GDT: G2, R1| Blues @ Wild| 8:30pm| ESPN, BSMW|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The biggest concern I have right now is our defense, it's starting to mirror what happened last year.

Scandella, Leddy, Bortuzzo all injured with unknown return timelines.
Yep that is not fixable sadly. Only time can fix that.

Lets get healthy and some home cookin officiating!

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
their best players have produced goals for them, Husso has been pretty bad and the Blues D is getting totally banged up.
Really? First one was "should have that" but Eriksson probably didn't know himself where he shot. Other than that he didn't have a chance. What are people expecting?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Last night was a game of bounces and missed opportunities.

The Bounces
-Spurgeon being allowed to play
- Leddy getting injured
- Exploding stick
- Fantom Faulk call
- Bortuzzo injury

Missed Opportunities
- Tarasenko’s upper corner clank
- Schenn’s miss on an open net
- Saad’s miss on an open net
- ROR’s miss on an open net
- Bozak’s trickle between Flowers pads that just missed
- Perron’s almost no look 5-hole shot

A lot of things just didn’t go the Blues way last night. It happens. I wouldn’t expect that to happen frequently.

Also, as we all know, Mikkola cannot play heavy or even medium minutes if we are going to be successful. We really need, at minimum one of Leddy or Scandella to come back on Friday. If both come back, I feel a million times better about our back end.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Well that was a shitshow, but probably to be expected considering the circumstances. Between the bad luck, the bad penalties and the bad defensive-zone play they were doomed from the 10-minute mark on. Those first 10 minutes were pretty good though.

Really hoping our defense can hold up...but with Scandella and Leddy out, Bortuzzo questionable and Mikkola and Rosen ineffective we're going to have to start out-scoring our problems. The PP couldn't do it last night and the 5-on-5 still isn't generating enough quality scoring chances. Hoping some home-cooking jump-starts the offense. Having already gotten game one, and with the Wild desperate to win last night, I'm sure the boys were fine with leaving with a split and home-ice advantage. Now they just need to protect home-ice. They can do it; but it's going to be difficult now that the Wild have a bit more confidence and the Blues a bit less depth.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think last night is indicative of how the series will go. I don't think that Bortozzo play will happen again where his stick breaks at the worst possible time. Bad calls will happen, but we were probably on the receiving end of more bad calls last night than we will moving forward.

The big issue is the injuries on defense. If we have to play without 3 of our top 6, then we are screwed. If we can get 2 of them back, then we'll be in decent shape.

Reactions: Brian39 and mk80

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Tough night for the Blues, some bad bounces to start the game coupled by early penalties. I don't think the officiating was as bad as people are saying here, the Blues did end up getting the majority of calls in the latter half of the game and weren't able to capitalize. The first penalty on Faulk was the only one I had issue with where Kaprizov embellished the high stick.

The Blues had a few prime opportunities to make it a one goal game, and had they been able to do so I think it would've been a pretty high probability that they tie the game up. The Tarasenko shot off the post and Schenn's one timer from the slot were grade A chances.

Unfortunately, the Wild got the 5th goal which sealed the deal for them. Mikkola played that 2-on-1 just terribly if I recall. He sprawled out but didn't even block the pass lane. It was basically an easy layup for Zuccarello to get it to Kaprizov. Really capped off an abysmal night for him.

Overall, the Blues made a solid push but either Fleury made some great saves or the Blues failed to hit the net. The Blues need to get some defensemen back in the lineup, one of Mikkola and Rosen in the lineup is passable, but having both is a recipe of disaster. Also need to find a way to capitalize on the big rebounds that Fleury is giving up, there were several big ones that popped out and a Blues player just wasn't in range of it. On to the next one.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
have a weird feeling Parayko is going to fall off very early and that contract is gonna be a rough anchor for a while

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Were we as bad as the score indicates? And are we really looking at both Rosen and Santini being in the lineup for game 3?

Joelhead

Jun 26, 2007
Houston, Texas
Were we as bad as the score indicates? And are we really looking at both Rosen and Santini being in the lineup for game 3?
I don't think so. In my view, we were outplayed in game one and in game two we outplayed them, goaltending notwithstanding. Bad luck, bad reffing, bad goaltending, although some of Husso's goals against were not on him - call it what you want to. Just gotta role with it and come out flying in game three. And hope Bortuzzo's face isn't broken beyond the point of playing tomorrow but I think it might be.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Really? First one was "should have that" but Eriksson probably didn't know himself where he shot. Other than that he didn't have a chance. What are people expecting?

Probably close your mother f***ing 5 hole for once in your life and Son of a bitch why can't you control a rebound?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
With Santini being called up today and Berube's comments on Scandella my hopes are dwindling for getting some reinforcement on the blueline. Hopefully Leddy can play tomorrow at least. I thought Santini looked good last year in the Avs series, but having all 3 of Rosen, Santini, and Mikkola is not what I'd like to see in the lineup in the playoffs.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Please no more Miko. Now outside of scoring against us a few times he's also known for doing snow angels face down while the other team scores.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm the board master pessimist and I expected a loss....

BUT I'm happy we split the away games in Minny.

We started well and had sustained pressure. That game would have been different if we capitalized in the first few minutes for all our hard work. The Wild first goal was just bad luck. Wild goals #2 and #3 were due to one good call and one bad call. Wild goal #4 was on Tank.

The boys battled back and got it to 4-2 and were close to making it 4-3 with about 8 minutes left. We started to gamble and eventually pulled the goalie too soon and we got burned with 2 more Wild goals. I thought our pressure in the 3rd was good, but we had to gamble too much to close the gap and we lost.

I listened to 101.1 ESPN this AM and I took great exception to Michelle Smalls saying we get outplayed (stick to baseball, Michelle). IMO it was a mixture of bad luck, dumb and bad penalties, and some sloppy play. Otherwise, I was happy with our 5 on 5 play. Our D corps is also in bad injury shape.

That last point has me worried about this series longer term. We really need two of the three vets (Scandella, Leddy, Bort) to play in games 3 and 4 at home or we are in trouble. Miko is a damn trainwreck and Rosen doesn't provide the muscle that Scandella and Bort bring to the game.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
According to JR

Mikkola was fine with Parayko, playing his usual physical style, but Rosen struggled at times — he was a minus-2 in 15:46 of ice time — and the pressure on him compounded when the Blues were down to just five defensemen after the loss of Bortuzzo.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
According to JR

Mikkola was fine with Parayko, playing his usual physical style, but Rosen struggled at times — he was a minus-2 in 15:46 of ice time — and the pressure on him compounded when the Blues were down to just five defensemen after the loss of Bortuzzo.

Funny because that's not what any sane f***ing person saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad