GDT: G20 - MIN @ VGK - 9PM Central - The Golden Fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
True. but our weakness is mostly at center, and that can really hurt us defensively against a team with strong offense in general.

The most key players in the D zone besides the goalie are the Defensemen and Centers.

Yes, but the Knights are proof that you don't necessarily need top end centers, you just need good players.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, but the Knights are proof that you don't necessarily need top end centers, you just need good players.
I haven't watched much of the Knights, but I'd guess their centers are better in their zone than ours are in ours.

I never said top end centers, just quality.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I haven't watched much of the Knights, but I'd guess their centers are better in their zone than ours are in ours.

I never said top end centers, just quality.

None of them are getting any kind of Selke consideration, but yeah, I'm sure their centers are better than Rask, Bjugstad and Bonino.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Marchessault and Karlsson are better than anything we have at C by a good bit, and I think Glass is going to be a good top 6 C.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Marchessault and Karlsson are better than anything we have at C by a good bit, and I think Glass is going to be a good top 6 C.

Marchessault isn't a center. Karlsson and Stephenson are their top 2 centers.

I'm not denying their centers are better than ours. I'm saying their centers are not top centers by any means, and they don't need them to be to be a top team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Glass is going to be really good though. Hopefully Rossi can come out next season and be Glass level and above going forward.

wildbill97

Jan 17, 2021
St. Louis (From MN)
Need to get Hartman back in the lineup. He was sorely missed tonight, as was Parise. There was a lot of junk in front of the net the Wild couldn't flick past Fleury. That's Parise's bread and butter.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Need to get Hartman back in the lineup. He was sorely missed tonight, as was Parise. There was a lot of junk in front of the net the Wild couldn't flick past Fleury. That's Parise's bread and butter.
Parise would of missed and just jammed the puck into a leg pad anyway

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, Parise was not missed at all. He will be back in the lineup I'm sure though. We had enough odd man rushes against without him.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Also, wanted to comment on this too - maybe I'm just more crabby or something but I'm starting to turn on Lapanta and whoever ends up with him on any given night...I think Walz is probably worse than the others but yeah. Good way to get hammered, drink every time that Lapanta says the Wild have 'numbers' or a 3 on 2 and the defense is literally a step behind them. Drink every time he says they centered it. I give them a lot of slack because they are calling the games using TV screens but man...I used to not really have much of an opinion on them and thought they were fine but I'm starting to actively be annoyed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh, and i really liked some of the PP last night when Evason put Fiala, Kap, Lizard, Suter?, Greenway/JEE? together. Greenway/JEE have to do a better job in front of the net- we simply aren't getting enough deflections- and I would prefer Dumba up top so he can hammer the puck, but we had tons of possession and chances. Stick them out there for 1:30...PP isn't tiring, usually. We had WAY more motion than usual, which puts pressure on the PK. That high cycle thing that they do has possibilities.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Also, wanted to comment on this too - maybe I'm just more crabby or something but I'm starting to turn on Lapanta and whoever ends up with him on any given night...I think Walz is probably worse than the others but yeah. Good way to get hammered, drink every time that Lapanta says the Wild have 'numbers' or a 3 on 2 and the defense is literally a step behind them. Drink every time he says they centered it. I give them a lot of slack because they are calling the games using TV screens but man...I used to not really have much of an opinion on them and thought they were fine but I'm starting to actively be annoyed.
LaPanta is literally the least creative play caller I've ever heard call a game in pro hockey.

Terharr was even more creative... his voice cracked relentlessly, but he was still a bit more creative.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
GA last night

1st- Dumba makes one of his inexplicable bad decisions to pinch at the Center Red line on an otherwise normal line rush. He gets beaten, and left behind, causing a 2 on 1. Brodin overcommits to the puck carrier, IMO, leaving Tuch alone out front to bury it. After seeing the replay, mayhew is at fault, too. Lazy and mindless getting back...all he had to do is stay with his man instead of drifting away from him in the neutral zone.

2nd - Bonino completely oblivious to the weak side, and instead draws into the strong side, seemingly mesmerized by the puck. The predictable happens. this guy is supposed to be a good defensive C?

3rd- Sturm, filling in for Cole, makes a bad decision to make a stand at the O zone blue line. He falls down while whiffing on the puck carrier. Clear 2 on 1 results in a goal. Sturm is a forward, but has to have better awareness than that. Retreat, delay, and keep yourself between the puck and the net to other get back to help. Soucy played the 2 on 1 reasonably well, but Vegas just were too good. Cole not even close to getting back in time.

4th- unsuccessful pinch by Suter. Normally you ream him out for that, because it wasn't a good pinch, but with three minutes left and down by two there are different standards applied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad