Gagner Buyout?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It makes a great deal of sense if they have a FA in hand to replace him, like Frolik.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not an FA - but there are those Oshie rumors.

Oshie ain't free. Don't want to pay that trade price. I could see a Boedker swap, though. They broke off talks until after the draft.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Even if we have something lined up I still think we could get an average prospect or a spare part for him

Because that's what we gave up for him ;)

If we could get something for Gagner, we would have gotten something for Gagner. Maloney is not stupid. For whatever reason, Gagner does not have much value around the league.

That's if you believe this rumor, of course.

Last edited:

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Still how does Ganger not have any value what so ever?

It doesn't. When you factor in the $1.6m the Lightning are paying, someone has to figure he's worth $3.4m and a $3.2m cap hit. Buyout makes little sense to me...his replacement would cost just as much if not more, wouldn't it?

I can't imagine we couldn't get a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If rumor is true, then GDMD certainly would have attempted to trade him for a pick. Clearly no market for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You have to pay him less than the league minimum to go away. It's really not an issue. Maloney probably has another use in mind for that freed up 2.7 mil.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
He's a fine middle six winger on a sub par team. There is zero reason to do this. He's one of very, very, very few players we have who can put up 40pts.

This is a knock against him. He is a below average undersized top six winger. Other teams would rather use other options for their top six. Hence, this is why teams are not willing to give anything up for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Should also add that there's definitely a market for a retained Gagner but Maloney got burned hard by the Rundblad deal by retaining a contract he really didn't have to. You can only have 3. So just buy him out and be done with it.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
If rumor is true, then GDMD certainly would have attempted to trade him for a pick. Clearly no market for him.

Oh I agree that if the rumor is true, then Maloney couldn't find a willing buyer. That's why I don't believe the rumor. Some cap floor team would be willing to take him on for a low pick. To Maloney, a 7th rounder pick is better than a buyout...you can't tell me nobody would offer that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Should also add that there's definitely a market for a retained Gagner but Maloney got burned hard by the Rundblad deal by retaining a contract he really didn't have to. You can only have 3. So just buy him out and be done with it.

But Rundblad is off the books. We can retain another 50% on Gagner. What am I missing?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But Rundblad is off the books. We can retain another 50% on Gagner. What am I missing?

Retaining Yandle, so that's 1 slot gone. Gagner would be 2, leaving Maloney with basically one slot to use at the deadline. Erat trade got nixed because of Rundblad's retention, remember?

Better to just take the BO hit and keep the flexibility.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
No other sources have picked up this story yet. Could be BS.

Think about it.
When did we know about the Ribeiro buy out - not until he was waived
Management secure enough with rookies in the line-up ATT?
Have we done such a great job with Asset management lately to just dump a player?
Has Gagner been such a bad player?
Are we secure in filling the roster and reaching the cap floor?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We'll have to buy-out Gagner to afford Dougie Hamilton. Especially considering how few of the new jerseys we'll sell (based on the latest Twitter hint).

Who cares if he's the top scoring forward from last season still on the roster? We don't need offense. MOAR D!!!1!1!!!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We'll have to buy-out Gagner to afford Dougie Hamilton. Especially considering how few of the new jerseys we'll sell (based on the latest Twitter hint).

Who cares if he's the top scoring forward from last season still on the roster? We don't need offense. MOAR D!!!1!1!!!
Agree on the uni's...not loving what I've thus far today.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Boy, for a team that has the lowest budget in the league, Maloney sure likes to waste money retaining on contracts and buying people out like he still works for the New York Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad