Recalled/Assigned: Gabriel Bourque to San Antonio

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I doubt McLeod would be okay with being sent to the AHL. On the other hand I'm not okay with seeing him play for the Avs anymore.
I'll miss Bourque. Thought he did fine.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You really think sending an 8 year veteran of the team to the AHL would go well? Or that in general turning the AHL team into a dumping ground again might not yield the same results? Even if he would be fine or one player wouldn't have that much of an impact, it's the attitude that players that the NHL team would rather forget about should just be dumped on the AHL team like its a giant garbage can and then wonder why they can't win or develop players in a toxic environment.

I just disagree with this notion (that you've made more than once) that because some players reacted poorly for being in the AHL last season, that it means all players will.

Furthermore, I think McLeod, as a player/person, would handle the situation professionally (like Guenin did last year) if that were to ever happen. It's all moot though, as I stated I don't believe it will happen.

But again, while the action might be similar (sending a player to the AHL team), how a player/players react is not at all guaranteed to be the same.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
McLeod is a professional through and through. There is no way he would put himself before the team (any team). Plus he still gets an NHL salary.

If that was going to happen though, I'd hope McLeod ended up on the Manitoba Moose.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
McLeod on waivers? People might disagree with me, but I think he can get something legitmate in a trade. For instances, Parros, who was a way worse of a hockey player went for a 2nd round pick. Holden who we all know and have nightmares of, went for a 4th. I HIGHLY guarantee that one of the "old boys club" would give at least a 3rd for McLeod, perhaps even a "C" level prospect. Remember that one of the insiders, forgot which one it was in McKenzie, Dreger, or LeBrun said a couple years ago that a LOT of teams valued McLeod's game and leadership qualities.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
SEPH's right though... McLeod has value. Like I said, if McLeod doesn't have a role on this team by Dec/Jan trade him out of respect. I'd be surprised if the Avs didn't at least get a 4th round pick, but I'd say he has a 3rd and an AHL player or decent bottom 6 prospect sort of value.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
McLeod on waivers? People might disagree with me, but I think he can get something legitmate in a trade. For instances, Parros, who was a way worse of a hockey player went for a 2nd round pick. Holden who we all know and have nightmares of, went for a 4th. I HIGHLY guarantee that one of the "old boys club" would give at least a 3rd for McLeod, perhaps even a "C" level prospect. Remember that one of the insiders, forgot which one it was in McKenzie, Dreger, or LeBrun said a couple years ago that a LOT of teams valued McLeod's game and leadership qualities.

Saw the time of your post and your opening comment and I thought you were saying it just happened.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Some players don't mind the AHL. Wasn't it Mike Keane that spent half a dozen years or so in the AHL after he was done in the NHL?

Some guys just want to play the game for as long as someone will let/pay them.

Keane was also undrafted like McLeod. It's amazing the career those two made for themselves after being passed over in the draft.

Back on topic, I like what I saw of G.Bourque...but it was an awful small sample size for me. Seems like a fairly solid 4th liner.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
As much as I value McLeod as a player and believe he brings good things to the ice, I have to admit that he is no longer among the 12 best forwards on the team, not even in his role as a 4th liner. He would never pass through waivers, I'd definitely consider trading him though to let him continue to play somewhere where he's still needed. Scratching him for half the season would be a piss poor way to treat a guy who has given so much to this franchise.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't see a problem just keeping him right where he is. He'll get spot duty as the 13th guy, and maybe more if an injury happens. Then there's a warm body to have around next year when the expansion draft takes place. And really, Vegas is where a guy like him should probably be, where he'll get a fairly large role to play.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just because he lost his 'A' it doesn't mean he lost the character traits that got him that honor in the first place. I'm sure McLeod still plays a roll in the locker room, and if you are choosing between G. Bourque and McLeod and if on ice they are mostly equal and both understand they are going to be a #13 more than a #12, it seems a no-brainer for the Org which one to keep up.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I recall how Roy depended on McLeod to fill multiple roles and now, under JB, we (fans) question whether he would better serve the organization by being traded or demoted.

McLeod proved to me a couple of years ago that he was still a leader and could still play even though I had been of the mind that he was slow and should be replaced. I was wrong then. However, that was then and this is now. Do the Avs have better players that could replace McLeod?

I get that McLeod is very popular with the Avs fan base and has brought a lot of grit and character to the team. But I'm of the opinion that by next season, someone else will replace him on the fourth line (where he should be playing when given the opportunity).

P.S. - In fairness to Roy and the management, they signed Martinsen so I can't fault them as they saw something in him. And it appears as though they were right . . . but it's a very long season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad