Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I don’t even think Alex auld played this bad.

...that’s a problem. He’ll obviously be better, but it better happen quick. It’s been 25 games and it’s been the same since the very beginning. We gonna go half a season before he wakes up? That can’t happen. Really hoping driedger gets a shot

Reactions: klabob

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I don’t even think Alex auld played this bad.

...that’s a problem. He’ll obviously be better, but it better happen quick. It’s been 25 games and it’s been the same since the very beginning. We gonna go half a season before he wakes up? That can’t happen. Really hoping driedger gets a shot
Have to keep rolling Bob for better or for worse. Drieger, Monty at best at .910 goalies with a ton of starts.

At best, Bob is a .930 guy who we're married to. Yea. Give the AHLer a start, but we have to let Bob play through this, whether it takes 1 more game or 47 more.

Reactions: BeezKnees

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
@vendetta , we are talking about Bob's performance, not wins per se. Of course in WSH case, 1 to 2 key saves could have made a big difference on the outcome of the game.

My point was that 1 to 2 key saves cannot be taken as a general evaluation point between a good or a bad performance, whatever the outcome or score of the game - everything is relative. Not making those saves currently does not make Bob the worst goalie in the league.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The issue isn't that some people believe he has played like an elite goalie, I don't think anyone is so far out of whack with reality to think that. It's that some believe he has played good/well enough and that we shouldn't expect more because of the defense. And that's absolutely preposterous and I disagree.
I don't think he has played well enough to give the team a chance to win every game and his SV% is indicative of how "well" he has played so far. He's giving a bad goal (that is not due to bad defense) in almost every game. Take off 15 bad goals from his total and he'd be at .914 which is about the max I'd expect a mediocre goalie to perform behind this current defense.

You are not making any sense, I'm not saying the defense is playing well. I'm saying I don't give a **** what journos say. I watch the games and I don't work for a tight-knit incestuous group of journos that depend on the Team for their paychecks. Q better not be satisfied with this defense and he's a good guy, he won't throw a mentally fragile goalie under the bus.

Please, you don't care about stats? If you didn't care you wouldn't bring his Vezinas so often. You do care baout measures of success.
You still don't get it. Goalies, if they are playing well will have good stats despite a bad defense, like they did under Rowe or like Bob did for his first Vezina. He outplayed the **** out of that thrash defense. I'm not expecting him to play at that level again, but I expect him to outplay the Markstroms of this world.

Man as somebody else wrote this guy is smoking smth we all would want to try lol. Can't believe he mentioned how beat writers and broadcasters employed by the Panthers don't criticize one single player, and actually even Goldie has called out Bob a few times, like I believe in the Boston game he was like "...but those were just (regular) shots" and even in the last game he said smth critical, can't remember the wording right now. And G.Richards has written an article about the disappointing goalie situation already weeks ago. That is as much as you will ever get from those guys.

I actually didn't have Bob making any saves last night that wouldn't have been made the year prior. Although he did make two really good saves.

The first save was 30 seconds into the game. He stopped the shot point-blank, then lied out backwards and put his paddle down to stop the player from stuffing home the rebound. I thought for a minute about including the save in my count, because there's no way Lou would have made that save last year. But Floppy Fish Out of Water James Reimer might have. In the end I decided against it.

The other save was stopping OV on a clear-cut breakaway. That was just a good save on a pure goal-scorer.

It's also worth pointing out that I didn't really have Bob making any bad goals against. The third goal was so-so, but the shot was absolutely perfect. It was high blocker side on Bob, which we all know is his weakness by now. I'm sure he would have liked to have that shot back. But there was no margin of error taken with that shot.

Actually I thought Bob played quite well last night.

Therefore:

25/2=12.5 saves
12.5 saves/20 games

0.63 saves not made last year/gam

Bro, IDK how if it really makes sense to count those saves over such long stretch of games. What does it tell us, I think pretty much nothing cos it is purely subjective. Only reason you can even consider some saves not to be made last year is cos we had 39 year old broken down Luongo in net. Any below-average back up goalie can pull of spectacular saves every now and then. Also we had James Reimer, not a great goalie but he is definitely able to make a fantastic save here and there. Later we also got young and athletic Monty up and you really believe he could by no means theoretically have made most of those saves that you count as "wouldn't have been made the year prior"?

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Bro, IDK how if it really makes sense to count those saves over such long stretch of games. What does it tell us, I think pretty much nothing cos it is purely subjective. Only reason you can even consider some saves not to be made last year is cos we had 39 year old broken down Luongo in net. Any below-average back up goalie can pull of spectacular saves every now and then. Also we had James Reimer, not a great goalie but he is definitely able to make a fantastic save here and there. Later we also got young and athletic Monty up and you really believe he could by no means theoretically have made most of those saves that you count as "wouldn't have been made the year prior"?

For the one millionth time yes I understand its subjective. This is account for me personally and if you care to follow great, if not even better.

I realize Lou wouldn't have made basically any of those saves, and that Reimer would have made some, that's why I divide my total number by two, to cut down on error. There is no way that Reimer would have made any of the saves I've been counting. Pretty sure Reimers not going cross crease gloving a park down midair. If he was, then maybe someone should speak up that we should have kept him from last year, but no one has because he can't.

So in 25 games, you don't think Bob has made 25 saves this year that wouldn't have been made last year, if not, then I'm not sure we are watching the same games. Even to ease people's minds, again I am dividing the number by 2, so you don't think that Bob has made 12.5 saves this year in 25 games then you are lying to yourself.

Reactions: geisterpanthers

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
For the one millionth time yes I understand its subjective. This is account for me personally and if you care to follow great, if not even better.

I realize Lou wouldn't have made basically any of those saves, and that Reimer would have made some, that's why I divide my total number by two, to cut down on error. There is no way that Reimer would have made any of the saves I've been counting. Pretty sure Reimers not going cross crease gloving a park down midair. If he was, then maybe someone should speak up that we should have kept him from last year, but no one has because he can't.

So in 25 games, you don't think Bob has made 25 saves this year that wouldn't have been made last year, if not, then I'm not sure we are watching the same games. Even to ease people's minds, again I am dividing the number by 2, so you don't think that Bob has made 12.5 saves this year in 25 games then you are lying to yourself.

On the flip side, there have been goals that Bob conceded that would have been saved last year.

Let's not beat around the bush. Goaltending has been abysmal. What makes it even worse this year is that Bob is our highest paid player! If we were paying him Reimer money of $3.5m, I would still be irked about his general play. But he is one of the highest paid players in the league! It's about time he started playing like an elite goaltender, which is what we are paying him to do.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
On the flip side, there have been goals that Bob conceded that would have been saved last year.

Let's not beat around the bush. Goaltending has been abysmal. What makes it even worse this year is that Bob is our highest paid player! If we were paying him Reimer money of $3.5m, I would still be irked about his general play. But he is one of the highest paid players in the league! It's about time he started playing like an elite goaltender, which is what we are paying him to do.

In hindsight, I wish I started to track all the soft goals he's allowed, but I never did and I'm not backtracking now.

I think his salary is somewhat irrelevant. Does it really matter if he makes 3.5 million or 10 million a season? To me it doesn't. I don't even know what a 10 million dollar a year goalie looks like. Are they supposed to save every shot that comes their way?

Right now we have completed 30% of the regular season. I would be willing to bet that Bob is going to turn it around for the better. He already started to last game in my mind.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
In hindsight, I wish I started to track all the soft goals he's allowed, but I never did and I'm not backtracking now.

I think his salary is somewhat irrelevant. Does it really matter if he makes 3.5 million or 10 million a season? To me it doesn't. I don't even know what a 10 million dollar a year goalie looks like. Are they supposed to save every shot that comes their way?

Right now we have completed 30% of the regular season. I would be willing to bet that Bob is going to turn it around for the better. He already started to last game in my mind.

Completely disagree. Maybe if this was the Premier League where there is no salary cap. But the NHL does have a salary cap, so the difference between $3.5m vs. $10m is massive. I would expect a $10m goalie to look like one of the best players at his position. At the end of the day, that is what we are paying him to be. I would expect a save percentage of at least 0.915%. Is that unreasonable? Hell, even over 0.900% would be an improvement at this rate.

People complain about the defense, and that certainly has it's issues. But if that is the case, shouldn't we have put the money we are paying Bob into that instead?

I would say his game against the Caps was one of his worst performances, so confused that you see him turning it around because of that game.

I really hope he does turn it around, because if he doesn't, that is a massive albatross of a contract around our necks.

Fair enough with backtracking about soft goals. That would be a lot of work to go through all those games again.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Completely disagree. Maybe if this was the Premier League where there is no salary cap. But the NHL does have a salary cap, so the difference between $3.5m vs. $10m is massive. I would expect a $10m goalie to look like one of the best players at his position. At the end of the day, that is what we are paying him to be. I would expect a save percentage of at least 0.915%. Is that unreasonable? Hell, even over 0.900% would be an improvement at this rate.

People complain about the defense, and that certainly has it's issues. But if that is the case, shouldn't we have put the money we are paying Bob into that instead?

I would say his game against the Caps was one of his worst performances, so confused that you see him turning it around because of that game.

I really hope he does turn it around, because if he doesn't, that is a massive albatross of a contract around our necks.

Fair enough with backtracking about soft goals. That would be a lot of work to go through all those games again.

I will say, not being a salary cap guy it confuses me. So I see in the big picture how 10 million dollar goalie versus a 3.5 million dollar goalie is different, but I believe we paid Bob the money because we needed a competitive goalie to get here.

Get back to me at the end of the season what his save percentage number is. For the record, I think the stat is misleading. It judges a shot from outside the blue line that is weak the same as a save in tight below the slot. You can really tell one from the other because of the stat.

And I totally disagree that you said last game versus the Caps was one of his worst. I only have one goal, I think it was a third, that was a little iffy. It was the shot that went over Bob right shoulder, High blocker side . It was a perfect shot right under the corner post. But you can see Bob frustration that he would like to have that one back. The other four spots as a goalie he is above average in save percentage, but High blocker side he has struggled with this year.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I get the hang up with him being paid $10M, but I'm thinking that management didn't want to spend even more money on our defense since it's already the 2nd highest paid defense in the league. They upgraded up front with more depth, but probably didn't want to spend more there because there's going to be a lot of spend on forwards in future years plus we have lots of forward prospects.

So there was money left over and they wanted to spend to the cap, so they spent it on one of the best goalies in the league who had all the negotiating leverage. If we spent only $5M on Lehner, many would be complaining about how we don't spend to the cap while other teams do.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany

I agree to some extent. I think Bob has made a few saves that clearly wouldn't have been made.
And I'm not against you counting and posting it here, actually I think it's pretty cool so we got smth to discuss and I value your opinion. Right now I guess it's more valid than mine cos you have put some effort into counting and documenting it throughout the season.
Personally, as I didn't count, just going by my memory I would say there were less than 25 saves tho. But that might be because I would really just consider absolutely extraordinary saves as impossible for other goalies (Reimer, Lu, Monty, Huntchinson) to replicate. Those guys may not be able to make them consistently as Bob but I believe it's still not impossible for those guys to get on the highlight reel every now and then. Anyways, you account for that as devide it by 2, maybe that's fair, but that makes it even more subjective in my opinion.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I get the hang up with him being paid $10M, but I'm thinking that management didn't want to spend even more money on our defense since it's already the 2nd highest paid defense in the league. They upgraded up front with more depth, but probably didn't want to spend more there because there's going to be a lot of spend on forwards in future years plus we have lots of forward prospects.

So there was money left over and they wanted to spend to the cap, so they spent it on one of the best goalies in the league who had all the negotiating leverage. If we spent only $5M on Lehner, many would be complaining about how we don't spend to the cap while other teams do.

Yes if it was a one year deal but it is a long term commitment. This year the money might just have been left over.

Even if won't hurt us this season it will for sure in the future (if he doesn't improve dramatically) as players that could help us will become available but we won't be able to afford them or we won't be able to extend with some of our important players.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Man as somebody else wrote this guy is smoking smth we all would want to try lol. Can't believe he mentioned how beat writers and broadcasters employed by the Panthers don't criticize one single player, and actually even Goldie has called out Bob a few times, like I believe in the Boston game he was like "...but those were just (regular) shots" and even in the last game he said smth critical, can't remember the wording right now. And G.Richards has written an article about the disappointing goalie situation already weeks ago. That is as much as you will ever get from those guys.
The guy is getting benched for a ECHLer, it's about time they even murmur something about Bob garbage play. "but those were just regular shots" How savage!
lmao, thinking Richards is being paid by the team :laugh:

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
What I don't understand if some people say a lot of Bobs terrible numbers are on the D, how did Reimer, Lu and even Harri Sateri manage very good to at least decent numbers in 2017/18 season, behind the same or worse defensive personal in the Boughner system? Hell, even last year the goalies had significantly better stats. Is it Qs system then?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
What I don't understand if some people say a lot of Bobs terrible numbers are on the D, how did Reimer, Lu and even Harri Sateri manage very good to at least decent numbers in 2017/18 season, behind the same or worse defensive personal in the Boughner system? Hell, even last year the goalies had significantly better stats. Is it Qs system then?

Remember, the seasons only 30% over. Lots of time for these numbers to improve.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Should we start adding up which shots Bobrovsky wouldn’t have saved? :sarcasm:

In case you're wondering, I didn't have Driedger make any saves that wouldn't have been made last year. The defense played amazing!

It's almost like Q put the defensive handcuffs on this team, like someone here thought he would.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad