibility.

I've made enough mistakes in my life to recognize the truth of it. ;)

Reactions: Tighthead

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
He doesn't even say "It's on me" anymore. Hasn't for two years. At the end of last season he threw his players under the bus and he's already done it this year at his mid-season presser where he said "The answers are in the room", meaning (I guess) that "I got the right players; they're just under-achieving"

In Bergevin's world, he doesn't screw up; it's the players who fail him.

In my mind, he has this year and will be fired before next season but truth be told, we may have him even longer. Can you imagine 2-3 more years of this idiot?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
In my mind, he has this year and will be fired before next season but truth be told, we may have him even longer. Can you imagine 2-3 more years of this idiot?
Molson is too cheap to pay anyone to stay home and not work. He found something for Therrien to do after he was let go and he'll do the same with Bergevin. However long his contract goes is how long we're stuck with him.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
It was a crazy year for Petry, last year he sets a career high in pts with 28, this year he gets more assists (30) then he's ever had pts. He's now put up 70 pts in the last 2 years in 162 games.

He was forced into a role he's not meant for, so I wasn't knocking him as he's just not a #1 defensemen.
It would be good to see what it looked like when he was partnered with Alzner and when he was not. I bet you there is a very big difference even though he is so called not fit for the No1 spot. I also think he did pretty good this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Plus minus is a poor stat but it's still telling that 2 forwards were a combined -59 and that equals the next 5 worst forwards (Pac, Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, Shaw)

If you play big minutes and are a huge minus, that's an excellent sign you're a top player on a godawful team and its the other guys fault not yours. The biggests minuses every year tend to be good players in bad situations.

Galchenyuk was 6th in ice time among forwards, just 5 seconds more then Gallagher and 7 seconds more then Byron while being 3 seconds less then Pleks.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
+/- includes ENG and SHG. Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Petry were out for basically every PP and every time the team was down a goal and had the goalie pulled. Over the course of a season that adds up to a lot of bogus minuses that don't mean anything.

As has been pointed out, OEL was like -25, Keith -29, Karlsson -25, etc etc. The best players on bad teams are always the worst +/- players since they're always out for a late goal with the net empty and thus are on the ice for a lot of ENG. Deslauriers is +7 because his only special teams are PK so he gets a few bonus pluses from SHG, and he's never on the ice when the Habs goalie is pulled late in a game.

I'm not arguing Galchenyuk or Drouin are Selke candidates (although I think Petry is solid defensively) but I'm not remotely concerned about their +/-.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The race for the green jacket has really been something this year.
DeepWetAnt-size_restricted.gif

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
In my opinion petry has been bergevins only actually competant move with danault. Sprinkle a byron in there and you have three good moves in the span of 6 years lol. That's bad for a guy that seems to have the most activity on the trade block.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
In my opinion petry has been bergevins only actually competant move with danault. Sprinkle a byron in there and you have three good moves in the span of 6 years lol. That's bad for a guy that seems to have the most activity on the trade block.
Yeah!
3 good moves minus 20+ bad moves puts you in a serious deficit.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->