G Mikhail Berdin (2016, 157th, WPG)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why SKA needs 4 starting goalies?
Why indeed. But they are probably going to send one somewhere else at some point. Hellberg isn't too impressive so far and he takes up both import spot and cap space so that's an option.

Berdin is a KHL starting goalie now?
No, he is going to be sent to the VHL together with Galiev, who is another AHL plug destined for it, I heard from a reliable source :sarcasm:

Yes Atas, I know it's shocking to you but AHL players are KHL players. His AHL numbers are actually better than Hellberg's, too.

Reactions: hn777

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Why indeed. But they are probably going to send one somewhere else at some point. Hellberg isn't too impressive so far and he takes up both import spot and cap space so that's an option.

No, he is going to be sent to the VHL together with Galiev, who is another AHL plug destined for it, I heard from a reliable source :sarcasm:

Yes Atas, I know it's shocking to you but AHL players are KHL players. His AHL numbers are actually better than Hellberg's, too.
No matter how hard you try to bend the reality and lie it stays the same.

Where did I ever say that AHLers can't have success in the KHL? That is you trying to put words in my mouth I never said.

Berdin is no KHL starting goalie because he hasn't played in the KHL and hasn't proven anything yet. So at the moment of the signing(which is the core of the issue discussed) SKA was not signing a KHL starter. They were signing a prospect who might pan out as a KHLer. That is different. That is also not surprisimg with SKA who are now for years are hoarding goalie prospects from all over the country. Some of them pan out, some of them don't and often get stuck in SKA's system for no reason. On which side of the scale Berdin ends up remains to be seen. The positive talk about him has been going on for quite some time now. Nothing speaks against him making it right. But it has zero connection to whatever numbers Hellberg had in the AHL.

And don't get me started about Hellberg or numerous other foreign goalies in the KHL signed because they are foreign. That includes our Mr.Nice Guy Reideborn who is a backup taking up a foreigner spot now. That is no measuring stick.

And Galiev is now 3 full seasons removed from the AHL and his numbers improve continously. He is still a very one-dimensional player. And his first playoffs showed why I was sceptical. Maybe he is coming around... thanks to the KHL and proper coachimg as opposed to the AHL.

Reactions: vorky

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Berdin is no KHL starting goalie because he hasn't played in the KHL and hasn't proven anything yet.
Well that's the hilarious part. You quoted the post which stated SKA has 4 starting goalies and went after Berdin and not Askarov :laugh:

And no matter how one spins it, AHL starter is 1B goalie at worst on the KHL team. He is not a prospect, he was a starter at the league of comparable level. No matter how old he is or what's his perceived status. That's why SKA gave him a one-way contract, they can't even send him down and he surely wouldn't have signed 2-way because he was one injury away from NHL games.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98 and MardyBum

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also if Hellberg isn't traded Samonov will be the "victim" of Berdin's signing as he is on 2-way deal still.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Recently he said to Russian media that he does not want to play in the AHL anymore. Finally, he has realised it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Recently he said to Russian media that he does not want to play in the AHL anymore. Finally, he has realised it.
Not sure if anybody in the AHL wants to play in the AHL. :) But for him, he might be a good pick by Seattle as a goalie who has waiver exemption remaining. If they end up picking some other older goalies as well, his path to an NHL starting job might look a lot clearer if he played himself into Seattle's plans. :dunno:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
KHL rights traded to HC Sochi, there's still a possibility that he will play there too, if his loan will be extended by the Jets (reportedlythere is some work in progress on reaching that agreement).

Reactions: MardyBum

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
KHL rights traded to HC Sochi, there's still a possibility that he will play there too, if his loan will be extended by the Jets (reportedlythere is some work in progress on reaching that agreement).

So if he can't play in Sochi did SKA effectively trade away his right to play in the KHL?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So if he can't play in Sochi did SKA effectively trade away his right to play in the KHL?
Not sure what are you asking. It's all in the Jets' hands. If they want him back, he is going back. If they want him playing in the KHL, he will play for Sochi. I don't think this "trade" would have happened without some sort of understanding between all 3 parties involved.

Reactions: jetsforever

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure what are you asking. It's all in the Jets' hands. If they want him back, he is going back. If they want him playing in the KHL, he will play for Sochi. I don't think this "trade" would have happened without some sort of understanding between all 3 parties involved.

Ok makes sense, it was just a bit unclear from the initial wording

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad