G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Freidman today saying he thinks Sorokin is trying to force a trade.

This is interesting because wasn't one of the reasons that NYI let a Vezina candidate, Lehner, walk in the offseason and instead signed Varlamov, because they wanted/hope that Varly would attract Sorokin to the NHL and mentor him for a few seasons?

NYRfan

Nov 26, 2016
This is interesting because wasn't one of the reasons that NYI let a Vezina candidate, Lehner, walk in the offseason and instead signed Varlamov, because they wanted/hope that Varly would attract Sorokin to the NHL and mentor him for a few seasons?

Yup. Also I believe they both have the same agent, which I’m sure played into that decision as well.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Force a trade from NYI or his KHL team?
Islanders. Doesn't think he has a path to the NHL with them according to what Friedman put out.
A couple of my Russian contacts reached out after last week’s note about Islanders goaltending prospect Ilya Sorokin — who is considering an extension in the KHL. They think he’s trying to force a trade from New York to someplace with a clearer path to start. There would be interest — he’s very talented. We’ll see where this goes.

Reactions: d rake

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Islanders. Doesn't think he has a path to the NHL with them according to what Friedman put out.
Any team that were to acquire him would certainly get a veteran backup just in case he doesn't deliver.

Just a matter of whether Lou can convince him that he'll get a shot. Right now, Greiss and Varly are almost splitting the net. If that continues, that can be Lou's selling point. Varly isn't a 55-60 game starter. You're going to get 35 or so games in year 1. Better you play, the more games you get.

Not afraid to move off Varly's contract is need be. But, I need to see if you are a legit #1 before I do that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly, it doesn't make sense from Sorokin's perspective. He has a perfect situation set up for him.

The only way it would make sense is if Isles tried to lowball him with their offer. Doesn't Loui have a rule he doesn't give money to rookies which evidently hindered negotiations with Matthews as well? The only explanation I can think of. If he was offered 925k contract when he can earn at least 3 mil tax-free with CSKA some feelings might have gotten hurt.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If true, I think MN could be a good destination. They need that goalie of the future and already have teammate Kirill Kaprizov coming over next year

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Bizarre if that is truly his camps perspective. He has about as clear of a path as you possibly could, Greiss is on an expiring contract and Varlamov cannot carry a team.

That's not considering other variables such as a brand spanking new arena , best coach in the game and stingiest D in Hockey in front of him... If this is not appealing to Sorokin, then there is something else not being disclosed to us.

The starting job is up for grabs come Summer 2020, does he truly want it?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Honestly, it doesn't make sense from Sorokin's perspective. He has a perfect situation set up for him.

The only way it would make sense is if Isles tried to lowball him with their offer. Doesn't Loui have a rule he doesn't give money to rookies which evidently hindered negotiations with Matthews as well? The only explanation I can think of. If he was offered 925k contract when he can earn at least 3 mil tax-free with CSKA some feelings might have gotten hurt.
It was Marner that Lou wouldn't give the A performance bonuses to. Think Matthews's got them.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Why would Lou trade Sorokin?

I think Lou would rather let Sorokin play his career in the KHL vs get a 'meh' return in a trade for a starting goalie.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why would Lou trade Sorokin?

I think Lou would rather let Sorokin play his career in the KHL vs get a 'meh' return in a trade for a starting goalie.

I don't think he needs to stay there for much longer to become UFA. Is it two years?

Not a good situation for the Isles. I don't think the return is going to be very good as he has zero NHL games so far, and goalies usually take a while to adjust to NA. Some goalies never do.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why would a young goalie not want to be on a Trotz coached team? It’s the perfect situation and sets a goalie up for success. Add in Korn and it just doesn’t get much better.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think he needs to stay there for much longer to become UFA. Is it two years?

Not a good situation for the Isles. I don't think the return is going to be very good as he has zero NHL games so far, and goalies usually take a while to adjust to NA. Some goalies never do.

Which is why IMO its stay with the Isles or find your own way to the NHL.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

No transfer agreement with the KHL so he's either an Islander or plays in the KHL. Not sure how he could force a trade.

Still not a good situation for the Isles but for Ilya, if he wants to play in the NHL it's a worse situation to be in.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
If true, I think MN could be a good destination. They need that goalie of the future and already have teammate Kirill Kaprizov coming over next year
Why would the Isles trade him to Minnesota for anything less than Kaprizov though?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No transfer agreement with the KHL so he's either an Islander or plays in the KHL. Not sure how he could force a trade.

Still not a good situation for the Isles but for Ilya, if he wants to play in the NHL it's a worse situation to be in.

By telling them he's not going to sign with them? Of course it means he'd potentially have to be ready to stay in the KHL, but i'd want my GM to trade a guy who doesn't want to come there rather than lose him for free.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Why would a young goalie not want to be on a Trotz coached team? It’s the perfect situation and sets a goalie up for success. Add in Korn and it just doesn’t get much better.

It doesn't get much better if he's okay being a backup for 3-4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad