Recalled/Assigned: Gabriel Bourque to San Antonio

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see this as anything IMO, Avs probably want him to get playing time and it seems that Avs will have McLeod/other 4th liner inserted here as the nacho guy. They will probably recall him if more injuries occur.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Probably something stupid like a Vogelhuber callup. I thought G Bourque was doing fine. Marty could have an off game and even though I like Cody, Bourque should have been his first replacement.

Then again maybe they're not happy with Gelinas (nor should they be) and want to scratch him for Bigras.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This should mean some type of move though right? I'm not going to go all crazy and think this means we just acquired Drouin and Lindholm but I guess this does likely mean a call up. Puts us at a 22 man roster I believe which NHL teams don't generally do unless they absolutely need the cap space.

If they're at 23 please correct me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But Bigras is hurt as well, right? I realize it's day-to-day but the timing would be kinda odd to call him up now.

Greer perhaps...?

Not sure what they'd do with an extra forward right now. If someone is coming up it should be a defenseman. Geertsen just got healthy so they can manage in SA to give one up.

They are at 22 without Gabriel. Roy had a light roster a lot of the time just because. It could be just to get him off nacho duty and to save some cap, which it probably is. But if Tyutin is going to be out a while then NHL teams usually don't like to roll with 6 defenseman.

Or they are planning to claim Frk ;)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They could simply be wanting to bank cap space. Does seem odd to do before tomorrow's game though. I'll put my money on them calling up a defensemen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah it's a busy week with 2 away games too. So with Bigras hurt (doesn't seem serious but we have zero information) fun is going to be who would it be? Siemens finally gets the call?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If they were just banking space, wouldn't they have done it yesterday? There's got to be somebody going til he other way.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If they were just banking space, wouldn't they have done it yesterday? There's got to be somebody going til he other way.

Agree.

My bet is Siemens.

My guilty hope is that Iginla's day off today wasn't because he's old and that he actually is going to miss a game (don't wish any physical injury or harm though). They are deciding to reward Greer with his AHL start and gift him a game on the top line in the NHL with Dutchy and Landy only to send him back again when Iggy's back

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Agree.

My bet is Siemens.

My guilty hope is that Iginla's day off today wasn't because he's old and that he actually is going to miss a game (don't wish any physical injury or harm though). They are deciding to reward Greer with his AHL start and gift him a game on the top line in the NHL with Dutchy and Landy only to send him back again when Iggy's back

Oh man that would be awesome.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
If Duncan gets called up does he have to pass through waivers again to be sent down, or is the 30-day thing still in effect?

30-day thing. He can be sent down and recalled as many times as the team desires in that time.

I don't believe he would qualify for an emergency callup otherwise though (if nothing changes after his 30-day window) since we have enough to dress a team.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Not sure what they'd do with an extra forward right now. If someone is coming up it should be a defenseman. Geertsen just got healthy so they can manage in SA to give one up.

Yeah...we can just roll with 5 D. ;)

Seriously though, Bednar just said they are going with 22 for now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like him and would prefer him in the lineup over 1 or 2 other guys who play regularly. Oh well, he'll probably be back at some point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This feels like a cost/cap cutting move. He's making 1/4 of what he makes in the NHL down in the AHL.

Bit of a chincy move IMO, I would be a little upset if I was Bourque. A 26 year old NHLer whose played ok doesn't need to go to the minors to "play some games so he stays ready to go." That's a development move. He's a hard working vet, he'd be ready to play if called upon. They skate the scratches like crazy to keep them in shape.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Cap savings is smart IMO. Bourque saves $4,444 a day he is down. Let's assume the unreasonable right now and say this fully stays until the deadline, that would give the Avs the ability to take on a ~7m contract from the deadline until the playoffs. Now that is completely unreasonable, but if they are smart like this and move a player up and down while they can, they can take their ~1-1.6m in space and make it closer to 3-4m by the deadline. This gives so much more flexibility for trades. With the small increase in the cap this year, I expect a number of teams to use this tactic early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad