Confirmed with Link: G Jeremy Smith signed 1 year two-way deal for $600,000

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
One Smith out, another in. Good numbers in AHL, deserves a shot in the big leagues.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I guess they figure he can be the backup. Maybe they bring a vet on a tryout contract closer to camp to provide a little competition. (Emery? Budaj? Labarbera?)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good deal.

I would have liked to see someone with NHL experience but I think this means they're going to see if the kids can challenge. The job is Smith's to lose but a two way deal means they can be flexible if someone else has a great camp.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Smith outplayed Subban last year in AHL and is reliable in goal. Worth keeping around for that deal.

mjs14

Jun 30, 2015
Woburn MA
I feel so relieved now that these moves have been made .. Spooner 2+ ext, hayes, rinaldo as an agitator tough guy, beleskey.. now my only focus is on D

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Relying on the last P Bruin to give Rask a breather really didn't work out too well. Admittedly, I don't watch many Providence games at all. For those that do, do you think Smith a decent upgrade over Svedberg?

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Let's hope Smith is better than Svedberg. We can't afford to run Tuukka into the ground again.

And if he isn't up to snuff? Let's hope Sweeney is smart enough to go out and get a veteran backup (unlike what Chiarelli didn't do last season, when Rask would play 20+ games straight and Sveddy wasn't reliable enough).

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Relying on the last P Bruin to give Rask a breather really didn't work out too well. Admittedly, I don't watch many Providence games at all. For those that do, do you think Smith a decent upgrade over Svedberg?

The previous two did. I think Svedberg just wasn't ready for the NHL. Who knows if Smith is but for 600k, I am fine with seeing him get the try. A Backup should be available whenever we run into trouble. Regardless what you think of the deals, Sweeney is obviously not scared of trades.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While I would much rather the B's signed somebody more experienced for Tuukka's back-up, the pickings for even NHL experienced back-ups was starting to look pretty thin by 6 PM eastern on July 1st.

Having Smith battle the kids in camp is a decent fall-back and it's likely his job too lose. Another miscalculation by Chiarelli not getting Smith a game or two last year to see what he could do, maybe even replace Svedberg mid-season once it was clear Claude had lost faith in him.

I know this much, if neither of the two kids look ready at training camp (and I would be surprised if either did) and Smith falters in Oct/Nov., Sweeney won't hesitate to make a move and find a better back-up.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
still think they bring in another cheap backup, he isn't proven.. Gives Subban/Zane competition and hopefully competition between another goalie they bring in for Rask

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Not sure why we think this makes him the earmarked #2. McIntyre and Subban will fight it out for that spot. Smith is an excellent AHL goalie and worthy of a contract slot, but he will not beat out the kids.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Not sure why we think this makes him the earmarked #2. McIntyre and Subban will fight it out for that spot. Smith is an excellent AHL goalie and worthy of a contract slot, but he will not beat out the kids.

Disagree, Subban needs more time in the AHL and it's a little optimistic to think McIntyre can make the jump right to the NHL,don't you think it's in their best interest to play in Providence rather than sit in Boston?

Which leads me to ask this general question, when was the last NCAA goalie to jump to the NHL and last the full year as a rookie with no time in the AHL?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
IIRC, Smith didn't look particularly NHL-ready at the beginning of last year during the preseason games (the only time I've seen him play). But that's based on a very small sample size - 67 minutes and change in 3 of the 6 games where stats were recorded, with a 0.921 SV% - which, in retrospect, is pretty good (although you'd have to downgrade that for only playing about one period per game).

Wondering if my memory was bad, I found this from the preseason:

[NHL]2014010070-723-h
[/NHL]

I'm no goalie expert, but to me, that looks fairly soft. Also, note the score. Note the time.

All that said, looking at his numbers from Providence last year, he could be ready. He had his best year ever, and I'm gradually trusting Sweeney more and more with these decisions. I wouldn't mind upgrading the backup and/or getting some more competition in camp, but it's not a huge priority. I'm pretty sure Subban's not ready for the call. And I doubt McIntyre is.

Then again, according to board wisdom, I'm a horrible goalie judge. I actually thought Johnson was pretty damn good for us in 13-14, and was shocked when he took a nosedive with the Isles. Svedberg always made me poop my pants - he had that Jonathan Quick "athleticism" without the actual ability to make the save.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You never know how a guy will handle being the backup, especially to a guy play 60 plus games a year so let's just go with it. I like Smith being around.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
IIRC, Smith didn't look particularly NHL-ready at the beginning of last year during the preseason games (the only time I've seen him play). But that's based on a very small sample size - 67 minutes and change in 3 of the 6 games where stats were recorded, with a 0.921 SV% - which, in retrospect, is pretty good (although you'd have to downgrade that for only playing about one period per game).

Wondering if my memory was bad, I found this from the preseason:

[NHL]2014010070-723-h
[/NHL]

I'm no goalie expert, but to me, that looks fairly soft. Also, note the score. Note the time.

All that said, looking at his numbers from Providence last year, he could be ready. He had his best year ever, and I'm gradually trusting Sweeney more and more with these decisions. I wouldn't mind upgrading the backup and/or getting some more competition in camp, but it's not a huge priority. I'm pretty sure Subban's not ready for the call. And I doubt McIntyre is.

Then again, according to board wisdom, I'm a horrible goalie judge. I actually thought Johnson was pretty damn good for us in 13-14, and was shocked when he took a nosedive with the Isles. Svedberg always made me poop my pants - he had that Jonathan Quick "athleticism" without the actual ability to make the save.
Your memory is bad. He was fantastic in pre season. To me, he outplayed Svedberg but no way they could give him back up role with svedberg on 1 way deal. Sweeny played it smart this time around with a two way deal leaving more options open. Pretty clear he deserves a shot based on his play last season.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
My wish list includes anther D-man. Ensures Krug is in the 5/6 role and playing most of the PP. Clode enough of the splitting the PP time Krug is your guy at that left point. Anyone hear anything else on the Yandle rumor?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad