Confirmed with Link: G Matt Murray is out indefinitely, will be put on LTIR prior to season starting.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I call that an "added bonus". Sens fans were desperately hoping for a buyout. Funny how that works.
Tough talk from a fanbase cheering for a team that didn't even have the money for a f***ing buyout until this year.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Starting 20 for the 2023/2024 season.

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner
Domi - Kampf - Jarnkrok
X - Lafferty - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Liljegren
ex. Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For the $2 million plus dead cap the Leafs would incur in a Murray buyout in 2025, best believe that package from Ottawa would have to be significant.
You have to wonder had Treliving been successful in trading Murray at the draft or otherwise, would Murray be claiming he is injured today to avoid a buyout that would cost him 1/3 of his $8 mil dollars ?

I remember hearing and reading when Leafs named Treliving GM that there must have been a conversation between Leafs new GM and Murray because he scrubbed him social media account removing all reference to the Leafs .. Conclusion must have been told he was not coming back. Team and player certainly not on the same page.

Would be quite a plot twist, a goalie pretending he's hurt to prevent a buyout, and too ugly a contract and injury history to be wanted in trade by anyone, suddenly forces his way back on the Leafs against their wishes because they can't get rid of him and wins playoff games .. That's some real Quentin Tarantino script writing there. :)

Reactions: andora

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
It also means that we don't know. If there was a timeline, they would have said a timeline. If there was a timeline, there would be a possibility. When these things happen, they happen for the season.
I just explained to you that indefinitely means it's one thing until it isn't since you seemed confused on what it meant. I asked the question to see if there was any more details on it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Matt Murray placed on long term IR, but details are murky​

Lance Hornby Published Jul 26, 2023

The Maple Leafs now have the most streamlined solution to Matt Murray’s hefty cap hit and their crowded crease picture, but getting there raises a few questions.

On Wednesday they moved the goaltender to Long Term Injured Reserve prior to the start the 2023-24 season, which saves them Murray’s $4,687,500 US cap hit and forgoes a buyout that would’ve been expensive down the road. But the LTIR designation came two months after Murray seemed fully recovered from a late-season concussion, when he was well enough to be considered for a playoff start once Ilya Samsonov was hurt in the series Florida against series.

Wednesday’s LTIR designation, a one-sentence release from the club, came without any details of whether it was related to his head injury or earlier ankle and adductor muscle problems which also limited his playing time last year. A call to his agent, Robert Hooper, was not immediately returned. Murray was a full practice participant at season’s end, but by then relegated to No. 3 behind Samsonov and rookie Joseph Woll.

The league reserves the right to have an independent doctor make a medical determination in LTIR cases at some point in the event they deem it appropriate or necessary.

The Murray announcement came at 12 noon, the hour many expected he’d be placed on waivers if it was Toronto’s intention to buy out the final year of his contract by Friday afternoon.

While it can’t be said Murray is through in Toronto, it would seem the short-term goaltending plan is set. Samsonov, who was just awarded $3.55 million by an arbitrator in a one-year deal, is the likely No. 1, backed by Woll, who can longer be moved back and forth from the AHL Marlies without going through waivers.

Reactions: TheOne

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I just explained to you that indefinitely means it's one thing until it isn't since you seemed confused on what it meant. I asked the question to see if there was any more details on it.

According to Lance Hornby of the National Post today.

"The Murray announcement came at 12 noon, the hour many expected he’d be placed on waivers if it was Toronto’s intention to buy out the final year of his contract by Friday afternoon."

So as Treliving was preparing to put Murray on waivers and insiders and reporters watching the waiver wire, at the last minute suddenly Murray is out indefinitely.. when

May 9, 2023​

Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs Matt Murray is cleared to play.

That suggests as late as this afternoon, Leafs GM wasn't even aware of any Murray injury, because you can't buyout an injured player as per CBA, & now people are suggesting he is gone for the entire season.

He also mentions "The league reserves the right to have an independent doctor make a medical determination in LTIR cases at some point in the event they deem it appropriate or necessary".

Sounds like there is going to be far more to the story coming and unknown & indefinitely is only the current situation which appears a last minute buyout monkey-wrench tossed into today's waiver wire proceedings so Murray can save himself over $2.5 mil in lost wages on his $8 mil expected salary.

PS. Murray was on LTIR 3 X last year by the Leafs for various injuries (meaning missing 10 games or 26 days) and was even more with Ottawa 4 X times the year prior and obviously not out for the full season any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOne

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need to clear $500k to be cap compliant. More moves to come for sure. I think the Leafs are going to address the defense and get younger and cheaper.

1690428978619.png

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isn't exactly rocket science is it.

Guess team wasn't sunk ... Murray's as healthy with Treliving as he would have been with Dubas.
Before Dubas was fired

Nick Kypreos of the Toronto Star

Dubas acquired Murray for the Toronto Maple Leafs over the previous off-season and wanted to give him a respectful push as a starting goalie.

Injuries got in the way and sidelined Murray for all but 26 games in 2022-23; he went 14-8-2 in those contests with a 3.01 goals against average and .903 save percentage.

Kypreos states that Dubas wanted Murray to stay in Toronto to finish his contract which earns him a total of $6.25 million; thanks to retained salary,

Kyle was ready to run back the Samsonov & Murray duo for 2023-24.

Back in May, Murray spoke to the media in the exit interviews and claimed he was healthy and ready to go in 2023-24.

“My goal is to maintain the kind of level that I was playing in November and December and maintain that all season,” Murray said. “If I can do that, we’ll be in good shape.”

Neither Leafs former GM nor Matt Murray himself knew he was injured & going to go in LTIR and perhaps miss the entire season.

Last edited:

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Robertson on team. Holmberg , Gambrell sent down. 21 man roster. 493k over cap. Not sure where all these other numbers coming from. A Timmins trade they are compliant

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Maple Leafs accused of sham in salary-cap scandal!​

Trouble in Toronto…​

1690431846782.png

The news was quite shocking because there were never any rumours or reports indicating that the goaltender was injured once again. He was technically available when Ilya Samsonov went down in the Florida series but was never used, with Joseph Woll taking over starting duties with the series on the line. Murray was present on the bench, in case another injury had struck, preventing Woll from playing.

The funny thing is that Murray served as backup in the team’s second-round playoff series against the Florida Panthers. However, he is now reportedly out indefinitely, though the Maple Leafs did not provide details on the injury.

Hence the start of a scandal in Toronto as many believe the Maple Leafs are pulling a sham to get more space on the salary cap. When the team made the announcement on Murray ending up on the LTIR, it did not take long for fans and pundits to question the move.

Back in May, Murray spoke to the media in the exit interviews and claimed he was healthy and ready to go in 2023-24.

“My goal is to maintain the kind of level that I was playing in November and December and maintain that all season,” Murray said. “If I can do that, we’ll be in good shape.”

1690431644223.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Trouble in Toronto…​

View attachment 731612

The news was quite shocking because there were never any rumours or reports indicating that the goaltender was injured once again. He was technically available when Ilya Samsonov went down in the Florida series but was never used, with Joseph Woll taking over starting duties with the series on the line. Murray was present on the bench, in case another injury had struck, preventing Woll from playing.

The funny thing is that Murray served as backup in the team’s second-round playoff series against the Florida Panthers. However, he is now reportedly out indefinitely, though the Maple Leafs did not provide details on the injury.

Hence the start of a scandal in Toronto as many believe the Maple Leafs are pulling a sham to get more space on the salary cap. When the team made the announcement on Murray ending up on the LTIR, it did not take long for fans and pundits to question the move.

View attachment 731610

What a pointless take from Howard Berger, as if a punitive salary cap system is a good way to build an entertainment product.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Trouble in Toronto…​

View attachment 731612

View attachment 731610

It’s really important for you that this becomes a controversy huh? Do you ever stop and think about how sad that is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad