News Article: Gagne on Flyers: 'I can't believe I'm not back'

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
why? I believe him. Holmgren's a cutthroat piece of garbage when it come to dealing with people. we all know this is a business but if he lied and led them to believe the only reason there was no contract was because of the cap and they had to wait until we got closer to the season to sign him because of room then that's just insanely F'd up to do to any player especially a guy who's been a part of your organization for a long time. None of us know what happened in terms of the conversations but i would be more inclined to believe gagne than homer. Just have some goddamed respect for people as humans and let him know its up in the air and there's no guarantee. doesn't sound like that's what happened. The guys only 34, he wants to play. I know because we got lecavlier it doesn't seem like it but this has to hurt us when it comes to signing players. There's probably a ton of guys we could've gotten but didn't because of this B.S.

If he actually guaranteed him a contract, then ok I will admit that is **** up. But I don't believe that was the case here. It seems like Simon just assumed a lot and you know what happens when you assume. Gagne's agent should have done his due diligence and listened to other potential offers (if their were any).

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
It's the fact that they jerked him around the whole offseason making him think he was gonna have a shot at making the team. If they didn't want him, they should've been up-front with him from the beginning.

Maybe they just weren't sure one way or the other. How come nobody ever thinks of that?

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
So the team passing on an old injury prone player to give time to young guys is a stupid move ?

If they have zero intention of him makimg team, why waste his time with a tryout? Flyers need to move off these sentimental moves to give young guys chances.

Gagne is out begging for teams to take him , yet still unsigned ?

A 3rd line of Gags Couts Read would get pushed around by a jr high girls team, he doesnt fill a need on his team, its pretty simple.

Really it's more the apparent misleading that I don't like. If they think they have someone better, then okay. But be honest with the player about it. This is an organization that publicly prides itself on how they treat their players, present and former. Also, I don't think Gagne has a reason to lie about what went on, so when you say he's out "begging" for teams to take him, I don't think that's the case.

No one who wanted him back thinks he's a 30 goal scorer anymore, but personally I don't think it's a stretch to think that he's better than McGinn or whichever other Phantom is going to compete for that spot.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It's the fact that they jerked him around the whole offseason making him think he was gonna have a shot at making the team. If they didn't want him, they should've been up-front with him from the beginning.

Well i believe they did plan on keeping him till Hextall said no ****ing way. Sure it sucks that Gags has no team, but if him and his agent are that dumb to not have a plan B , dont cry and blame it all on the Flyers.

There are better players than Gags out there still without a deal, so this comes off pretty pathetic to me that people think the Flyers are the reason he doesnt have work.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey

Exactly. I think Holmgren did the same thing to Carle last year. Carle and or his agent, however, were smart enough to look elsewhere for a contract.

XS Chop

May 23, 2008
Maple Shade, NJ
Big Gagne fan and I'd love to see him retire as a Flyer but I haven't seen even an estimation of the numbers they were discussing. Is it possible they were just asking for more than he'd be worth as a 3rd line winger and that's why they've shut this down?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Exactly. I think Holmgren did the same thing to Carle last year. Carle and or his agent, however, were smart enough to look elsewhere for a contract.

If he comes out and says he turned down offers to play with Flyers, thats one thing, but to not explore other options is stupid. I dont think there are options tho.

Lets say next April u lose your job, but your boss says i want u back in Oct. What do you do ?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Big Gagne fan and I'd love to see him retire as a Flyer but I haven't seen even an estimation of the numbers they were discussing. Is it possible they were just asking for more than he'd be worth as a 3rd line winger and that's why they've shut this down?

Of course that is an option, Cleary did it to the Wings, difference is he found a team to invite him to camp to force their hand, Gags cant find a team. He is trying, but no takers.

Cleary got what he wanted, but wnded up taking alot less.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012

Timmy P. reported this so I'm not sure if it's true, but when free agency started he said Gagne and the Flyers agreed on a dollar amount...or something like that.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
The three main complaints I see about Gagne are that he's soft, injury prone, and his offensive skills have diminished. He's definitely not very physical but I don't think he shies away from all contact like some here suggest; he's not Phil Kessel. His injury history is a legitimate concern, but if he gets hurt that's when you call up one the young guys. You need depth in this league to win. Lastly, for those who say "he can't finish anymore", on the third line he wouldn't be asked to be a big point producer, just play a sound two-way game.

I believe Gagne is still a good player and I'm a bit disappointed he won't be a Flyer anymore, but I guess I'll move on. :cry:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think it was a "hint". I get the impression from this that they told him "your coming back". That said i didn't want him back but i do like him as a player and think he should have gotten a better chance earlier in the summer to sign with another team. we obviously hogged him and led him on cause we didn't know if we needed him or not. I'd think Holmgren was a genius for things like that but then you look at the Pejorative Slured contracts he gives people and i realize he's just a desperate a hole. Can't wait til Hextall takes over.

For all we know Hextall is the one who convinced Homgren that it was time to move on from Gagne.

Gagne should be thanking the Flyers for spending a draft pick on him last season when he was a healthy scratch in LA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't want to see Gagne here on a try-out. People are pissed off now, imagine the discussion when it's apparent that he wouldn't have made the team. They re-signed Hall, they signed Raffl, they think McGinn and Laughton are NHL players, and nobody moved off the roster among those who you'd consider depth players aside from Fedotenko and Knuble who were never coming back. Couturier and Brayden Schenn need bigger roles (and it seems Schenn is going to be a full-time winger) Would love to know how exactly Gagne felt he would have fit on the team, they already had too many bodies in camp.

Holmgren should have been up front about the intentions, if he ever was. It didn't sound like there was ever some kind of promise, just that Gagne was going to have to wait to see if the Flyers would even make it work.

In turn, Gagne helped put himself in a position to be left holding the bag when he instructed his agent to not talk to other teams, especially when it became apparent that Holmgren wasn't actively working to make sure the room was there. After all, he did force Gagne's hand when he was traded, but all was quiet when Gagne came back and was waiting for a contract. My memory might be foggy from the summer, but I'm sure at some point, someone in the media claimed Holmgren told Gagne to do what he thought he had to do.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
yea. i am. if fact i wish there was an avatar to punch your laughing one in the face.

freeman-he-mad.jpg

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
how is it we all know what Homer says publicly is EXACTLy opposite of what will come to pass..

and Gags didnt know that ???

weird.

ps "Bryz is safe and totaly not being boughtout"... BOOM, guess what Bryz your outa here..

hahaha

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Yeah I agree. This organization has treated far worse players a lot better (R. Jones, Cote, Shelley, Hatcher, Shelley, Lappy, Little, Leighton, etc). I understand that doesn't mean hand the guy a contract, but he is pretty much saying he wants to be a Flyer and is willing to tryout to prove himself...I dont see the harm in giving him that opportunity considering what he has done for their organization. The worst part of Gags is this isn't the first time he's been screwed over by them.

Cote brought absolutely nothing to the table...yet they gave him a roster spot for multiple years, then let him retire into a coaching job. They can do all that but not give Simon Gagne a tryout? C'mon.

Watch him sign with the Pens and put up 30-40 goals playing on Crosbys wing.

Holmgren puts too much of an emphasis on being tough. Don't get me wrong - tough is great - like Wendell Clark, Owen Nolan, Derian Hatcher tough, but not these guys. I guess I understand Dave Brown and Ian Laperierre because they seem to be very good in their roles - but I don't get Berube at all. He's a total cement head.

I don't see how they think Cleary is that much of a better player than Gagne now. I think he's better - but not much. And why wouldn't they even consider Larose? Is he totally washed up?

Not sure why they didn't give him a clearer impression of where they stood. Gagne should have been looking elsewhere anyway. Is Cleary or Gagne better than McGinn, Raffl, etc.?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It sucks for Gagne from the point of view that he was somewhat strung along by Holmgren, but as a long time Flyer, I think he should be pretty well aware of the cut throat nature of that organization.

The Flyers always want to compete and they're very aggressive. It's a strength that makes guys want to go there, but at the same time, there's a lot of casualties from their somewhat impatient ways.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like Gagne, but maybe he shuld be questioning why he was never signed to AT LEAST A PTO leading up to camp. All signs were there, he chose to ignore them.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
This leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. This is why we have to overspend to get free agents.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
This leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. This is why we have to overspend to get free agents.
Yeah, like Lecavalier, who turned down more money from other teams, or Emery who signed for a pittance for a chance?

We just signed the best UFA forward, over 20 teams trying. We signed the best UFA goalie. We signed the best UFA offensive Dman. We signed Raffl and Straka when other teams were competing for their rights.

I'm sick of Gagne's whining, it's over. Grow up.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Do you know what other teams were offering? Nope. The flyers were most likely top bidders for all players they signed. Why would players give the flyers discounts over other teams in premium markets that want their service?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Holmgren should have been up front about the intentions, if he ever was. It didn't sound like there was ever some kind of promise, just that Gagne was going to have to wait to see if the Flyers would even make it work.

This is the nail on the head. Homer may have said, 'let's see what happens' but that was in the spring, when there were rumours that he was trying to trade Matt Read, or that Talbot might go in a deal with Coburn to Edm or Mtl.

IF another top 9 forward had been dealt, there may have been room/need for someone like Gagne.

We've been discussing this all summer. If all the other fwds are back, and Laughton (and /or Raffl or McGinn or Noebels) makes the team, there is just no room for Gagne.

Homer had clearly seen this. I still don't know why they thought Cleary would fit into the situation, but at least we dodged that bullet.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Do you know what other teams were offering? Nope. The flyers were most likely top bidders for all players they signed. Why would players give the flyers discounts over other teams in premium markets that want their service?

It was reported that Vinny left money on the table to sign with the Flyers (according to his agent). Now I know it's his agent but you people are taking Carter's agent & Gagne's agent for their word here when it shed's a negative light but not Vinny's when it does the opposite.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Gags just isn't the type of third liner we need. We have read and couts to supply some offense for the third line, we need a guy who can bury himself in the corner and clear space for them boys. Crash the net hard and try to get some ugly goals, gagne isn't the type of player to go for that. Love em, but it's time. Mcginn or Laughton really provide that pop on the third line which the other two have in Simmonds and schenn/Hartnell. We want to have a tough lineup to play against all the way through, not a soft third line

Also, everyone over pays for free agents, nature of the beast.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Kind of a dick move, but it is a business. I truly thought that Gagne was the better option of what we were looking at, but I guess the front office thought otherwise. The strung him along and the shouldn't have done that, but the Flyers have been pretty good to their former players over the years, so I doubt this has any serious negative impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad