G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
You do highlight his worse performances to back up your personal view though. And all those performaces were probably due to him being a underager or double underager.

Playing on whatever team does not mean crap. There were a ton of Team Canada goaltenders recently who never got the hype neither did they develop into NHLers. Because they were not that good and that's it.

What I am saying is look at the entire framework of his performances and not just the great ones. Askarov has benefitted from playing on fantastic Russian teams and the fact there is no good 01' Russian goalie ahead of him so he gets that opportunity to play up. That gives him visibility in the international tournaments and press coverage. Its much easier to play great when you play on sound defensive teams like Russia. Malik's opinion has some credence. Askarov has always played on fantastic teams whether that is in international play of SKA in the VHL and that's not debatable. You honestly believe if Askarov played for Czech he would be anywhere near the level of prospect he is now? Not even close.

Reactions: PostFriend

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
What I am saying is look at the entire framework of his performances and not just the great ones. Askarov has benefitted from playing on fantastic Russian teams and the fact there is no good 01' Russian goalie ahead of him so he gets that opportunity to play up. That gives him visibility in the international tournaments and press coverage. Its much easier to play great when you play on sound defensive teams like Russia. Malik's opinion has some credence. Askarov has always played on fantastic teams whether that is in international play of SKA in the VHL and that's not debatable. You honestly believe if Askarov played for Czech he would be anywhere near the level of prospect he is now? Not even close.

So you're saying that the opinion of the guy that is hoping to get drafted as well is the basks of your argument. It's like going for a job interview and saying, "Hey, I know I'm right for this job, but there's three other guys that are just as good."

Malik is trying to ride the coattails of Askarov into the draft.

You think because there isn't a great option at '01 goalie that they are just tossing in some ok 17 year old? Askarov is earning every minute he's played, and playing up because he's really that good.

If this was 2002, he'd be in the conversation for 1st overall, however these days, everyone thinks that spending a high pick on a goalie is insane. It's risky, absolutely.. but after the first 5 forwards and maybe 1 dman, why not. In this case, you could end up with a franchise goalie. Could he end up a backup, sure but the same way you could end up with a top line fwd or an AHL star.

Reactions: bukwas

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
So you're saying that the opinion of the guy that is hoping to get drafted as well is the basks of your argument. It's like going for a job interview and saying, "Hey, I know I'm right for this job, but there's three other guys that are just as good."

Malik is trying to ride the coattails of Askarov into the draft.

You think because there isn't a great option at '01 goalie that they are just tossing in some ok 17 year old? Askarov is earning every minute he's played, and playing up because he's really that good.

If this was 2002, he'd be in the conversation for 1st overall, however these days, everyone thinks that spending a high pick on a goalie is insane. It's risky, absolutely.. but after the first 5 forwards and maybe 1 dman, why not. In this case, you could end up with a franchise goalie. Could he end up a backup, sure but the same way you could end up with a top line fwd or an AHL star.

Askarov is playing because there isn't a good 01 Russian goalie. Fact. The best option for an 01 goalie is Zherenko who went with the 208th pick in the draft. Askarov played in the VHL but come playoff time he didn't even dress. He could have been fine in the MHL but played VHL and was below average in that league ranking him 53rd for save % and GAA. Every player is a risk and the goaltending position has more risk and believe it or not goaltending relies on the team in front of you a lot and Askarov has had superior teams in front of him. Put Malik or any other top 02 goalie on those Russian teams/VHL and I think you get similar results.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Askarov is playing because there isn't a good 01 Russian goalie. Fact. The best option for an 01 goalie is Zherenko who went with the 208th pick in the draft. Askarov played in the VHL but come playoff time he didn't even dress. He could have been fine in the MHL but played VHL and was below average in that league ranking him 53rd for save % and GAA. Every player is a risk and the goaltending position has more risk and believe it or not goaltending relies on the team in front of you a lot and Askarov has had superior teams in front of him. Put Malik or any other top 02 goalie on those Russian teams/VHL and I think you get similar results.

I 100% completely disagree.

Askarov's skill level is above all the others in this class. His athleticism is amazing. Malik is just a guy.. he got his 15mins of fame for his comment and in 3 years you will forget he ever existed.

You say goalies rely on the team in front, sure.. but all players get better with better players around them. McDavid/Draisaitl, Bergeron/Pastrnak, Ovechkin/Backstrom.. etc.

Goalies can be better/worse based on defense in front of them, but he also doesn't come away with the accolades he has amassed over the years because he's been on good teams alone. This kid has great talent already, and he's an extremely talented goalie in a great system.

Malik is nowhere near Askarov's talent.. and he wouldn't have made the VHL or played a game in the KHL as a 17yr old. Very very few have.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I 100% completely disagree.

Askarov's skill level is above all the others in this class. His athleticism is amazing. Malik is just a guy.. he got his 15mins of fame for his comment and in 3 years you will forget he ever existed.

You say goalies rely on the team in front, sure.. but all players get better with better players around them. McDavid/Draisaitl, Bergeron/Pastrnak, Ovechkin/Backstrom.. etc.

Goalies can be better/worse based on defense in front of them, but he also doesn't come away with the accolades he has amassed over the years because he's been on good teams alone. This kid has great talent already, and he's an extremely talented goalie in a great system.

Malik is nowhere near Askarov's talent.. and he wouldn't have made the VHL or played a game in the KHL as a 17yr old. Very very few have.

Time will tell.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Everybody in the business knows those "fantastic" russian teams always have a mediocre D at best and have to rely on stellar goaltending(as often happened in recent years and by now it is no secret Russia produces great goalies who carried a lot of those russian junior teams and are now NHLers). Your argument is just absurd as you should be able to see yourself.

The pure nonsense about no valid 2001 born prospect is even more ridiculous. Skotnikov was up there on any level. It's just that Askarov is better. That is how underagers get the call. Always. To claim that Askarov only gets called to the NT because there is no one else is laughable. Just as calling Russia's junior NTs defence "sound".

Now to what's debatable. Askarov's debut in the MHL was with SKA-Varyagi, SKA's 2nd team that finished 8th in the conference. Debatable? His junior NTs I have already mentioned. He then played in the VHL against men as a 17y.o.. You called SKA(and it's affiliates) that great teams, haven't you? Then why would a pro league team in the SKA system let a 17y.o. start games? They certainly don't have the problem of "not having a 2001 born" to play ahead of Askarov.

And then by your very logic, if Askarov had played for the Czech Republic he would get a lot more chaces for exposure and yes, I firmly believe he would be rated at least not lower than he is now. He would probably have less negative doubters like you who think that playing for "fantastic teams" inflates a goalie's resume and be an even higher rated prospect.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Everybody in the business knows those "fantastic" russian teams always have a mediocre D at best and have to rely on stellar goaltending(as often happened in recent years and by now it is no secret Russia produces great goalies who carried a lot of those russian junior teams and are now NHLers). Your argument is just absurd as you should be able to see yourself.

The pure nonsense about no valid 2001 born prospect is even more ridiculous. Skotnikov was up there on any level. It's just that Askarov is better. That is how underagers get the call. Always. To claim that Askarov only gets called to the NT because there is no one else is laughable. Just as calling Russia's junior NTs defence "sound".

Now to what's debatable. Askarov's debut in the MHL was with SKA-Varyagi, SKA's 2nd team that finished 8th in the conference. Debatable? His junior NTs I have already mentioned. He then played in the VHL against men as a 17y.o.. You called SKA(and it's affiliates) that great teams, haven't you? Then why would a pro league team in the SKA system let a 17y.o. start games? They certainly don't have the problem of "not having a 2001 born" to play ahead of Askarov.

And then by your very logic, if Askarov had played for the Czech Republic he would get a lot more chaces for exposure and yes, I firmly believe he would be rated at least not lower than he is now. He would probably have less negative doubters like you who think that playing for "fantastic teams" inflates a goalie's resume and be an even higher rated prospect.

-Yeah must suck playing with Alexander Romanov and Daniil Misyul in front of you.
-Skotnikov may not even get drafted so lets not say there is a valid 2001 goalie.
-Once again, Askarov has never played on a sub-par team. Every single game he has played has been for loaded teams in front of him.
-Many draft eligible goalies played against men - its the norm and not special.
-SKA started Askarov because he plays for the lower VHL club. Notice he didn't dress for VHL playoffs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You don't need to look at his stats to see that this kid is special. Good team in front of him or not, this type of athleticism and ability is uncanny. We haven't seen a 17 year old goalie look this good in a long time.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your "facts" are just hilarious. Zherenko could not even make ANY russian NT at ANY age or level. And if you use NHL draft positions for evaluating russian prospects, let me remind you of some facts. Kucherov drafted at 58, Kaprizov at 135, a winner of 2 Vezinas went undrafted.

Hint:Askarov often was on the NT alongside a 2001 goalie, and it wasn't Zherenko(who is not a bad or useless by any measure. That just does not mean there are no better.).

Askarov played in the VHL as a 17y.o.. as I wrote already(maybe it was in this thread earlier) other even a year and a half older goalies in his age group started a combined <10 games in the league(more than half of them was one other young prospect;)). Askarov strted 18 games.

Being "below average" in a men's league at age 17 is the norm. Otherwise he would have been a second coming of Tretiak, which he isn't. There was only one Tretiak in the history of the sport. Askarov is "only" a first round ranked best goalie prospect in his draft class.

And again for the 1000th time he wasn't playing for superior teams, nor behind superior D.

You quoting his stats of a double if not tripple underager is just absurd. Put Malik on those russian teams and they end up with the record of the czech teams.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your "facts" are just hilarious. Zherenko could not even make ANY russian NT at ANY age or level. And if you use NHL draft positions for evaluating russian prospects, let me remind you of some facts. Kucherov drafted at 58, Kaprizov at 135, a winner of 2 Vezinas went undrafted.

Hint:Askarov often was on the NT alongside a 2001 goalie, and it wasn't Zherenko(who is not a bad or useless by any measure. That just does not mean there are no better.).

Askarov played in the VHL as a 17y.o.. as I wrote already(maybe it was in this thread earlier) other even a year and a half older goalies in his age group started a combined <10 games in the league(more than half of them was one other young prospect;)). Askarov strted 18 games.

Being "below average" in a men's league at age 17 is the norm. Otherwise he would have been a second coming of Tretiak, which he isn't. There was only one Tretiak in the history of the sport. Askarov is "only" a first round ranked best goalie prospect in his draft class.

And again for the 1000th time he wasn't playing for superior teams, nor behind superior D.

You quoting his stats of a double if not tripple underager is just absurd. Put Malik on those russian teams and they end up with the record of the czech teams.

You agreed with my point that there isn't any good 01 Russian goalies...yet argue that point?
Askarov played in VHL and was below average - ranking 53rd in GAA/Save %.
For the 1000th time - Russia has and will be for the foreseeable future a medal favorite at every tournament at just about every age bracket. Last years WJ team was favored "Team Russia is a heavy favourite to win this tournament"...
So blaming poor stats is just because of age? He was average at 5 Nations too vs his own age.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You don't need to look at his stats to see that this kid is special. Good team in front of him or not, this type of athleticism and ability is uncanny. We haven't seen a 17 year old goalie look this good in a long time.

I've been a hockey fan for a long time and most of the highly touted goaltending prospects never pan out. It's a a graveyard. I'm not saying Askarov won't match the hype but it's not even close to a 100% thing. One might say it's the same with forwards and defensemen but the reality is those positions are easier to project and contribute on average much sooner than a goaltender will. I expect Askarov to be a top 15 selection but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of hand wringing over it.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know if Askarov ever said how he feels about getting to the NHL?

I’m curious what is the risk of him wanting to stay in Russia long-term and not move to North America at all?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know if Askarov ever said how he feels about getting to the NHL?

I’m curious what is the risk of him wanting to stay in Russia long-term and not move to North America at all?

There's a 1% chance, like there is with all of them. You can't be sure until they are signed, so thats why I say 1%, but they all want to play in the NHL.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
If he's there at 15, the Leafs are taking him.
I could see that. Woll didn't perform well last season and Scott didn't play at all so whatever confidence the Leafs had in those two probably took a hit. Had they performed well my guess would be Leafs go best player at C/D at 15.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Quis quaeret ipso Askarov?

1cAeL3g

Who asks the Askarov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad