G Yaroslav Askarov (2020, 11th, NSH) - PART 2

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
He's on track to get time behind Saros in a year or two. Depending on how Ingram's back-up year goes this next year. Would be interested in how he does in the AHL this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He’s been really solid last few games in the AHL. Hopefully, his NHL debut is soon to come
Well, hopefully not... from a Nashville fan's perspective. Because that would require an injury to Saros or Lankinen, and we don't want that.

Most reports from our Milwaukee fans seem to suggest Askarov still has a lot of work to do to fix some of the glitches in his game. It's nice he is playing better and making some highlight saves and all. And it's really great that he is finally playing a lot of games. But I wouldn't expect an NHL debut from him for a couple more years. Barring injury emergencies anyhow. So I would temper expectations somewhat.
:dunno:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Most reports from our Milwaukee fans seem to suggest Askarov still has a lot of work to do to fix some of the glitches in his game. It's nice he is playing better and making some highlight saves and all. And it's really great that he is finally playing a lot of games. But I wouldn't expect an NHL debut from him for a couple more years. Barring injury emergencies anyhow. So I would temper expectations somewhat.
:dunno:

I think it's fair to say he's had a massive fall from grace since being drafted. He was hyped as basically the second coming of Vasilevsky... at this point he's a project who is years away from being NHL ready. (And yes I know goaltenders more often than not take years to develop)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He’s been really solid last few games in the AHL. Hopefully, his NHL debut is soon to come
Predators will be in major trouble if that happens. He is nowhere near NHL ready and it could ruin him if he’s brought up too early.

I think it's fair to say he's had a massive fall from grace since being drafted. He was hyped as basically the second coming of Vasilevsky... at this point he's a project who is years away from being NHL ready. (And yes I know goaltenders more often than not take years to develop)
I never bought into his hype to begin with. He is at least 2 years away from becoming an NHL goaltender and Vasilevsky was already a starter at his current age.

Reactions: Flynn84

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Predators will be in major trouble if that happens. He is nowhere near NHL ready and it could ruin him if he’s brought up too early.

I never bought into his hype to begin with. He is at least 2 years away from becoming an NHL goaltender and Vasilevsky was already a starter at his current age.
Vas played in the ahl in his d+3, same as Askarov is doing this year. Vas was also a backup his first 2 seasons in the NHL, and didn't become the starter until his 3rd season in the league, which was only the case because Bishop went down with a major injury.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Vas played in the ahl in his d+3, same as Askarov is doing this year. Vas was also a backup his first 2 seasons in the NHL, and didn't become the starter until his 3rd season in the league, which was only the case because Bishop went down with a major injury.
Darn narrative crusher lol.

He'll probably get a few games this year with Ingram gone but as most goalies they take longer. Other than Ferrero having a hard on for him at the wjcs he's not on a bad trajectory

Reactions: The Wizard

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Vasilevsky left the KHL as a star goalie who has taken his very mediocre team to the conference finals with .934 Sv%.

Askarov left the KHL with people being increasingly scared to see him anywhere near the crease, being relegated to backup of SKA's farm team.

So even if you could nitpick what the poster you quoted stated, the fact remains Vasilevsky was far, far ahead of the curve, Tampa just were smart to not rush him and could afford to do so.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Vasilevsky left the KHL as a star goalie who has taken his very mediocre team to the conference finals with .934 Sv%.

Askarov left the KHL with people being increasingly scared to see him anywhere near the crease, being relegated to backup of SKA's farm team.

So even if you could nitpick what the poster you quoted stated, the fact remains Vasilevsky was far, far ahead of the curve, Tampa just were smart to not rush him and could afford to do so.
It's not called nitpicking when you correct something not true. Other than that, I never said anything about comparing the respective players.

You can call Askarov a traitorous bumass with no nhl future for all I care. I just don't like people blatantly making things up to spread their own bias.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's not called nitpicking when you correct something not true. Other than that, I never said anything about comparing the respective players.

You can call Askarov a traitorous bumass with no nhl future for all I care. I just don't like people blatantly making things up to spread their own bias.
Well, that was my point, the "lie" wasn't as blatant as you make it seem. Vasilevsky was a very successful starting goalie of the KHL team at age 20. Askarov hasn't been a starting goalie of any men's team until his very recent stretch in the AHL where he has mixed results.

It's a "blatant lie" only if you ignore their careers pre-NHL and the discussion, at this point, was about comparing respective players.

Having said that, sure, Mr. Gnashville obviously does have a narrative that he wanted to make look more impressive than it actually is.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Well, that was my point, the "lie" wasn't as blatant as you make it seem. Vasilevsky was a very successful starting goalie of the KHL team at age 20. Askarov hasn't been a starting goalie of any men's team until his very recent stretch in the AHL where he has mixed results.

It's a "blatant lie" only if you ignore their careers pre-NHL and the discussion, at this point, was about comparing respective players.

Having said that, sure, Mr. Gnashville obviously does have a narrative that he wanted to make look more impressive than it actually is.
Askarov wasn’t given a fair opportunity to start in Russia.

Reactions: The Wizard

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Cory Schneider (26th overall)
  • Good-excellent pick

Semyon Varlamov (23rd overall)
  • Average-good pick
Jonathan Bernier (11th overall)
  • Average-good pick

LMAO. Varlamov, who has 100 more career wins than Schneider (who currently plays in minor-pro), is - according to you - not just worse than Schneider but is on par with Jonathan Bernier, a backup in most years. This is outright comedy.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Askarov wasn’t given a fair opportunity to start in Russia.
No idea what this is supposed to mean. He was never more than a 4th goalie in the system. You need to climb up the ladder to get more minutes, how is that not fair?

If anything, he was getting starts in the KHL in 20/21 just because he was Yaroslav Askarov but he justified it by playing really well. He would probably have gotten even more in 21/22 but blew it by playing badly at all levels.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
LMAO. Varlamov, who has 100 more career wins than Schneider (who currently plays in minor-pro), is - according to you - not just worse than Schneider but is on par with Jonathan Bernier, a backup in most years. This is outright comedy.
Or you could actually read my post, where I make it INCREDIBLY clear that the rating is purely comparing the player to the 5 guys picked after him, and that’s it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad