Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Yea this kid is an absolute beauty
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.05.35 PM.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't know. I've never been a fan. Yet to be impressed. He was almost always shaky in international games for Russia and he looks shaky in this one as well. Clearly outplayed by Monty. His positioning is faulty. He's over aggressive, keeps on losing his net. He's 6'4" so he shouldn't have to move left and right like crazy yet still he never seems to be in the right position. There's no calm in his game.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Don't know. I've never been a fan. Yet to be impressed. He was almost always shaky in international games for Russia and he looks shaky in this one as well. Clearly outplayed by Monty. His positioning is faulty. He's over aggressive, keeps on losing his net. He's 6'4" so he shouldn't have to move left and right like crazy yet still he never seems to be in the right position. There's no calm in his game.

It's his first game and he's 20, he'll be fine.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's his first game and he's 20, he'll be fine.
Hopefully. I haven't seen too many KHL or AHL games of him but what worries me is that he played the same way for Russia as well. Like always. It's his style that's faulty and I fail to see progress in that regard. His positioning is gonna need a shitload of work. He needs to take a page out of Vasi's book. Badly.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Hopefully. I haven't seen too many KHL or AHL games of him but what worries me is that he played the same way for Russia as well. Like always. It's his style that's faulty and I fail to see progress in that regard. His positioning is gonna need a shitload of work. He needs to take a page out of Vasi's book. Badly.

Well he was good enough to be player of the week last month and had two shutouts. He's very young, he can learn positioning.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
He played well if you watched the game, which obviously you didn't.

I actually watched it start to finish, so never assume.

He had some solid saves, and wasn't terrible be any means. The guys on TSN seemed amused by his adventures trying to play the puck up by the blue line.

I think it's safe to say he's no prodigy, but could definitely still have a solid career in the league.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not the greatest debut he was hoping for, but the next step has been taken
I see no progress with Askarov. If that's the best he can do then he simply shouldn't play NHL right now. He played the game exactly the way he used to play for Russia which was disappointing to see. He's still young but the organization needs to start working on positioning with him. He's a big guy moving well so he shouldn't have to overreact to everything happening in front of him. Also, his rebound control was poor. Pucks flying left and right. And while his puck handling skills are great he also needs to calm down in that regard. It cost Nashville a goal. A very messy game by Askarov. Not one that's gonna give him confidence.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1673619313239.png

Just pointing out the age... prior to last night only one guy under 22 had played. Spencer Knight. NO 20 year olds in the NHL. What Askarov did was amazing...

Also, on a crazy note, how many Russian goalies are there!lol Elite goalie factory.

1673619442583.png

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was named to the AHL Central All Star team, together with Wallstedt.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it will always be his style to play "adventurous" and not ever adopt a solid goalie-factory positioning form. This individuality will make him entertaining. And he'll basically "make up for it" with his athleticism and instincts, well enough to still manage to be a #1 goalie in the NHL. And will still get criticized all along the way by people who want the cookie cutter technique instead. Fair enough. But I don't think folks should expect to see him change his style much. Cut down on the jitters, sure, but still basically play exactly the same way, even in the NHL. Hopefully he gets a coach who understands that and doesn't react too conservatively to him.

That said, I don't see him being ready for even that for another year. It was a nice reward to give him a game and make his All-Star week that much more fun for him, but realistically... if Saros plays that game then the Preds win, and the team is chasing a playoff spot right now, so the timing wasn't the best.

Reactions: Soundgarden

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Starts tonight! Congrats! Good luck.

It's funny because when I say the oil should've taken walstedt I'm repeatedly told goalies don't play in the NHL for at least 7 years after being drafted..
Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Nobody knows because goalies are weird and depth charts can make it tricky especially if you have someone a shitty starter/backup making too much money.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Whos the last goalie that had such a hectic play style that was a great goalie in the NHL?

Most recent I can think of is Quick, could add Tim Thomas probably but he didnt have a long career, just a very high peak.

Since Askarov's draft year I've been pretty firm that if he doesnt calm down in his play style that he won't have a lot of success in the NHL. Sounds like he still hasnt improved this aspect at all.

Sure he can make big athletic saves, but is it really beneficial that he constantly has to make these types of saves?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Whos the last goalie that had such a hectic play style that was a great goalie in the NHL?

Most recent I can think of is Quick, could add Tim Thomas probably but he didnt have a long career, just a very high peak.

Since Askarov's draft year I've been pretty firm that if he doesnt calm down in his play style that he won't have a lot of success in the NHL. Sounds like he still hasnt improved this aspect at all.

Sure he can make big athletic saves, but is it really beneficial that he constantly has to make these types of saves?
Mike Smith!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad