GDT: G16: Buffaloes vs Tom Wilson - 7pm EST

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So the question is…..is 9 mins of Lappy worth sitting Kuzy…….very interested to see if Carbs continues this or gets him right back in there….

Lapierre still made some nice moves in that time.

I don't know why he isn't getting more minutes.

That's a bad loss for Buffalo. Up 2-0. Up 3-2 very late.

Reactions: Misery74

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Why are they not 9-1-1 good? Have the wins been lucky wins?

I mean, not particularly?

But they aren't blowing people out. The goal differential on the season is 0. They've won some games where the other team had the better chances.

And the goal tending has perhaps stolen some games.

So I think maybe the record isn't totally indicative. The team needs to continue to grow.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean, not particularly?

But they aren't blowing people out. The goal differential on the season is 0. They've won some games where the other team had the better chances.

And the goal tending has perhaps stolen some games.
All of that is what makes a team good. They're finding ways to win even when they aren't playing their best, like tonight. Very few teams just wipe the floor with opponents night after night.

Also, props to @StrikingDistance for the perfect thread title again.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
All of that is what makes a team good. They're finding ways to win even when they aren't playing their best, like tonight. Very few teams just wipe the floor with opponents night after night.

Also, props to @StrikingDistance for the perfect thread title again.
yep. this is what underlying strength looks like, and probably some pretty strong in-the-moment coaching in terms of how they adapt the boilerplate systems in these moments to hit the critical focus or "victory condition"

I did a pretty big rambling post on this last year regarding Laviolette's conservatism but basically there comes a point in the win probability graph where playing defensively gets you nothing. Strong defensive plays still win possessions, but playing 5 deep in a little shell is like punting at the 40. Obviously a little luck is involved here but so far this year's Caps with Carbery seem to be able to look at the individual game within the context of what they do and hone in on what works, and then bum rush it. They may not be the best "technical fighter" in a different metaphor but they know exactly how to work what they've got into win conditions.

One thing we can absolutely say so far is that I don't think this team, as a whole, has taken a period off. They don't win them all, but I haven't seen the same sort of sleepwalking

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Hes not wrong. He’s almost a liability at this point. Look it sucks but carbs needs to limit his ice time. Father time is undefeated.
IMG_4981.png

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
yep. this is what underlying strength looks like, and probably some pretty strong in-the-moment coaching in terms of how they adapt the boilerplate systems in these moments to hit the critical focus or "victory condition"

I did a pretty big rambling post on this last year regarding Laviolette's conservatism but basically there comes a point in the win probability graph where playing defensively gets you nothing. Strong defensive plays still win possessions, but playing 5 deep in a little shell is like punting at the 40. Obviously a little luck is involved here but so far this year's Caps with Carbery seem to be able to look at the individual game within the context of what they do and hone in on what works, and then bum rush it. They may not be the best "technical fighter" in a different metaphor but they know exactly how to work what they've got into win conditions.

One thing we can absolutely say so far is that I don't think this team, as a whole, has taken a period off. They don't win them all, but I haven't seen the same sort of sleepwalking
Well said. And yeah, the compete level with the team is extremely high. This is what Carbery has brought to the table. And it's why they are winning some of these games.

Reactions: BallardEra

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1700713461560.gif

Despite my recent criticism of his play, my game puck tonight goes to Tom Wilson. A Herculean 94% xGF along with the game-tying goal earns the highly coveted game puck.

Honorable mentions go to Dylan Strome with a gargantuan 80% xG along with the game winning goal, and the John Carlson/Rasmus Sandin duo who had 30 and 27 minutes TOI, respectively, while being above water in xGs and not conceding.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I don’t know how all the advanced stats look (and even if I saw them I don’t know what they mean), but my eye test has been really appreciating Sandin recently, he had a rough start to the season but he’s been standing out to me for his solid play, and I think he’s been a major contributor to our recent record.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don’t know how all the advanced stats look (and even if I saw them I don’t know what they mean), but my eye test has been really appreciating Sandin recently, he had a rough start to the season but he’s been standing out to me for his solid play, and I think he’s been a major contributor to our recent record.

He leads the NHL in 5v5 TOI and has above average impacts for the season. Not sure exactly where he goes from here, but I have hopes that his slow start was just learning the new system and that he's much better than merely above average.

Trading for Sandin is the exact type of move that can enable a successful retool. I'd still consider signing him long term at some point in the season if he keeps up his recent level of play.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
He leads the NHL in 5v5 TOI and has above average impacts for the season. Not sure exactly where he goes from here, but I have hopes that his slow start was just learning the new system and that he's much better than merely above average.

Trading for Sandin is the exact type of move that can enable a successful retool. I'd still consider signing him long term at some point in the season if he keeps up his recent level of play.
They should bump him up to PP1, and see if those slick passing hands can help create something...anything.

Carlson is a complete mess right now as PPQB. Sandin was good in that role last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad