Gagner Buyout?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Arizona Coyotes are seriously considering buying out the contract of Sam Gagner, which has the Toronto Maple Leafs interested.

The cash-strapped Coyotes are on the hunt for centremen, and have come to the conclusion that Gagner simply isn’t a fit. Arizona GM Don Maloney has been attempting to trade Gagner while at the NHL Draft, but chances are he would have to take someone else’s bad contract back. Maloney may settle for a buy-out at one-third of the money owed, as Gagner is still just 25 years old.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coyotes-considering-buying-out-sam-gagner/

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What the ****?

The buyout would be almost nothing as he's under 25, so 1/3 of his salary. 1/3 x 3.4 = 1.122. Then split that over 2 yrs = 561k cap hit.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Yeah Tampa has 1.6. Not Surprised though, Gagner sucks. Sad that he was our highest scoring forward and we want to buy him out though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's a fine middle six winger on a sub par team. There is zero reason to do this. He's one of very, very, very few players we have who can put up 40pts.

I'm calling it right now: we're going to trade him for ****ing Bryan Bickell. Watch it happen. Ugh.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You are telling me a buyout is better then finding a trade partner? I am not seeing this picture thing, its not like he was Dave Moss last year.

After they trade Gagner for Bickell they'll re-sign Moss. They cite the need for bigger, stronger veteran players to compete in the Pacific Division. It's going to happen.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I mean the article starts with "cash strapped". That is out of scope. It should read, "Already $18 million under the salary cap, Coyotes might buyout a player"

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
After they trade Gagner for Bickell they'll re-sign Moss. They cite the need for bigger, stronger veteran players to compete in the Pacific Division. It's going to happen.

We have questioned you as being DM in real life so this must be the real reason. Thanks maloney.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I just find it hard to believe a team can't use him as is or with some retention from the Coyotes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Spector fixed his article. It'd cost 500k for 2 seasons to get rid of him. Not a huge deal, but still wasteful.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's a fine middle six winger on a sub par team. There is zero reason to do this. He's one of very, very, very few players we have who can put up 40pts.

I'm calling it right now: we're going to trade him for ****ing Bryan Bickell. Watch it happen. Ugh.

Morgan tweeted a few days back that the Bickell to AZ rumor is untrue. No interest.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This smells fishy to me. I wonder whether an interested team is floating this rumor to prevent a minor bidding war from starting. "Don't pay too much for Gagner. They'll just buy him out."

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

I think it's Korpi for Bickell, but we'll see.....

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Spector fixed his article. It'd cost 500k for 2 seasons to get rid of him. Not a huge deal, but still wasteful.
but the $3.3M the Yotes would have paid him may go to better use...we'll find out tonight.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pens fan coming in peace. How does this make sense? Didn't he just have a fairly good year for you guys? What do you think the plan is for hitting the cap floor?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pens fan coming in peace. How does this make sense? Didn't he just have a fairly good year for you guys? What do you think the plan is for hitting the cap floor?

They already are in on a FA RWer to replace him. He is really only a 2nd line RW, nothing else. Lack of versatility is his downfall.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Hitting the cap floor won't be an issue. Sign players, trade for a contract on LTIR, etc. this isn't a concern

Garner can't play C. We have unbelievable depth at LW. Creating a spot for Domi in top 2 lines by moving out Gagner. Minimal $ impact.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
This wouldn't make much sense at all. That being the case it will probably happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad