GDT: G11 - Meow meows vs Ovi Goals - 7:38pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Carlson plays like he is injured all the time. I don't know if it's this or just all the mileage he has on his skates over the years, or both.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Too deep in his net
Yup and hold the near post, as Reinhart shoots right-handed. The curse of Scott Murray continues...If Kuemper is at least on top of his goal crease and still backs in a bit, Reinhart has to take the puck wide and score far post or tuck it wide inside the far post. Kuemper is 6ft 5in and made himself small. As a goalie you have to challenge a bit and take away some scoring options from the shooter.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don't know why I let myself hope that Carberry could make him happy and he'd start trying again. That play in the third where he was in on a rush, got off a weak shot, and the goalie gave up a weak rebound right to where he was heading... but he'd already broken off to head back to the bench... that physically hurt.
I know the exact play you're talking about, but I saw it different. It looked a lot to me like when he took the shot he caught way more of his edge than he wanted and it shifted his center of gravity in a way that made it really hard to make a move on the rebound. I never went back and watched it again or anything but it looked like his leg kind of swung out and he had to regather himself more than you normally would on a shot. Like, his upper body just got too far over the line, and he had to get his legs back under him before he could adapt.

Like remember the Dennis Wideman shootout thing where he just catches a big old edge and eats a big bag of poops? Kind of looked like it was closer to one of those than quitting but it's also Kuzy so... could be easily wrong there.

Yup and hold the near post, as Reinhart shoots right-handed. The curse of Scott Murray continues...If Kuemper is at least on top of his goal crease and still backs in a bit, Reinhart has to take the puck wide and score far post or tuck it wide inside the far post. Kuemper is 6ft 5in and made himself small. As a goalie you have to challenge a bit and take away some scoring options from the shooter.
It's funny (not really) because playing small and too deep was exactly what was happening to Holtby when he was broken, and I feel like that was the goal with Samsonov but eventually he'd panic and all that unspent energy went at once as he catapulted himself to the circles

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I know the exact play you're talking about, but I saw it different. It looked a lot to me like when he took the shot he caught way more of his edge than he wanted and it shifted his center of gravity in a way that made it really hard to make a move on the rebound. I never went back and watched it again or anything but it looked like his leg kind of swung out and he had to regather himself more than you normally would on a shot. Like, his upper body just got too far over the line, and he had to get his legs back under him before he could adapt.

Like remember the Dennis Wideman shootout thing where he just catches a big old edge and eats a big bag of poops? Kind of looked like it was closer to one of those than quitting but it's also Kuzy so... could be easily wrong there.

It's funny (not really) because playing small and too deep was exactly what was happening to Holtby when he was broken, and I feel like that was the goal with Samsonov but eventually he'd panic and all that unspent energy went at once as he catapulted himself to the circles

Sammy is having the same issues with the Leafs that he had with the Caps. The mental part of his game is not matching his physical talent. Under Scott Murray, Holtby's mental game fell apart. Vanecek/Sammy the mental game was not good enough. I saw it from Kuemper in just the 4 goals he gave up. All NHL goalies try to trust their goalie coach and they are loyal to a fault. Kuemper is a nice person and trusting Scott Murray's coaching too much.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The play where Kuznetsov has a semi breakaway, takes a shot, but then peels away instead of pouncing on a rebound (which was there and it was juicy)

Dude had the worst game ever. Why is carbs starting him PP1 and at 3v3?
I want to see a replay of this one real bad because what I saw (above) was different, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was just idly watching and distracted in the moment and put my own experiences into that one.

Sammy is having the same issues with the Leafs that he had with the Caps. The mental part of his game is not matching his physical talent. Under Scott Murray, Holtby's mental game fell apart. Vanecek/Sammy the mental game was not good enough. I saw it from Kuemper in just the 4 goals he gave up. All NHL goalies try to trust their goalie coach and they are loyal to a fault. Kuemper is a nice person and trusting Scott Murray's coaching too much.
Well yeah, to be fair to Murray (not that it counts for much) Samsonov absolutely did need to move less, but overall I agree. Kuemper is doing what his coach says, and it's bringing out the worst in a goalie that was already sort of good but occasionally dipping into lukewarm.

I said it and stand by it, Kuemper was better when he arrived than he has been any time in the months once coaching starts taking over and Lindgren is much the same.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Now progressing to the Telling It Like It Is portion of the season. Shrug. Probably shouldn't have had him out there (or put him on the top line in the third).

Goddamn, those are no minced words at all. Not wrong, not wrong to say it, but can't wait to see what happens next.

I'm fully on board with this, personally I'm wondering about his thought process and I think this is absolutely the "player brains" portion of the coaching transition. They had some growing pains but the fundamentals of the system and Carbery's emphasis seems like it's showing through in their puck movement and overall ability to push play (finishing being what it is).

Maybe now is where that sets in as more normal and he can start hitting pressure points and identify and try to motivate the guys who make the system even better. Kuznetsov would have to be one of those main guys, I think that's probably why he got the first line shifts even though Strome is more suited for it by our understanding of the analytics.

I don't think he's blind to that, I think he's trying to cook the old Kuznetzov back into reality

One complaint for me last year was that Laviolette wasn't willing to sacrifice any individual game to make a point and coach a player. If this is that for Kuznetsov I'm fine with the choice.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I want to see a replay of this one real bad because what I saw (above) was different, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was just idly watching and distracted in the moment and put my own experiences into that one.

Well yeah, to be fair to Murray (not that it counts for much) Samsonov absolutely did need to move less, but overall I agree. Kuemper is doing what his coach says, and it's bringing out the worst in a goalie that was already sort of good but occasionally dipping into lukewarm.

I said it and stand by it, Kuemper was better when he arrived than he has been any time in the months once coaching starts taking over and Lindgren is much the same.
Genuine question: how can either of you know that Kuemper is doing what his coach says??

(I am genuinely asking - not being a smart ass).

Question: is it possible that our goalies allow the mental aspect to get to them and they make stupid mistakes because they are down on themselves? As opposed to changing the way they play because of the goalie coach?

Reactions: RedRocking and HTFN

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm not sure why Carbery went full Lavi and broke up 8 and 17.

Another game they could have won.
He's got a weird thing for Kuznetsov.

No sane coach would play Kuznetsov anywhere near 22 minutes a night.

Genuine question: how can either of you know that Kuemper is doing what his coach says??

Question: is it possible that our goalies allow the mental aspect to get to them and they make stupid mistakes because they are down on themselves? As opposed to changing the way they play because of the goalie coach?
Avs fans (and many others) said Kuemper is prone to having bad games and letting in soft goals.

The Caps went the UFA route for a starting goalie and didn't even have to pay top dollar. They got what they paid for.

Still better than Samsonov though.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Years back I remember when Scott Murray came into the picture. Joe B mentioned Murray is about innovating the goaltending position. To this day, what good is innovation if the goalie coach is not having his goalies master the basics of stopping the puck! SCOTT MURRAY IS THE NEW FORSYTHE!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

It comes down to form and function, not that goalie is my strong suit. I feel like when you look at Kuemper and Lindgren in their introductions to the team they had individual styles and quirks that seemed different, and as time goes on they've become goalies that have replicated soft areas we've seen in the team's goalies before. If you asked me today how tall Darcy Kuemper was I would have said, like... 6'1" and apparently he's goddamn huge. Lindgren similarly has learned to play smaller than his large and athletic frame.

When they all start sharing similar characteristics you have to assume it's because there's a common denominator, and it's been so constant for so long that if they didn't get Korn back for 2018 there's no goddamn way they're winning anything. I feel like a lot of those "Kuemper should have those" goals is because since broken Holtby the message has been to play deep and try to do a Lundqvist, but Lundqvist is a Hall of Fame goaltender who shouldn't have been able to really do what he did a lot of times.

I think it's also both. I think it's a mental position but when you get back to practice and your coach keeps telling you to do what you're not sure about, you end up in this weird position where you can't trust your body and you're not sure if you should trust your coach, and splitting the difference makes you bad.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1699502085946.gif

Tonight's game puck goes to Connor McMichael with a goal and a primary assist and some solid all-situations play. Honorable mentions to Anthony Mantha and Aliaksei Protas, each also with a pair of points.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think he's blind to that, I think he's trying to cook the old Kuznetzov back into reality
It's not coming back. Definitely not on a night when he was a game-time decision. Carbery had an opportunity to lean into a rare positive in going with McMichael. You can't predict things like this but...you sort of can with this team. None of the vets deserve benefits of the doubt. It's just that most of the time there aren't valid alternatives to opt for. He had them tonight. He just didn't use them and that's on him.

They're not making the playoffs playiing an absolute joker 22+ minutes a night. Get real.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
It's not coming back. Definitely not on a night when he was a game-time decision. Carbery had an opportunity to lean into a rare positive in going with McMichael. You can't predict things like this but...you sort of can with this team. None of the vets deserve benefits of the doubt. It's just that most of the time there aren't valid alternatives to opt for. He had them tonight. He just didn't use them and that's on him.

They're not making the playoffs playiing an absolute joker 22+ minutes a night. Get real.
Totally agree and it’s frustrating because we heard so much about how we would play the youth more and yet Carberry is coaching just like Lavi. Refusing to play the young kids in OT when speed is so important. Only playing Lapy 6 minutes. The PP still looks static and crappy. List goes on.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

The body language(movement) of both Kuemper and Lindgren(you can include Sammy/Vanecek as well). A good goaltending coach would have these goalies correct those mistakes. Sammy was too reliant on reflexes and had poor flow with his movements. Vanecek had/still has poor usage of when to go down into the butterfly. Both Sammy/Vanecek lost their goalie stick too many times. Lindgren is like Sammy and being too acrobatic at times. Kuemper has very good size, but seems to cheat off his angles. These are just some of the examples. Yes, there is always situations where the team in front of the goalie can play better, but goalies should have a standard within themselves to stop pucks whether the team is playing well in front of them or not.

Reactions: PlushMinus

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Yeah, you know what, I forgot all about that.

Playing him on a sick day is... not smart. I was trying to eyeball the "best case" but I totally forgot the reality of the day, and that's a day to overload Strome and the obviously clicking McMichael.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Totally agree and it’s frustrating because we heard so much about how we would play the youth more and yet Carberry is coaching just like Lavi. Refusing to play the young kids in OT when speed is so important. Only playing Lapy 6 minutes. The PP still looks static and crappy. List goes on.
Oooh, let's hold up a little.

Systems aside he's been way more willing to mix personnel and remove possibilities that don't work. This wasn't a great game from him but his adjustment window is like 3 games at a time instead of 10, and he's made some ego-less adjustments on things he had previously been very high on like the Sandin-Carlson pairing.

Lapierre is close and with a presumably pretty good future, made some good plays, but he's also in that sort of Phillips territory right now where he makes a good play or move but can't follow up on them from a position of strength yet and gets sort of erased in the following 10 seconds. A lot of his best possession moves tonight still ended up with passes that didn't work or no contributors and no way out.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Ovie slapped a one timer that registered 96mph and he didn't seem to be in pain from it. That doesn't mean he's not nursing something, but he can physically take a hard shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad