News Article: Gagne on Flyers: 'I can't believe I'm not back'

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Kinda messed up.

“All summer, the Philadelphia Flyers kept hinting that they wanted to offer me a new contract and I even told Robert Sauvé, my agent, not to negotiate with other teams,†Gagne said. “We trusted them. We put all our eggs in one basket and we got caught. We never thought we’d be stuck in this situation at this time of the year…â€

“I’m disappointed,†Gagne said. “I knew that hockey was a business, but with all the positive discussions we had with the GM Paul Holmgren, I can’t believe I’m not back with them.â€

Gagne also told La Presse that when reports surfaced about Dan Cleary being offered a tryout with the Flyers, he and his agent, Bob Sauve, felt, “it was like a slap in the face."

Link to the CSNphilly story by Tim P: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/gagne-flyers-i-cant-believe-im-not-back

Full story: http://www.simongagne.com/2013/09/13/article-simon-gagne-its-like-a-slap-in-the-face/

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Cry me a river Simon. Thanks for all you've done for this organization but don't ***** like a little baby on your way out because you didn't get your way.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For all that Paul Holmgren expresses about loyalty, he seems to have greatly mishandled discussions with Simon Gagne. The least you can do as a GM is be upfront with a player over if you have a genuine interest in him. If they aren't even interested in inviting Gagne to camp, he deserved to know that a long time ago.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Disgraceful

Stupid if you ask me. This is a business and he should have had his agent kicking tires to see if there was "any" interest from other teams for his services. To put all his eggs in one basket at this point in his career was not bright at all. Something is wrong here and I just cannot put my finger on it. But if I was Simon's advisor. I would be giving him better advice than what he was getting that's for sure. To sit tight on a "hint" at best is not very bright. I would love to see him with the Habs.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
Yeah this sucks but Gagne and his agent should've known better. Especially after Carter. If I was a player I wouldn't believe a word Homer says.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Was it Jeff Carter's agent who said Homer made the promise he wasn't being traded? If so, I love how we all believe a lawyer(presumably) like he would never tell a lie.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
For all that Paul Holmgren expresses about loyalty, he seems to have greatly mishandled discussions with Simon Gagne. The least you can do as a GM is be upfront with a player over if you have a genuine interest in him. If they aren't even interested in inviting Gagne to camp, he deserved to know that a long time ago.

This. After all the guy has done for this organization, the least you can do is be honest with him. Don't string him along and then kick him to the curb.

I usually defend Homer, but this is a **** move by him and the organization.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
He earned at least a try out

Disappointed

Yeah I agree. This organization has treated far worse players a lot better (R. Jones, Cote, Shelley, Hatcher, Shelley, Lappy, Little, Leighton, etc). I understand that doesn't mean hand the guy a contract, but he is pretty much saying he wants to be a Flyer and is willing to tryout to prove himself...I dont see the harm in giving him that opportunity considering what he has done for their organization. The worst part of Gags is this isn't the first time he's been screwed over by them.

Cote brought absolutely nothing to the table...yet they gave him a roster spot for multiple years, then let him retire into a coaching job. They can do all that but not give Simon Gagne a tryout? C'mon.

Watch him sign with the Pens and put up 30-40 goals playing on Crosbys wing.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Flyers have every intention of giving Gags a shot, someone new comes to organization that know Gags most recent seasons, and now we pass. I 100% beleive this is all Hexy and i trust him with his decision. I love Gags ( only current guy in my top 5) but Gags doesnt fit the 3rd line role we would need him to play and am ok with passing on him.

He is not a top 6 player anymore on a team with good offense, hope he plays somewhere tho.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Cry me a river Simon. Thanks for all you've done for this organization but don't ***** like a little baby on your way out because you didn't get your way.

why? I believe him. Holmgren's a cutthroat piece of garbage when it come to dealing with people. we all know this is a business but if he lied and led them to believe the only reason there was no contract was because of the cap and they had to wait until we got closer to the season to sign him because of room then that's just insanely F'd up to do to any player especially a guy who's been a part of your organization for a long time. None of us know what happened in terms of the conversations but i would be more inclined to believe gagne than homer. Just have some goddamed respect for people as humans and let him know its up in the air and there's no guarantee. doesn't sound like that's what happened. The guys only 34, he wants to play. I know because we got lecavlier it doesn't seem like it but this has to hurt us when it comes to signing players. There's probably a ton of guys we could've gotten but didn't because of this B.S.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Stupid if you ask me. This is a business and he should have had his agent kicking tires to see if there was "any" interest from other teams for his services. To put all his eggs in one basket at this point in his career was not bright at all. Something is wrong here and I just cannot put my finger on it. But if I was Simon's advisor. I would be giving him better advice than what he was getting that's for sure. To sit tight on a "hint" at best is not very bright. I would love to see him with the Habs.

I don't think it was a "hint". I get the impression from this that they told him "your coming back". That said i didn't want him back but i do like him as a player and think he should have gotten a better chance earlier in the summer to sign with another team. we obviously hogged him and led him on cause we didn't know if we needed him or not. I'd think Holmgren was a genius for things like that but then you look at the Pejorative Slured contracts he gives people and i realize he's just a desperate a hole. Can't wait til Hextall takes over.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE 3h
Holmgren says front office army discussed tryout contract for Gagne after Cleary opted out. He/they decided not to offer, go with young guys

They couldn't even offer him a tryout? What would be the harm in that?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Boy, I continue to be just thrilled with the way the team is run these days. Oh wait, no... No.

So the team passing on an old injury prone player to give time to young guys is a stupid move ?

If they have zero intention of him makimg team, why waste his time with a tryout? Flyers need to move off these sentimental moves to give young guys chances.

Gagne is out begging for teams to take him , yet still unsigned ?

A 3rd line of Gags Couts Read would get pushed around by a jr high girls team, he doesnt fill a need on his team, its pretty simple.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
why? I believe him. Holmgren's a cutthroat piece of garbage when it come to dealing with people. we all know this is a business but if he lied and led them to believe the only reason there was no contract was because of the cap and they had to wait until we got closer to the season to sign him because of room then that's just insanely F'd up to do to any player especially a guy who's been a part of your organization for a long time. None of us know what happened in terms of the conversations but i would be more inclined to believe gagne than homer. Just have some goddamed respect for people as humans and let him know its up in the air and there's no guarantee. doesn't sound like that's what happened. The guys only 34, he wants to play. I know because we got lecavlier it doesn't seem like it but this has to hurt us when it comes to signing players. There's probably a ton of guys we could've gotten but didn't because of this B.S.
I don't think it was a "hint". I get the impression from this that they told him "your coming back". That said i didn't want him back but i do like him as a player and think he should have gotten a better chance earlier in the summer to sign with another team. we obviously hogged him and led him on cause we didn't know if we needed him or not. I'd think Holmgren was a genius for things like that but then you look at the Pejorative Slured contracts he gives people and i realize he's just a desperate a hole. Can't wait til Hextall takes over.

:laugh:

You're way too emotional over this.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
So the team passing on an old injury prone player to give time to young guys is a stupid move ?

If they have zero intention of him makimg team, why waste his time with a tryout? Flyers need to move off these sentimental moves to give young guys chances.

It's the fact that they jerked him around the whole offseason making him think he was gonna have a shot at making the team. If they didn't want him, they should've been up-front with him from the beginning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad