G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If this is true, other than 1OA, there's probably no pick I'm rooting for more in this draft than Askarov to Ottawa at 5. I don't want to be facing this guy in the division for 15 years.
If I'm looking at the teams, I don't see Askarov going that high.
NYR - stacked in Nets
LA - need offensive talent
Ott - should take a C and D (Drysdale, a RHD to either pair with Chabot). They would wiser to try to move 28, 33, and another 2nd if they really wanted him. But, hey drafted Sogaard in round 2 last season.
Det - need skater talent
Ana - have Gibson
NJ - Blackwood has played like 100 NHL games so far. They seem to need skater talent. I think they would be better off trading up from 18/20 to grab him
Buf - could see them as their Finnish prospect spent most of the season in the ECHL. So, maybe they do make the move
Min - need skater talent
Win - Have Helly
Nas - could see it, but they do need skater talent
Fla - have Knight
Car - could see it, though they did draft Kochetkov in round 2 last season
Edm - could see it
Tor - doubtful, but possible
Mon - unlikely
Chi - if he's there, they should take him

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really hope he doesn’t go to the Devils at 7. Askarov is the one player in this draft I don’t want to be facing many times per season.
NJ should be taking a skater at 7. But if they wish to package 18&20 to move up to get a pick to secure him that’s the better move. Probably would get back a 4th if they moved both picks for say 10-12.

but I think a team would likely move up to grab him like a Chicago. Ottawa May be drafting too late in at 28 to make a trade down enticing unless they moved a 2 of their seconds. But an 16-18 slot move down is a big drop for a team around 10.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What are you basing that on?
Once you get past the top end skater talent then there will likely be teams who would be willing to trade down if there are teams looking to move up. After pick 8 and buffalo there are teams where you can say it would make sense that they draft him so teams may need to get ahead of those ones.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If I'm looking at the teams, I don't see Askarov going that high.
Tor - doubtful, but possible
If Askarov is available at 15 (unlikely, but you never know), I’d strongly hope we draft him. Our goalie pipeline sucks, and it sounds like we’re unlikely to re-sign Andersen, might even trade him. If we drafted Askarov, we could trade Andersen, and sign an older bandaid to tandem with Campbell (Khudobin, Crawford, Greiss type), with Askarov taking over in a few years.

I think Devils at 7 is probably the highest he’d go, but I could also see him going in the teens. He’s an outstanding goalie prospect, but goalie prospects are also very unpredictable, teams could get cold feet if a skater they really like is available.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Askarov is available at 15 (unlikely, but you never know), I’d strongly hope we draft him. Our goalie pipeline sucks, and it sounds like we’re unlikely to re-sign Andersen, might even trade him. If we drafted Askarov, we could trade Andersen, and sign an older bandaid to tandem with Campbell (Khudobin, Crawford, Greiss type), with Askarov taking over in a few years.

I think Devils at 7 is probably the highest he’d go, but I could also see him going in the teens. He’s an outstanding goalie prospect, but goalie prospects are also very unpredictable, teams could get cold feet if a skater they really like is available.
I think NJ have more pressing needs. Blackwood, who is 23, and turning 24 in December has 70 NHL games under his belt with an overall GAA of 2.72 and SV% of .916, which is very good for such a bad team. I think NJ trades up from 18/20 if they have the opportunity and if this draft is supposed to be deep than 2 picks in the end of the middle of the draft might be worth more than pick 9-12.

Most of these players in this draft, you will see make their NHL debut by the 21-22 season. How long before Askarov debuts? 3 years post draft like Hart who is the earliest in a long time to debut?

More likely IMO to see a team trade up to grab him rather than a team take him with the pick that they are currently holding. Just feels like those at the top end of the draft need the skater talent more than a goalie.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
A lot of smoke linking him to NJ. I think he's going to be an absolutely sick franchise goalie for a decade +, but NJ has so many holes to fill. Top line wingers, top 4 d to be more specific. Ironically, Blackwood has shown to be at least a good starter with the potential to be top 10. Love the player, hate the pick at #7.

To echo- I'd be happy if they packaged 18 and 20 for say #12 and grab him if available. I'd love Holtz/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Perfetti/Sanderson and Askarov.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
A lot of smoke linking him to NJ. I think he's going to be an absolutely sick franchise goalie for a decade +, but NJ has so many holes to fill. Top line wingers, top 4 d to be more specific. Ironically, Blackwood has shown to be at least a good starter with the potential to be top 10. Love the player, hate the pick at #7.
maybe a glass half full take, but Yaro is still under contract for 2 more years before he comes to NA. Theoretically this gives time for the Devils to keep rebuilding before he comes over and signs an ELC. Plus if you end up with two starter caliber goaltenders that makes a great trade chip to fill a hole in NJ's core.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
As a Canes fan I sure hope the Devils don’t take him and it would be beautiful if we found a way to grab him.

Nothing like having to constantly face Askarov, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, & Hart for the next 8-10 seasons.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
No brainer for the Hurricanes if he's available at 13. Honestly, skaters can be just as risky as goalies even in the high-mid first round of the draft, Askarov would be valuable at any pick after the top 3. Teams like NJ, MIN, NSH have other more pressing needs, yes, but none of them could go wrong taking Askarov at their spot. Really interesting to see what happens with him next week, he's probably the biggest wildcard as far as where he goes. Teams might get scared off or choose skaters over him, but it just takes 1 team up high to fall in love for a bit of a shakeup in the top 5-10 picks.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
maybe a glass half full take, but Yaro is still under contract for 2 more years before he comes to NA. Theoretically this gives time for the Devils to keep rebuilding before he comes over and signs an ELC. Plus if you end up with two starter caliber goaltenders that makes a great trade chip to fill a hole in NJ's core.
Does it end in 21-22 or 22-23? I think there's a chance he could start in NJ in 22-23. We've seen young goalies come in and have success. At that point, he'll have 2 years of experience at SKA

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Does it end in 21-22 or 22-23? I think there's a chance he could start in NJ in 22-23. We've seen young goalies come in and have success. At that point, he'll have 2 years of experience at SKA
Askarov confirmed to The Athletic that his KHL contract with SKA runs through the 2021-22 season

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
As a Canes fan I sure hope the Devils don’t take him and it would be beautiful if we found a way to grab him.

Nothing like having to constantly face Askarov, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, & Hart for the next 8-10 seasons.
Can't imagine we actually take him...is Fitz making sure the media catches wind that we might be interested to try and drum up some trade up scenarios for other teams with us ? I'd say that's more likely

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

To echo- I'd be happy if they packaged 18 and 20 for say #12 and grab him if available. I'd love Holtz/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Perfetti/Sanderson and Askarov.
We have our goalie, no reason to believe Blackwood won't keep progressing. Smoke screen IMO

Reactions: OldScool

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
We have our goalie, no reason to believe Blackwood won't keep progressing. Smoke screen IMO
Greg Wyshinski, a die-hard Devils fan, and plugged in guy said the Devils love him. Maybe it's part of a smokescreen, and I hope it is, but I'm not so sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad