Prospect Info: G Tyler Parsons, 54th overall

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Goalies in the NHL are like QBs in the NFL for me. You keep drafting one every year until one pans out. Our team is a testament to what not having a good goalie can do.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Goalies in the NHL are like QBs in the NFL for me. You keep drafting one every year until one pans out. Our team is a testament to what not having a good goalie can do.

Main difference being that QBs in the NFL are infinitely easier to predict than goalies in the NHL, and a decent goalie is surprisingly easy to find via trade or free agency most of the time (comparatively).

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'm happy we got a goalie just because McDonald will be moving to ECHL/AHL this year. I know we have Schneider, but we just signed him. Drafting a new goalie who will be in juniors another year or two is a good thing. Keeps a cycle going if the prospects don't pan out. I like having a couple AHL/ECHL level guys, and a couple junior/college/euro options.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I agree, IF you have all your picks or extra picks, picking a goalie every draft is a good idea.

If we only had like 4 or 5 picks though I'd rather leave a goalie out.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
What I think is being overlooked, is this kid back stopped the Knights through the OHL playoffs and all the way to the memorial cup victory. He has proven that when under pressure he holds his cool, this of course, cannot be taught and is very important when looking for goalies. You want a solid mental makeup which doesn't break down under high stress play in the playoffs like a MAF has so many times.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's only 6'1, but if the NHL goes to the smaller equipment. Blocking goalies like Matt Murray will struggle the most.

Guys who 'make the save' and don't just 'let it hit them' should benefit (or have less of a negative impact). Guys like Ortio, Fleury, Quick and Parsons could be the future (the way it should be) I'm not a fan of the behemoths that cover the whole net.

He was realllly good in the memorial cup. But he also didn't face a lot of rubber. Definitely wayyyyyy better then a guy like Zach Fucale with the Mooseheads who won most of his games 6-5 on like 22 shots.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's only 6'1, but if the NHL goes to the smaller equipment. Blocking goalies like Matt Murray will struggle the most.

Guys who 'make the save' and don't just 'let it hit them' should benefit (or have less of a negative impact). Guys like Ortio, Fleury, Quick and Parsons could be the future (the way it should be) I'm not a fan of the behemoths that cover the whole net.

He was realllly good in the memorial cup. But he also didn't face a lot of rubber. Definitely wayyyyyy better then a guy like Zach Fucale with the Mooseheads who won most of his games 6-5 on like 22 shots.

Equipment really won't make a significant difference, bigger goalies will always be.. bigger height-wise in forcing the other team to pick corners, which there's rarely time to do. Blocking goalie vs save-making goalie comes down to the ability of the defensemen in front to seal out. Guys like Murray will always be effective behind teams with D who seal out well. This is what people will never get when comparing goalies' rebound control and save percentages. The initial stop isn't as difficult as the second save, and often the second save is because of a bounce not off the goalie but a stanchion or a shot blocker.

I'm rooting for Ortio, McDonald, and Parsons for the same reason as you - I think they're the kind of goalies who should be playing the sport, not just knee-dropping robots with great timing. But I'm cynical about the equipment making a difference.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Put me down as someone who also believes that shrinking goalie equipment won't make as big of an increase in goals as some are projecting it to have. Totem pole goalies will still save the majority of the shots they face. A few more squeakers may get in, but I doubt we see goalies like Luongo suddenly turn into AHL fodder or anything due to smaller equipment.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's been mentioned, but reiterating what Burke said about him is really why I like the pick. He has the athleticism to make those desperation saves. Someone like Quick opposed to a Bishop or Luongo, not that these two can't make them but they don't rely on it.

I'm also with a lot of you when it comes to shrinking pads, I don't think it will make a huge different. If they were going back to 1980's size then yeah I think it would, but they aren't.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gillies, MacDonald or Parsons?

Well to be honest I didn't like the McDonald pick either at the time. This was Parsons though. I'd be shocked if Parsons, Fox, and Tkachuk didn't play big roles for team USA at the WJC.

Dube was ok. Which is better than pretty much any other Canadian players.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do you think Treliving will re-sign Parsons this summer or cut him loose?
I had huge hopes for Parsons but so far his Flames career has been somewhat disappointing. He's 23 now. Not old for a goal but but his development has been very stagnant.
When it comes to drafting goalies Calgary has really sucked. Hopefully thst changes with Wolfe.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I had huge hopes for Parsons but so far his Flames career has been somewhat disappointing. He's 23 now. Not old for a goal but but his development has been very stagnant.
When it comes to drafting goalies Calgary has really sucked. Hopefully thst changes with Wolfe.
We need to qualify Parsons or Zagidulin to meet expansion requirements and I don't think Zagidun will be back

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Parsons who?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Parsons doesn't have to be qualified to be exposed, for some reason, according to CapFriendly.

Zagidulin is exempt.
Exposure requirements have nothing to do with players being eligible to be exposed, teams have to meet certain requirements. One of which is there needs to be at least 1 goalie exposed that is under contract or a RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad