GDT: G5: Leafs @ Caps - 6:08pm

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Kuemper hasn’t been good this season but is far from their biggest problem. If he was putting up a 1.5 GAA we’d still be losing every game at the moment.
He’s not horrible but he is in the top half of the league in salary and not playing like one of the ten best goalies. I think people would have less of an issue if we wasn’t making almost 6 million a season until 2026-2027. Another overpaid long term contract that will be pretty impossible to move.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
He’s not horrible but he is in the top half of the league in salary and not playing like one of the ten best goalies. I think people would have less of an issue if we wasn’t making almost 6 million a season until 2026-2027. Another overpaid long term contract that will be pretty impossible to move.
At least it’s not Bob with the Panthers.

• Haha
Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think he has one of the higher trade values on this roster. He a cup winner and lots of teams are a goalie away right now.

Reactions: um

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Washington Capitals:

Outshoot the opponent by 100%

Be outscored by the opponent by 400%

This team is cursed, i dont know who took a dump in which voodoo lady's kettle but i would like them to apologize.

At least Ovi got a goal and had 20 shots on goal.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Good effort last night. The goals will start coming I hope. They need to focus on D now. Get that tightened up.
Some goals will come if the forwards work hard and attack the net. I saw even Backstrom was getting a little chippy around the net, which is something Mantha should be doing. They will have to get some ugly/dirty goals before they score fancy goals again. This teamhas to continue taking a lot of shots if the shooting lanes are open.

Washington Capitals:

Outshoot the opponent by 100%

Be outscored by the opponent by 400%

This team is cursed, i dont know who took a dump in which voodoo lady's kettle but i would like them to apologize.

At least Ovi got a goal and had 20 shots on goal.
OV had 14 SOG, not 20.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kuemper's cap hit is $5.25 million per year. That's $750k from $6 million, since you didn't even bother to do simple research(capfriendly.com). His cap hit is reasonable for an experienced #1 goalie, but his trade value is low with the sub .900 SV% he has right now. If his SV% starts improving and the Caps keep losing, then BMac has to consider talking trade with other teams really needing a #1 goalie. Caps are in transition rebuilding and Kuemper is not the goalie you need right now unless you are a team that has a good chance of making the playoffs.

I'm going to say this and it might annoy some ppl. You want to list stats on this board to support or go against an argument, then do some proper research and list your stats correctly. It's almost like some of you are as lazy as John Carlson plays defense!

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I would hope Kuempers trade value is around what Cory Schneider was

Im not sure a team that wants to trade a 1st for a goalie would pick that high. But good goalies still have high value.

Thats wishful thinking.

I can see a team like Edmonton in the mix if we take Campbell back as a cap dump, but im still not expecting a 1st. Something around 2nd and a minor +.

Maybe Sabres if Levi/Luukkonen/Comrie trio struggles close to TDL.

But the market is highly limited for veteran 1A goalies with long term. Return will be underwhelming if it goes that way, but its still a move we should make if we keep sucking.

Id figure Gibson would have been traded ages ago if teams were willing to pay a 1st. Most of teams already has their guy tied up.

The whole philosophy with goalies have changed since Schneider was traded too. And Kuemper just had his first child born so he is likely not overly interested in waiving his 15 team NTC either, which will limit the field even more.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Kuemper's cap hit is $5.25 million per year. That's $750k from $6 million, since you didn't even bother to do simple research(capfriendly.com). His cap hit is reasonable for an experienced #1 goalie, but his trade value is low with the sub .900 SV% he has right now. If his SV% starts improving and the Caps keep losing, then BMac has to consider talking trade with other teams really needing a #1 goalie. Caps are in transition rebuilding and Kuemper is not the goalie you need right now unless you are a team that has a good chance of making the playoffs.

I'm going to say this and it might annoy some ppl. You want to list stats on this board to support or go against an argument, then do some proper research and list your stats correctly. It's almost like some of you are as lazy as John Carlson plays defense!
Huh? I said almost 6 million. I didn’t say he was making 6 million.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Some goals will come if the forwards work hard and attack the net. I saw even Backstrom was getting a little chippy around the net, which is something Mantha should be doing. They will have to get some ugly/dirty goals before they score fancy goals again. This teamhas to continue taking a lot of shots if the shooting lanes are open.

OV had 14 SOG, not 20.

I was actually joking but if that's true that's pretty awesome lol.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
No chance Kuemper returns a pick like that, or even any first rounder.

That said, he's far down on the list of their concerns right now.
I think he's right at the top. Only Samsonov has been worse, but Toronto seems like they have a guy ready to step up. Do we?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think he's right at the top. Only Samsonov has been worse, but Toronto seems like they have a guy ready to step up. Do we?
It's always too easy to blame the goalie (and that applies to almost every team, almost every situation). Nearly all of their highest paid forwards can't come close to sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, they've got a rotating door of mid young defensemen on the bottom two pairings, and none of us can decide on whether Ovechkin is cooked or not. Kuemper ain't the problem here, and expecting him or any other goalie to solve things is asking too much.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Agreed. I’ve been living and dying with this team since their first season, I’ve seen some very good GMs, e.g. David Poile and yes, McPhee (despite the Erat debacle), and then some not so good ones. So far — and it’s not personal, I’m sure he’s a good guy — I put GMBM in the second category, unfortunately.

Not saying he won’t one day be effective, but he isn’t right now. He has bet hard on the wrong horses. Reirden was a downgrade from Trotz; Kuz has consistent effort/character issues, he not only eats up cap space and playing minutes, his selfish, erratic style of play sets a bad tone for team; Backstrom and Oshie are ancient and often injured and massively overpaid.

I get what people are saying about having to reward players for their role in the Cup, but there are GMs in this league who are much more cutthroat and strategic and long-range oriented than our guy is, and it shows. Hell, Cory Conacher was on his way to finishing second in rookie scoring when Yzerman decided to sell high and trade him for Ben Bishop. Yzerman also played absolute hardball with Drouin, and time has revealed that there too, he was legitimately seeing something missing from Drouin’s game or effort level or whatever.

Imagine how some of the GMs with sharper business practices would’ve responded to the last five years of Kuz performance, incl. him s***-talking the front office during most recent offseason in Russian language interview.

Sure, you can say, Leonsis wouldn’t employ that type of GM. Maybe that’s true. But i think that type of GM wins more Cups.
I like our GM but yeah he's definitely F'd up a few times. The one thing I have an issue with here is that we don't know how much of this is on Ted. It was crystal clear to me that GMBM was not happy about Backstrom coming back. Either he expected him to retire, LTIR retire, or just didn't want to re-sign him at all. That's a wasted roster spot and a whole lot of wasted cap on a player that's clearly done. I'm happy for him that his hip feels better but at this point he's a replacement level NHL player - and that's being kind

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
It's always too easy to blame the goalie (and that applies to almost every team, almost every situation). Nearly all of their highest paid forwards can't come close to sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, they've got a rotating door of mid young defensemen on the bottom two pairings, and none of us can decide on whether Ovechkin is cooked or not. Kuemper ain't the problem here, and expecting him or any other goalie to solve things is asking too much.
Obviously valid points regarding our other deficiencies. But it's not just convenient to call out the tied-for-5th-worst save % as a major factor. If we've been getting average goaltending, maybe. But we really haven't.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What exactly are you breaking your arm patting your own back over? The dude tried, but nobody wants our shitty players (like 92 who SHOULD have value if he wasn’t a massive disappointment).

Did you predict that absolutely nobody wanted our players? That he would NOT be able to make trades to alter the roster because there would be no market??

Show me those screenshots…..those would be impressive at least.
Here's five I found real quick but I could keep going. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-34-17-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-34-17-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-34-01-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-34-01-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-33-30-65_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-33-30-65_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2023-10-25-22-32-40-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg