GDT: G7 | Minnesota @ Washington | 10/27/23 | 7:00p ET | Monumental Sports Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Strome and Ovie. That's a duo you don't break up. Offensive impacts weren't great tonight but still ended up on the right side of the battle tonight.

I think it's fair to conclude Backstrom is done, unfortunately. Only 11:55 tonight and his role has been diminished as the short season has gone on. Anything that's not 5v5 and he's incredibly exposed, and even then his 5v5 impacts are not good. Not sure how this situation plays out. They need to get McMichael playing center sooner rather than later.

Alexeyev doesn't seem to be an NHL player. HHA should get the 6D spot. Jensen also needs to get his head on straight

Normally, I love stats, but this just doesn't pass the smell test to me. I don't know how you see how Milano played tonight and have him overall great it is a negative. Same with McMichael, I feel like he had a very strong almost Great game but he's labeled as a negative overall. Same thing with Malenstyn, I feel like you had a super strong game but game score shows him as a negative. Carlson had one of his stronger games as well, but the worst player on the team?

On the flip side, I don't know if I can grade Ovi that high of a defensive grade for this game. He wasn't awful, but I don't know if he was a defensive stalwart.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Normally, I love stats, but this just doesn't pass the smell test to me. I don't know how you see how Milano played tonight and have him overall great it is a negative. Same with McMichael, I feel like he had a very strong almost Great game but he's labeled as a negative overall. Same thing with Malenstyn, I feel like you had a super strong game but game score shows him as a negative. Carlson had one of his stronger games as well, but the worst player on the team?

On the flip side, I don't know if I can grade Ovi that high of a defensive grade for this game. He wasn't awful, but I don't know if he was a defensive stalwart.

I swear those scorecards are just a glorified +/-

Did you get a point? Awesome! Were you on the ice for GA? Terrible!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Yeah these cards aren't good for any serious analysis but I think they're neat to look at.

I mentioned earlier but the GAR numbers come out in a few weeks and I'm interested in those because they'll provide some really good insight in terms of true individual impact. Unlike game score GAR/xGAR actually tries to account for context rather than just doing on-ice plus some individual stats.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Yeah these cards aren't good for any serious analysis but I think they're neat to look at.

I mentioned earlier but the GAR numbers come out in a few weeks and I'm interested in those because they'll provide some really good insight in terms of true individual impact. Unlike game score GAR/xGAR actually tries to account for context rather than just doing on-ice plus some individual stats.

whoah, 'serious'? my eye test is serious analysis!

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Got pretty pissed when Toronto, which is in Ontario, home province of a certain 894 goal scoring former NHL:er, decided to (imho) disallow a goal that was onside. If it had been Crosby it would have been onside.

Anyways, Ovi did some nice playmaking and now knows he also has to beat the entire semi-corrupt Canadian hockey establishment.

I know it sounds silly, but for us euros the Canadians are well known for cheating in any way possible without getting caught for cheating, they're known for that and winning.

Apart from that im liking this team, CMM and Milano are pleasant surprises and we actually have the puck in the o-zone for minutes on end at some points. Should have been a regulation win but the points are the same.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Got pretty pissed when Toronto, which is in Ontario, home province of a certain 894 goal scoring former NHL:er, decided to (imho) disallow a goal that was onside. If it had been Crosby it would have been onside.

Anyways, Ovi did some nice playmaking and now knows he also has to beat the entire semi-corrupt Canadian hockey establishment.

I know it sounds silly, but for us euros the Canadians are well known for cheating in any way possible without getting caught for cheating, they're known for that and winning.

Apart from that im liking this team, CMM and Milano are pleasant surprises and we actually have the puck in the o-zone for minutes on end at some points. Should have been a regulation win but the points are the same.
They aren't cheating or "doing it for Gretz" - they are just incompetent. The way the game and the rules are being mishandled is actually ruining the game. It's a real tragedy and is mind boggling that they haven't addressed it. The offside rule / challenge is a debacle.

It is an example of how technology (high res frame by frame) can be as bad as it can be good

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
They aren't cheating or "doing it for Gretz" - they are just incompetent. The way the game and the rules are being mishandled is actually ruining the game. It's a real tragedy and is mind boggling that they haven't addressed it. The offside rule / challenge is a debacle.

It is an example of how technology (high res frame by frame) can be as bad as it can be good

Honestly, i find that things are too dumb to understand, there's usually something else going on.

But, i am a bit conspiratorial in general.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Jun 15, 2007
You know when people say Toronto is making the call, they don't mean the city or the team right? It's just where the league office is. It's a metonym.

It has nothing to do with Gretzky being from Ontario.

The league wants Ovechkin to break the record. It generates publicity. It generates news and attention. It's good for the NHL.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The league wants Ovechkin to break the record. It generates publicity. It generates news and attention. It's good for the NHL.

It's not a monolith. There are a bunch of individuals involved. Some of them might care about publicity. Some of them might care about keeping the records in the hands of Canadians.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I feel like I can be a versatile person at times. I can recognize that the idea of 'Toronto' or just Canada as a whole conspiring against Ovechkin's goal record is utter nonsense, while simultaneously spreading it around to my friends and family, as well as on social media, to create chaos.

Thank you to the above posters for inspiring greatness within me.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I picture some sardonic grin on a 65 y.o. who saw the Summit Series back when he was a kid at 14

In the Decision Room pressing buttons frantically while maniacally laughing all mad-scientist style :scared::lightningbolt

I was there man, saw it all happen man.

But on a more serious note, there has been a lot of hitting posts/crossbars and getting goals disallowed. The goalie interferences of Strome and Foligno were identical, but not in punishment. Ovi's goal was a good goal. Etc. Pretty effin annoying.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Dont want to get into the challenge aspect.. more so just understanding the rules. Did they just get it wrong in the war room?Maybe I need to see it again, but this is what I see:
- The puck initially went in onside.
- Then it comes back out onto the blue line, but not completely across the blue line/fully into neutral zone.. so it’s still in the offensive zone.
- then ovie fully crosses into to offensive zone.
- then the puck comes into the offensive side of the blue line.

Doesn’t the fact that the puck didn’t go fully outside of the zone matter here? Or is there some nuance to the rule where since no forechecking player was in the zone, the boundaries of the zone changed?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dont want to get into the challenge aspect.. more so just understanding the rules. Did they just get it wrong in the war room?Maybe I need to see it again, but this is what I see:
- The puck initially went in onside.
- Then it comes back out onto the blue line, but not completely across the blue line/fully into neutral zone.. so it’s still in the offensive zone.
- then ovie fully crosses into to offensive zone.
- then the puck comes into the offensive side of the blue line.

Doesn’t the fact that the puck didn’t go fully outside of the zone matter here? Or is there some nuance to the rule where since no forechecking player was in the zone, the boundaries of the zone changed?
I don't think it ever actually cleared the line all the way into the zone. Ovechkin basically stopped it a hair too early, so he would have needed to be in full possession in that "you can skate over backwards" way for it to be him gaining the line (and he'd still need to get the puck over entirely on his own).

All the angles I saw, he never got it all the way over the blue, so because it was something of a hard touch turned drop pass he basically put himself a hair offside

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think it ever actually cleared the line all the way into the zone. Ovechkin basically stopped it a hair too early, so he would have needed to be in full possession in that "you can skate over backwards" way for it to be him gaining the line (and he'd still need to get the puck over entirely on his own).

All the angles I saw, he never got it all the way over the blue, so because it was something of a hard touch turned drop pass he basically put himself a hair offside
That may be the war room's take, and it may accurately reflect reality. I don't remember seeing the view from the blue line camera. The most common angle (from near center ice) showed the puck a few inches in the air with the entirety of the blue line below the puck - i.e., suggesting that the puck had crossed the line. But because of the angle, you can't be sure the puck had actually fully crossed the plane of the edge of the blue line. It'd be nice to have the blue line shot but I have not seen that yet (nor gone searching for it).

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That may be the war room's take, and it may accurately reflect reality. I don't remember seeing the view from the blue line camera. The most common angle (from near center ice) showed the puck a few inches in the air with the entirety of the blue line below the puck - i.e., suggesting that the puck had crossed the line. But because of the angle, you can't be sure the puck had actually fully crossed the plane of the edge of the blue line. It'd be nice to have the blue line shot but I have not seen that yet (nor gone searching for it).
Yeah, but it works on goal line rules, so basically because there was never any defined "white space" between the puck and the offensive zone side of the blue line it never fully crossed it. Vertical plane and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad