Prospect Info: G Tyler Parsons, 54th overall

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Disappointed that we picked another goaltender. I would assume McDonald is going to get buried in the ECHL.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
With McDonald going pro not surprised they wanted another goalie in the system. Kinda surprised this is who we took though. Pens took who I would have right after us.

Won't really know how this pick was for 6 years or so though lol, cause goalies

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Goalies bust at the same rate as players. Parsons though showed great improvement through the season. The work he did with his goalie coach was great. For me he's the 6th best goalie in the draft.

Tyler Parsons Profile

His quickness is also a strong point that was displayed during the playoffs and the Memorial Cup. Shooters had a hard time catching Parsons down because he could transition from butterfly back to his stance before the puck could catch Parsons off guard. Forwards and defense will love playing in front of Parsons due to his puck handling ability.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seems odd for the Flames to pick a goalie this high. But after about pick 20 the draft was a crap shoot.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Seems odd for the Flames to pick a goalie this high. But after about pick 20 the draft was a crap shoot.

A bunch of other goalies are going in round 2/3. So if they want one, they have to get him.

Also, there are only limited number of goalies to pick. If you like one better, you need to go for it. There are more options with skater.

That's not saying the Flames picked the right one. They usually dont.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To those in the GDT that were mad we took him over Fitzpatrick, I'm very okay with that. Edit: I may be mixing up my players now. Ignore me.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
To those in the GDT that were mad we took him over Fitzpatrick, I'm very okay with that. As I've mentioned before, Fitzpatrick is a die hard Oilers fan, to the point he joked about wanting to go undrafted so he can sign as a UFA with them.

Also, Fitzpatrick's HDSV% was really bad whereas Parsons' HDSV% top the OHL. 81.25% vs 73.41% (75.6 being average).

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Ya got a kid who has continuosly improved over a couple seasons in Lindon and stepped it up in POs and Memorial Cup.
Hes an extremely hard worker, coachable and really wants it. A good start.
Also had a late start to playing competitively on ice so he should only get better.

( hopefully they leave him in London for w seasons ;))

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
2nd round is a historically pretty good place to pick a goalie. Hoping one of Gillies, McDonald, Parsons works out, Flames haven't developed a decent goalie in this millennium.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Also, Fitzpatrick's HDSV% was really bad whereas Parsons' HDSV% top the OHL. 81.25% vs 73.41% (75.6 being average).

where does one access these stats for Junior?

Disappointed that we picked another goaltender. I would assume McDonald is going to get buried in the ECHL.

This doesn't affect McDonald, they are two drafts apart.
It's Schneider who might fall into limbo with this drafting as he doesn't have McDonald or Parsons' talent and projects more as a backup and will need playing time to continue developing.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not a great fan of another goalie in the 2nd round, but at least he looks like he's pretty good.

I agree with Hox. If it was the #35 in this draft I might have been more annoyed, but honestly from 50-100 there isn't a HUGE separation in this draft. There definitely was some elite talent in the first round, especially in the first 15 or so, some good talent in the 16-30 range, and a few guys that could be in that second tier as well in the 31-50 range. But the drop off was pretty sharp after that.

moon*

We had an extra 2nd this year and 2 2nds last year so I am fine with taking a shot at a goalie. If Parsons was the guy they had ranked the best I would prefer to take him in the 2nd then go with the 4th or 5th best guy in the 3/4/5th round.

With what can happen when you have no goalies and the way we have seen guys like Jones and Murray develop into starters I like the idea of having a few young guys in the system to give us a better shot.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Was one of 4 goalies invited to USA's WJC camp this year, as a 97 it wasn't surprising when he was cut(in favour for Halverson and Nedjelkovic). He was invited to USA's summer development camp coming up in August(Oettinger, Sarthou, and Woll are the other 3 goalies invited), I would expect him to be part of the WJC team next year.

He brought stability to the net that I feel London hasn't had since Houser. I haven't watched Stolarz since he left London but at the Junior level I would take Parsons over him 7 days a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad