Value of: (G) Matt Murray

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Goalies are like (most) Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Even good ones are worth 30 cents.
i like the analogy but it's a little flawed. sure, there are plenty of good cards that are cheap and meta relevant.

however, Murray is, IMO, like Apollousa, Bow of the Goddess, which is like $50.

that's "valuable", but only truly worth it for the decks (teams) that can build around it or will need something as good as it to succeed

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
First off- I'll start by stating I don't think for a second he'd be traded. I don't think the org' has the stones to trade the man they chose to keep over Saint Fleury, the Archangel of Pittsburgh- regardless of circumstance.

A trade would only happen on the premise that Muzz is asking for north of 7.5 and the org' has faith in Jarry/CDS moving forward (a tandem that would cost less than half of what MM will make).

So, for the sake of knowledge: what's the value? RFA Matt Murray, north of 7.5M to your club.

I think you need to change that from "stones" to "common sense". Even if Jarry takes his job there's no chance in hell that Rutherford would trade Murray before this summer. He'd be absolutely stupid to do so.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think you need to change that from "stones" to "common sense". Even if Jarry takes his job there's no chance in hell that Rutherford would trade Murray before this summer. He'd be absolutely stupid to do so.

Yeah that's still trading him....and it's exactly what I was alluding to (since knowing his contract demands will likely happen by next Summer anyway).

Maybe you think it's stupid - what I think is stupid is overpaying the goalie position. It's clearly volatile, and you don't pay premiums for volatility. However - I also don't think it would be stupid to trade him before the Summer if the return were right. Mentions of Nylander/Hall types....those would have a far greater impact to the Penguins roster than having Murray. His playoff prowess is not guaranteed (wasn't that great last year) and you're taking an equal chance on him this year (barring we make it) as you are with TJ/CDS tandem. If he can net a top-6 F ...which I think he absolutely does...or a top 4 D..again he should... that's a better scenario for the Penguins than hanging on to him for 1 more playoff run and/or paying him anywhere near/north of 7M a year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Murray continues to play like he has so far this year, he's not getting north of $7 million. I think the talks of trading Murray are ridiculous in the first place, you're really happy if Jarry can end up as good as Murray. Murray struggling and Jarry thriving for 10 games (because it has only been 10 games) is not enough to say they should trade Murray and go with Jarry.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If Murray continues to play like he has so far this year, he's not getting north of $7 million. I think the talks of trading Murray are ridiculous in the first place, you're really happy if Jarry can end up as good as Murray. Murray struggling and Jarry thriving for 10 games (because it has only been 10 games) is not enough to say they should trade Murray and go with Jarry.

No doubt. The original premise was trading him on the grounds that his camp wanted north of 7. He's slowly losing that leg - but who knows if he gets it back?

My recent point of trading him now - is only on the grounds of getting the top-6 F help or a top-4 D...because frankly those positions still outweigh a good Matt Murray at even 6M. TJ is playing extremely well.,...but if he falls a bit (.910 for instance) is that enough for you to pay Murray over the next 7 years? Or do you stick with that .910 guy who's only making 2M and his backup making 1.5? I choose the latter any day because pretty much ANY NHL level goalie is capable of that .940 stretch. We've dummied goalies named Lundqvist just as soon as gotten shut out by AHL call-ups. It's too volatile of a position to turn your nose up at the chance of trading a #1G for legitimate help. St Louis very recently had the entire sports world talking about Jake Allen and Brian Elliott (Pepperage Farm remembers..) and now where are they? Probably still capable of potting a stretch of great games but just don't have the same media backing and teams in front of them. Price goes from being a league MVP to carrying an albatross contract back to playing great... there's just too many factors involved to hitch your wagon to one guy.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Been revisiting scenarios in my head after Jarry's last week+ stretch of games.

Jarry's puckhandling really feed in to the Penguins system. Murray has always been a stud at stopping pucks/play - Jarry seems like he's capable of similar plays but can also feed the transition when necessary. I can't bring myself to push a Murray trade - but the thought of a top-4 D man to replace Schultz or a legitimate top-6 winger to play with Sid or Geno might change that sentiment.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Right trade for murray and he is gone. The have 2 other capable goalies and Jarry is looking incredible. Something has to give

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d love for the Devils to get Murray but no way that would happen ( division rivals plus pens not too keen on moving him )
Devils don’t have anything the Pens would be interested in besides Hughes Nico Smith is there?
Just bottom 6 forwards -Wood Zacha Bratt Boqvist ( Bo has too 6 potential )
And nothing on D besides smith and Vatanen (but Vats an upcoming UFA )

Rental Hall with max retention , Boqvist and ..... ya .... not happening as Pens hang up the phone

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
A Murray or Jarry trade won't happen till the summer if it happens at all. GMJR got burned in Carolina not having goalie depth, and both the Pens recent cup runs were made possible by having Murray and Fleury sharing the load for injuries and slumps. Let's let the season play out and make a decision based on performance and contract demands

Reactions: Trade

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm keeping Murray until the end of this year...But if New Jersey offers me rental Hall I'm considering it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It’s definitely not happening in season. Let it play out and see what happens at the end of the season .

Reactions: TNT87

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Re: Nylander...I think I may do that.

Re: Hall...no.

Re: Sens...I honestly do not know what asset the Sens could reasonably offer. I can think of two: 2019 1st or Brännström and to be frank, I'm even iffy on Brännström and Sens shouldn't trade that 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad