Confirmed with Link: G Matt Murray is out indefinitely, will be put on LTIR prior to season starting.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s entirely plausible that Murray is re injured. His last stint in net for the Leafs is as follows.
He is playing like crap and get sat for 5 games he finally draws back in and can’t even make it through pre game warm up without claiming injury but he was able to sit on the bench for the previous 5 games with no mention of an injury.
These injuries are all in his head. He could work himself up to an injury just by thinking about it. Worst goalie pick up ever. Just wait until he wants back in and goes to the league to enforce it

We did. One of the better goalies in the league last year. We just re-signed him.
Marginal at best

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Leafs need to clear $500k to be cap compliant. More moves to come for sure. I think the Leafs are going to address the defense and get younger and cheaper.

View attachment 731566

Hmmmm.... who was signed on this team that probably shouldn't be in the league and makes 500k more than the league minimum? Shockingly, this bad contract has now made the team have to make more moves.

Such a dumb signing, hope he somehow makes the team play bigger, but I doubt it.

If he wasn't signed any of Robertson, McMann, Gambrell, and Steeves works cap-wise and we wouldn't have to move a D.

12-7-2 in that scenario.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Now that Murray's fate as a Leaf has been sealed, our goaltending situation looks much clearer -- Samsonov and Woll with the big club, and four prospects (Hildeby, Petruzelli and the two Russian kids) developing their games down below. May they all kick butt.
Certainly be nice if one of the two in the A make a big leap like Woll's last year. And let’s hope he stays there, too.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hmmmm.... who was signed on this team that probably shouldn't be in the league and makes 500k more than the league minimum? Shockingly, this bad contract has now made the team have to make more moves.

Such a dumb signing, hope he somehow makes the team play bigger, but I doubt it.

If he wasn't signed any of Robertson, McMann, Gambrell, and Steeves works cap-wise and we wouldn't have to move a D.

12-7-2 in that scenario.
I suspect he’ll be up and down the waiver wire like a yo-yo.
It’s about as waiver safe a contract as he could sign.

Reactions: Pinkcat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How did he do in the playoffs

Sammy has at least shown he can be the man in playoffs, in the Tampa series he had some big games.

Honestly, the sample size for him in the playoffs is too small for me to write him off when he has shown glimpses of being great.

Woll honestly looked like a stud though and I hope he turns into our #1, would be nice to have homegrown talent.

2 years was the sweet spot for us with Sammy so we can re-evaluate him/Woll when they both need to be signed.

I suspect he’ll be up and down the waiver wire like a yo-yo.
It’s about as waiver safe a contract as he could sign.

I've been thinking we can maybe yo-yo Gio if he does the 'I will retire if claimed' like Spezza.

Not sure Reaves passes through. I think he has value for teams who aren't competing.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
All I said was that a player couldn't be put on LTIR unless they were actually hurt.

I said a team can't just "decide" to LTIR a player because it involves multiple medical professionals examining the player and determining that they are unable to play. In the case of LTIR in the off-season, it requires the team doctor to determine that the player will not be medically able to be at training camp and they need to be injured for at least the first ten games of the season. Beyond that, if they want to have him on LTIR deeper into the season, a doctor appointed by the league needs to verify and you also get into insurance and that requires yet another medical professional to agree with the findings.

At no point did I say it wasn't a possibility, you're just making that up. What I said wasn't possible was the Leafs simply deciding to do that without medical evidence of it and Matt Murray being on the same page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uncleben

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How did he do in the playoffs
Had some ups and downs like most goalies, but most importantly, he did something that none of our other goalies have been able to do - put up a dominant performance in a series-deciding game to help us win a series.

Reactions: kb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Before Dubas was fired

Nick Kypreos of the Toronto Star

Dubas acquired Murray for the Toronto Maple Leafs over the previous off-season and wanted to give him a respectful push as a starting goalie.

Injuries got in the way and sidelined Murray for all but 26 games in 2022-23; he went 14-8-2 in those contests with a 3.01 goals against average and .903 save percentage.

Kypreos states that Dubas wanted Murray to stay in Toronto to finish his contract which earns him a total of $6.25 million; thanks to retained salary,

Kyle was ready to run back the Samsonov & Murray duo for 2023-24.

Back in May, Murray spoke to the media in the exit interviews and claimed he was healthy and ready to go in 2023-24.

“My goal is to maintain the kind of level that I was playing in November and December and maintain that all season,” Murray said. “If I can do that, we’ll be in good shape.”

Neither Leafs former GM nor Matt Murray himself knew he was injured & going to go in LTIR and perhaps miss the entire season.

I actually don't believe much that is said publicly.
We all know that's propaganda.

And who is to say Murray doesn't show up in November saying, "Hey I feel great. When can I start?"

Or maybe he talks to Stone's doctor and gets clearance after the Cap is lifted?

Was there any doubt the Leafs would be Cap compliant come start of season?

Did people actually think they wouldn't be?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Berger keeps lobbing stuff. He has been useless since time immortal. I thought we banned his crap lol.. I guess that was Eklund.

I don’t hate on “insiders” like some do round here, but I do have an ignore list, and he’s on it. HNIC panel was the last click bait.
He’s not an “insider“.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sammy has at least shown he can be the man in playoffs, in the Tampa series he had some big games.

Honestly, the sample size for him in the playoffs is too small for me to write him off when he has shown glimpses of being great.

Woll honestly looked like a stud though and I hope he turns into our #1, would be nice to have homegrown talent.

2 years was the sweet spot for us with Sammy so we can re-evaluate him/Woll when they both need to be signed.

I've been thinking we can maybe yo-yo Gio if he does the 'I will retire if claimed' like Spezza.

Not sure Reaves passes through. I think he has value for teams who aren't competing.
If the playoffs weren’t such a grind…..

what value would Reaves have for teams not competing, and competing for what?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Well. Maybe, but the three years would be a pretty significant deterrent I’d think.
The difference between his salary and a Marlie salary covers the cap crunch I think - edit: I might have this wrong.
Plus, similar 4th line vets have passed up and down recently.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If the playoffs weren’t such a grind…..

what value would Reaves have for teams not competing, and competing for what?

Entertainment, a warm body who will "protect people" (never happens), mentorship, I am sure he has some value, I just don't think he has any to us.

A team like Anaheim or Chicago who won't be competing for a while maybe don't care.

Competing for the Stanley Cup.

Reaves will be playing the least amount on our team, he will barely have an effect on the game.

Well. Maybe, but the three years would be a pretty significant deterrent I’d think.
The difference between his salary and a Marlie salary covers the cap crunch I think - edit: I might have this wrong.
Plus, similar 4th line vets have passed up and down recently.

He might clear, but I just think he is also slightly over the buriable amount so I don't know if it still works. We had thousands to spare in some scenarios.

Just checked, he carries a 200k overage in the minors so we can't have a league min replacement and carry 7D.

It isn't the worst signing, I think it is just a useless one, and it has now just currently made us make decisions we wouldn't have had to otherwise.

I also just don't think they will waive him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Entertainment, a warm body who will "protect people" (never happens), mentorship, I am sure he has some value, I just don't think he has any to us.

A team like Anaheim or Chicago who won't be competing for a while maybe don't care.

Competing for the Stanley Cup.

Reaves will be playing the least amount on our team, he will barely have an effect on the game.

He might clear, but I just think he is also slightly over the buriable amount so I don't know if it still works. We had thousands to spare in some scenarios.

It isn't the worst signing, I think it is just a useless one, and it has now just currently made us make decisions we wouldn't have had to otherwise.

I also just don't think they will waive him.
I think he has more value on a 1 yr deal on mid tier team like the Leafs, Minny or another team trying to break through.

Unfortunately, he’s too old now, and I get the feeling he’s going to hate playing with this group.

Maybe Revo wasnt signed to just protect the players maybe he was signed to force them into the fight and set a new standard.
He should walked up to AM on the first day of camp, cut his murse strings and throw them in the garbage and tell them all no more of that crap.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think he has more value on a 1 yr deal on mid tier team like the Leafs, Minny or another team trying to break through.

Unfortunately, he’s too old now, and I get the feeling he’s going to hate playing with this group.

Maybe Revo wasnt signed to just protect the players maybe he was signed to force them into the fight and set a new standard.
He should walked up to AM on the first day of camp, cut his murse strings and throw them in the garbage and tell them all no more of that crap.

I'd argue someone like Bertuzzi or Domi may, but Reaves should spend approximately 0 seconds on the same line as any star player.

You want a borderline NHLer who is with the team for 3 years to harass the star player we are trying to sign? Bold move.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That sounds like a pretty stupid thing for a teammate to do. What would Reaves have against carrying things?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd argue someone like Bertuzzi or Domi may, but Reaves should spend approximately 0 seconds on the same line as any star player.

You want a borderline NHLer who is with the team for 3 years to harass the star player we are trying to sign? Bold move.
It hadn’t crossed my mind that he’d get top line minutes. Unfortunately, like always the Leafs get players ten yrs too late.

Matthews should be signed by training camp, and yes I’d love to seeRevo change the narrative by metaphorically cutting the purse strings and dragging them into a pack mentality.

However, I think he’s going end up hating this group.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1690466728728.png

Leafs new GM Brad Treliving might just be a Genius if he gets away with this inherited mess with Murray if LTIR for the full season sticks.

Since it came down to the 11th hour right before noon buyout window was to begin and Leafs were prepared to waive Murray for the purposes of a buyout by Friday noon. Then one has to wonder on the timing what was really going on behind closed door conversations, because as per CBA you can't buyout an injured player. So what happened that suddenly made the possible buyout go away?

Murray would only have received 2/3rds of his $8 mil owing and lost $2.667 mil via a buyout, so you have to wonder if Treliving convinced him if he was "Injured for the year" wink wink nudge nudge and Leafs put him on LTIR for the full regular season, would he do that to prevent losing 1/3 of his salary and agree to sit out the regular season?

That would prevent Leafs from taking a dead cap space hit with a buyout, and not cost them draft pick or sweetener to unload in trade as "Robidas Island" a brilliant Lou Lam invention is the best possible outcome of this ill-advised trade in the first place. This is what good GMs do make inherited problems disappear without costing it draft/prospect capital or dead cap space. :clap:

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It’s entirely plausible that Murray is re injured. His last stint in net for the Leafs is as follows.
He is playing like crap and get sat for 5 games he finally draws back in and can’t even make it through pre game warm up without claiming injury but he was able to sit on the bench for the previous 5 games with no mention of an injury.
These injuries are all in his head. He could work himself up to an injury just by thinking about it. Worst goalie pick up ever. Just wait until he wants back in and goes to the league to enforce it

Marginal at best
How is he the worst when there’s 0 risk or cost involved. They got paid to roll the dice on a cup winning goalie who needed either the best medical staff in the industry or to be put out to pasture.
Raycroft cost us a hof goalie and toskala cost a 1st 2nd +

Reactions: Da Mash and kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving had nothing to do with Murray being injured.

Lou didn't invent putting injured players on LTIR lol.
Come on man, even you have admit that putting Murray a very poor decisions to acquire in the first place on season long LTIR and off the team is the absolute best outcome for the Leafs.

Most knowledgeable people knew it was a REAL bad idea of acquiring an off-injured and unreliable Murray in the first place, so having him serve out the 2nd year on Robidas Island is a better than expected outcome, then even having Murray play 1 game them miss a month, then play another few games and they out indefinitely again, constantly on and off IR all season and unavailable and unreliable.

1690468548637.png

Now Lou Lam's drafted and developed boy & potential goalie of the future Joseph Woll has a clear path to NHL duty, after Murray has been iced and out of the picture long-term. :vhappy:

Leafs get to move on from an ugly inherited mistake without like the last GM using 1st round draft pick capital on Marleau or his own UFA signing blunder Mrazek.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Come on man, even you have admit that putting Murray a very poor decisions to acquire in the first place on season long LTIR and off the team is the absolute best outcome for the Leafs.
Murray going to LTIR is the best outcome for us right now. But him going to LTIR had nothing to do with Treliving or Lou. GMs don't injure players.
Now Lou Lam's drafted and developed boy & potential goalie of the future Joseph Woll has a clear path to NHL duty, after Murray has been iced and out of the picture long-term.
Yes, after being given time to develop under Dubas, and being signed to an amazing contract by Dubas, Woll looks ready to get a chance as an NHL backup behind our starter Samsonov, who was acquired by Dubas last year. Hopefully he does well.

I'm surprised you're such a big fan of Woll though, considering that when it comes to other goalies with injury histories, you've spoken a lot on how worthless and horrible to acquire and trust they are - including in this very same post. Why is Murray horrible because of his injury history, but Woll is great, despite significant injury history?
Leafs get to move on from an ugly inherited mistake without like the last GM using 1st round draft pick capital on Marleau or his own UFA signing blunder Mrazek.
Yes, we're lucky that Murray was injured enough to qualify for LTIR, considering that Woll has emerged enough to give him a chance at backup, and it didn't appear that our current GM was able to move off of goalies as effectively and cheaply as our previous GM did with Mrazek. We can also be thankful that our previous GM actually cared about managing the cap effectively, and completely avoided mistakes anywhere close to as bad or expensive to fix as Marleau.

Reactions: Da Mash

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Most knowledgeable people knew it was a REAL bad idea of acquiring an off-injured and unreliable Murray in the first place, so having him serve out the 2nd year on Robidas Island is a better than expected outcome, then even having Murray play 1 game them miss a month, then play another few games and they out indefinitely again, constantly on and off IR all season and unavailable and unreliable.

View attachment 731672

Now Lou Lam's drafted and developed boy & potential goalie of the future Joseph Woll has a clear path to NHL duty, after Murray has been iced and out of the picture long-term. :vhappy:

Yes, Lou totally developed a goalie that was never with the organization when he was gm 😂

• Haha
Reactions: kb

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Lol

Or Treleving simply said i am not giving more away to deal with this shit. Hey Murrays agent.. heads up good news that murray is 'healthy' we are looking at what buying him out looks like after Sammys case.

yeah it is too bad Treleving couldnt find such a cheap way to move off his mistakes like the former - derr it looks like he does things differently.

Good thing we got stone or kuchy koo injjry lucky at the right time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad