Prospect Info: G Topias Leinonen -- Selected 41st overall in 2022

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Well laid out.

Only thing I'd add is the pro-KA crowd is much more rational and willing to criticize where warranted, as can be seen in this thread. It's the others who need the reminder - "praise can be warranted from time to time - trust me, it's ok."
It’s good to note that criticism of this pick isn’t a referendum on KA. I don’t agree with him unilaterally. I just disagree with the forum on this pick.

Likely, based on the odds-to-NHL Of second round picks, it’s safer to say “no”. But we’ll see.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Topias Leinonen, G

1/25/2004 | 6-foot-4 | 214 pounds | Catches left

Drafted: No. 41 in 2022

Analysis: Leinonen had a tough season in Finland’s junior league. He’s a huge goalie with solid technique and sense so he certainly still has a chance to make it. He moves fine for a guy his size, but ideally, he adds more lower-half quickness because he’s probably too slow for the NHL level.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Countries tend to send good players to world juniors.

This pick is what we almost universally thought it was the moment they made it. A waste. A waste that could have been Lane Hutson
I was more upset about the pick because there was a plethora of good RHD available...

Granted Adams addressed the RHD this past draft but still taking a goalie @ 41 in a draft that had a weak goalie class was upsetting. He didn't have great #s pre draft and continues to go downhill since.

There is still time for him to rebound and figure it out but I didn't like the pick when it happened and its starting to look like I never will.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I was more upset about the pick because there was a plethora of good RHD available...

Granted Adams addressed the RHD this past draft but still taking a goalie @ 41 in a draft that had a weak goalie class was upsetting. He didn't have great #s pre draft and continues to go downhill since.

There is still time for him to rebound and figure it out but I didn't like the pick when it happened and its starting to look like I never will.
Panic pick because Levi didn't look like he would sign and Portillo wouldn't for sure

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t think that’s accurate. I believe he was a backup as recently as Tuesday. He was hurt at the beginning of the year and in mid-November.

You are correct. He's been JYP's backup 7 times now in December but he has only seen game action twice (one Liiga game on Nov. 28th where it looks like he got pulled after the 5th goal against and one Mestis game he played on the 26th). That said, he's clearly not on the top of his game nor played enough to really warrant being any part of any U20 team.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Panic pick because Levi didn't look like he would sign and Portillo wouldn't for sure
I understand why they needed to draft a goalie but not at that point of the draft.

I also don't understand why Adams didn't sign Suchanek.. Kid looked good during that rookie camp. Looks like he signed with the Ducks. Its a small sample but he's been putting up good numbers in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I understand why they needed to draft a goalie but not at that point of the draft.

I also don't understand why Adams didn't sign Suchanek.. Kid looked good during that rookie camp. Looks like he signed with the Ducks. Its a small sample but he's been putting up good numbers in the AHL.
It was a big miss by the team, but if it makes you happy, JJ Peterka was a big, aggressive move-up in a draft that was genius. We moved up from 38th to 34th and gave up a fourth-rounder and have a top-10 pick.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It was a big miss by the team, but if it makes you happy, JJ Peterka was a big, aggressive move-up in a draft that was genius. We moved up from 38th to 34th and gave up a fourth-rounder and have a top-10 pick.
Adams has drafted well since taking over I am not doubting that. Just saying out of Adams 30 something draft selections tobias is looking like a big swing and miss.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Adams has drafted well since taking over I am not doubting that. Just saying out of Adams 30 something draft selections tobias is looking like a big swing and miss.

Agreed on Tobias, though I do understand the selection. Large frame, top ranked Euro goalie by Central Scouting. It's the injuries that are setting him back more than anything, because he isn't even getting the opportunity to try to establish and develop.

As for Suchanek, I agree, though I do wonder if Suchanek himself saw the young logjam in net and declined. Much like Portillo.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
This kid has played only six games this season, according to HockeyDB (seven if you follow Elite Prospects).
No matter who you follow, that's not many games in what should be an important year for Topias.
Does anyone here know what's going on with him?

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
This kid has played only six games this season, according to HockeyDB (seven if you follow Elite Prospects).
No matter who you follow, that's not many games in what should be an important year for Topias.
Does anyone here know what's going on with him?

Team was in hunt of the playoffs spot and their #1 goalie is Veini Vehviläinen.

The whole team is a mess though from top management down.. would be better if he had games though for sure but on this occasion the reasons are there.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Can they sign him and send him down to Jacksonville next year? I don't even know if they can do that or not. There may be room in Rochester for him depending on what they do with Levi, but IDK if he's ready for the AHL.

He needs to play though. 6 games is just not enough for a 20 year old. He needs reps at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad