Confirmed with Link: Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore and 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Like a Nash or Gaborik? The pitch from the club, from my interpretation, was build the core, especially the D, and pick your spots in acquiring elite talent. They just did the opposite here.

I don't think the fans understand how bad Slats has screwed up this team in just one year. It might take us missing the playoffs with no picks in the draft for them to realize it.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@stevezipay: Torts says Brassard will play center tonight, Moore in for Hamrlik”

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
The Predators were looking for prospects. We're looking for players to help the team now.

Completely different situations.

First of all, your comment belies that Forsberg is a highly touted prospect, and that Erat is an inconsistent 31 year old who has 2 years left at a sizable salary.

Second, how is John Moore going to help the Rangers this season? Dorsett is out for the regular season. So basically, you're saying that Brassard is going to do more to help the Rangers this season than Gaborik? A season where the Rangers may or may not qualify for the playoffs.

Anything can be spun negatively. The Preds just traded a perennial 50 pt scorer for a guy with mediocre stats in the Swedish Jr league.

Not really trying to spin it negatively; I just think it is the latest in a long, long list of events that show how much better a manager David Poile is than Glen Sather. You think this was a bad deal for the Preds? I think it was well worth the risk. But I'm not a huge Erat fan.

This is less actual commentary on the trade and more me just being a smartass:

But I can't shake the idea that this team had it's most successful season in 15 years...and exchanged 3 key roster players for 3 key roster players from the Blue Jackets. In two separate deals.

That was the first thought that came into my mind, as well. Maybe it's a Garden thing. The Knicks basically did the same thing reassembling a Nuggets team that was never good enough to go anywhere.

Melrose_Jr.

Feb 27, 2002
Providence, RI
Visit site
So much to say about how it came to this point, but really, if the team wasn't content with the status quo next season, they had to try and move his contract.

Now you just hope the new direction takes them closer to the goal and not further away from it. At this point though, the last year has been so disappointing for NYR, I'm almost indifferent.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think the fans understand how bad Slats has screwed up this team in just one year. It might take us missing the playoffs with no picks in the draft for them to realize it.

That's because, in a vacuum, the move that did it was a great trade.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not really trying to spin it negatively; I just think it is the latest in a long, long list of events that show how much better a manager David Poile is than Glen Sather. You think this was a bad deal for the Preds? I think it was well worth the risk. But I'm not a huge Erat fan.

I actually don't think either deal was a bad one.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave
Not a huge fan of gaborik but got a bad feeling about this trade..... Hopefully, I'm wrong.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Going to miss Gabs. Hope he lights it up for Jackets.

As for the return not too thrilled right now but lets see how Brassard and Moore fit in. Moore is the wildcard.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
First of all, your comment belies that Forsberg is a highly touted prospect, and that Erat is an inconsistent 31 year old who has 2 years left at a sizable salary.

Second, how is John Moore going to help the Rangers this season? Dorsett is out for the regular season. So basically, you're saying that Brassard is going to do more to help the Rangers this season than Gaborik? A season where the Rangers may or may not qualify for the playoffs..

Whoa. John Moore is an immediate upgrade to Hamrlik, Gilroy, or Emminger. Probably roughly equal or slightly better than Stralman. And, yes, I've watched a bunch of Columbus games. Loved Gabs, but he's been a complete waste this year. Can't see how Brassard can bring much less. Again, not judging careers, but judging seasons and they've produced roughly equally and the Rangers are clearly stronger down the middle than they were yesterday and now Boyle can play where he belongs - on the 4th line and the PK.

With you there, this is a better deal for the Preds. If anyone got fleeced, it's the Caps. And, Erat requested a trade. Poile has no patience for that BS.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord
Torts warns not to interpret Gaborik trade as a commentary on his relationship with Gaborik. "I like the guy," Torts says.

Classic Torts.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I was hoping we'd see you in here at some point. You're good at articulating scouting reports on these guys.

Questions about Brassard. Do you think he'll so better in a situation where the expectation of him is not to turn into a offensive star, but rather fill a 2nd/3rd line tweener role? Also, the Rangers play their best as a team when the 3rd line fills a more two-way role than a pure shutdown one. How do you feel he'll do on that type of line?

I've been watching a team full of 2nd/3rd line tweeners this season. :laugh: Just don't expect Brass to be a stellar defender (typical 3rd liner in CBJ land). He should be fine, I think that is what he is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Torts warns not to interpret Gaborik trade as a commentary on his relationship with Gaborik. "I like the guy," Torts says.

Classic Torts.

I don't doubt that he does. Gaborik willingly did everything Tortorella ever asked him to. It was just not a good match.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave

Classic Torts.

He ain't fooling no one. He knows if this trade doesn't work out, fingers will be pointing at him.

iceman9999

Apr 15, 2012
Good write up below on Gabby

Derek Dorsett too.

I like Dorsett.

Looks like John Davidson helped out..

Recap: Marian Gaborik On TSN
April 3rd, 2013 3:25 pm -Surprised?: “I was surprised. I heard rumors here and there but didn’t try to focus on it. I can’t control what the team is doing. It’s a new challenge and I am looking forward to it.
-Did you hesitate waiving the no-trade?: “I had some time to think about it, I talked to John Davidson and I decided that it’s a new challenge. I enjoyed my time in NY, but when someone wants you and someone tries to trade you, it’s good that someone actually wants you on the team. It seems like they are going to have a good team down the road and I look forward to it.â€
-What has gone wrong? “I don’t know. It’s just that we weren’t playing consistent enough. We had a great team on paper, but we couldn’t execute on the ice. The power play hasn’t been great. It’s a few factors there.â€

Adam Rotter:
Because of no other reason other than his salary, Marian Gaborik wasn’t going to be a Ranger next season. He was a UFA after next year and their fourth priority in getting a new contract behind Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi. The Rangers got exactly what they wanted in a trade for Gaborik, depth at center with Derick Brassard, a Brandon Prust-type player in Derek Dorsett and a good young defenseman in John Moore. The Rangers brought back the depth that they needed. They were going to do this now or in the summer. I didn’t think they could get it done before the deadline, but they did and they found a good match.

Obviously Marian Gaborik and John Tortorella’s relationship deteriorated over the course of the year, but I still see Gaborik being moved as more of a salary/depth trade than a move to just get rid of Gaborik.

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
Second, how is John Moore going to help the Rangers this season? Dorsett is out for the regular season. So basically, you're saying that Brassard is going to do more to help the Rangers this season than Gaborik? A season where the Rangers may or may not qualify for the playoffs.

How is a Dman that's already an upgrade over Hamerlik going to help? Such an odd question.

Brassard has basically the same points as Gabby does this year. Not much of a fall-off.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
We should have a stickied thread of draft picks the Rangers have traded and keep track of who gets selected and how their career progresses, kind like our current prospects thread. May be have that in there.

Would be an interesting experiment over the long term.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've been watching a team full of 2nd/3rd line tweeners this season. :laugh: Just don't expect Brass to be a stellar defender (typical 3rd liner in CBJ land). He should be fine, I think that is what he is.

We here in Rangerland know exactly how you feel. The Jackets right now remind me of the Rangers from 10-11, and not just because you have Dubinsky, Anisimov, Prospal and Gaborik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad