Value of: (G) Matt Murray

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
First off- I'll start by stating I don't think for a second he'd be traded. I don't think the org' has the stones to trade the man they chose to keep over Saint Fleury, the Archangel of Pittsburgh- regardless of circumstance.

A trade would only happen on the premise that Muzz is asking for north of 7.5 and the org' has faith in Jarry/CDS moving forward (a tandem that would cost less than half of what MM will make).

So, for the sake of knowledge: what's the value? RFA Matt Murray, north of 7.5M to your club.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
So many teams have established #1 goalies. The ones that don't really aren't in a position to give up pieces to trade for one. If Seattle were starting next Fall, maybe you get a nibble there.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Would any team even want Murray with him making over 7.5 million? Hypothetically if he was asking for that much I don’t think he would have any value at all and would be sitting until his ask became more reasonable.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would any team even want Murray with him making over 7.5 million? Hypothetically if he was asking for that much I don’t think he would have any value at all and would be sitting until his ask became more reasonable.

You don't think a team with goalie issues would want a guy with Murray's pedigree at that price? He's proven he can perform in the playoffs, and he generally puts up top 10-ish numbers (2017-18 being the exception). And he's only 25 years old.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Murray and Oilers... sounds good to me. Bouchard + 1st? I know goalies don't fetch too much but Murray is elite and RFA. I don't think Penguins would be willing to take back any goalies in this deal.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I see a lot of teams in need of a young #1.. Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, LA, Edmonton.

If Cory Schneider can get a 9th overall pick I think Murray would fetch a lot.

There are numerous scenarios that work out as well. The Pens could use a top-4 D just as soon as another top-6 F - both of which are valued around the mid-to-late first rounder mark (age dependent of course). Or a high pick that can open up moving our pick - or that pick - for one of those options.

Lot of discussion on what dollar figure MM will or should get in the 'burgh. Genuinely curious what some teams out there who could use / nice to have / a goalie like Murray would part with.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Murray and Oilers... sounds good to me. Bouchard + 1st? I know goalies don't fetch too much but Murray is elite and RFA. I don't think Penguins would be willing to take back any goalies in this deal.
Oh hell no.

I’d be interested for sure if he became available but the most I’m giving up is a 1st and b prospect like Benson or Jones. I’d send em Larsson too probably if we only needed to add a mid to low pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The likelihood that the Penguins would trade him is pretty slim, and unless he picks up his play this year, he's not even going to have an argument for making that much money. If he's actually demanding over $7.5 million, I think it will be with him having a strong year this year (like over .920 save% strong). If he's putting up that kind of season, he's going to be a lot more valuable than if he's asking for $7.5 million coming off a mediocre season.

Murray's an above average goalie, around 10th best in the league, and is young with a strong playoff resume. I think teams would definitely trade a lot for him. Start with what Schneider brought back and also consider that Murray has a larger track record as a starter (plus 2 cups), you're looking at a big return.

Oh hell no.

I’d be interested for sure if he became available but the most I’m giving up is a 1st and b prospect like Benson or Jones.

Then you wouldn't get him :laugh:

If Schneider is pulling off the 9th overall pick, you're not getting Murray for something that is less than that.

Reactions: BHD and molon labe

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If we gave up MAF only to give up Murray and then roll with Jarry and DeSmith then I'll riot. Just sayin' :laugh:
Jarry was the plan for when Fleury was done in Pittsburgh. Murray just happened to come out of no where and modified that plan. If he keeps playing the way he has, I see nothing wrong with a Jarry DeSmith combo.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Then you wouldn't get him :laugh:

If Schneider is pulling off the 9th overall pick, you're not getting Murray for something that is less than that.

Oh come on, that cannot be the basis for a trade. That was a terrible trade the minute it was made.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh come on, that cannot be the basis for a trade. That was a terrible trade the minute it was made.

So we can't judge future value of players because you think one trade was bad?

Martin Jones brought back a 1st and a prospect in 2016, and I'd argue that Schneider was noticeably more valuable when he was moved. What do you think Murray's value is if you think the Schneider trade was "terrible"?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So we can't judge future value of players because you think one trade was bad?

Martin Jones brought back a 1st and a prospect in 2016, and I'd argue that Schneider was noticeably more valuable when he was moved. What do you think Murray's value is if you think the Schneider trade was "terrible"?

Well, GM's better start learning that it's not worth trading a top 10 pick for a goalie. Long-term, it was a horrible deal.

Calgary asked for Murray in the past and the Pens wanted 6th OA (Tkachuk). That was a big hell no for Calgary. No goalie is worth that much. Maybe the Pens can get a mid 1st and a decent prospect but certainly not a top 10 pick.

Reactions: 780il

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
The Penguins need to fix Matt Murray, not trade him. His confidence is broken, not playing the top of his crease and not playing angles and percentages perfectly. Playing Jarry a little more perhaps gives him a kick in the ass as well.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Jarry was the plan for when Fleury was done in Pittsburgh. Murray just happened to come out of no where and modified that plan. If he keeps playing the way he has, I see nothing wrong with a Jarry DeSmith combo.

If that was the case then we woulda let Murray go and just held on to MAF. MAF coulda been his mentor and voila.

I don't think our team can handle going through another development of a starting goalie. We're too old for that and are in a win now mode while Malkin is still going. Murray offers us that in the meantime and posts crazy good numbers while he does it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If they do trade Murray it's not happening til the draft. And thats if Jarry led them to a cup win.

Murray will be a great goalie again, just has to get by these years of ups and downs that most young goalies go thru.

He set such a high bar for himself with those cup wins(1.70 GA and .938 sv % was ridiculous) at age 21. He'll be 25 by this year's playoffs...will he have matured enough by then? Not sure. But I do know this is a great chance for Jarry , who already went thru struggles in NHL and AHL the past few years. Who is now back to playing at a high level. Small sample size still but this is his chance to keep it going and at least make things interesting in the off-season. If Murray wasnt due a big raise this wouldn't be a discussion. But with the timing of it...again, Jarry's chance to make a name for himself and have a solid future in this league.

And he has a great team around him, doesnt need to stand on his head to advance in the playoffs. Just not constantly blow leads the way Murray has the last two playoffs(hes had to very great playoff runs and two poor ones...this year will tell us alot).

Ideally, Pens are in a situaton where they can use both like the 2nd cup when Fleury got past the first two rounds and Murray took it from there.

Reactions: Hamurai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad