Confirmed with Link: G Ilya Samsonov heads to arbitration (Awarded 1 year, $3.55M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Samsonov's salary ask from Leafs in arbitration revealed​

The now 26-year-old was given a qualifying offer by the Leafs this summer and has expressed an interest in signing a new deal in Toronto. Samsonov feels like he's finally found a good fit and enjoys life in Toronto and doesn't appear to be phased by the sometimes volatile market.

Samsonov elected to file for salary arbitration this week, which was (presumably) to help the Leafs open up a 2nd buyout window. As it turns out, the arbitration filing may actually be a legitimate one, with the team and player perhaps further apart than any of us would have hoped.

Today on Sportsnet 590's The FAN's The Morning Show, hosts Ailish Forfar and Justin Cuthbert revealed what Samsonov's ask in his arbitration case was. Samsonov is reportedly seeking an AAV between $4M and $5M. His qualifying offer comes in at a little over $2M. No word yet on what the Leafs might be offering in the arb case.

Huh? The $4M-$5M is what Samsonov is seeking in a long term deal that would buy out a number of his free agent years. That may or may not be what he would be asking for in a 1 year arbitration award for his last RFA year.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Huh? The $4M-$5M is what Samsonov is seeking in a long term deal that would buy out a number of his free agent years. That may or may not be what he would be asking for in a 1 year arbitration award for his last RFA year.

haha there’s a lot of comparables in this thread to guys that aren’t comparable to Samsonov at all 😂 Love leaf fans!

Sammy should get a 1 or 2 year deal at $3.25 to $3.75 depending on if he gets to arbitration or if they settle before a hearing.

The question is, do the Leafs get the 2nd buyout due to Sammy filing for arb or does a settlement have to be reached officially through arbitration for them to get this option. That Murray contract situation may force them to follow through with the arbitration.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
haha there’s a lot of comparables in this thread to guys that aren’t comparable to Samsonov at all 😂 Love leaf fans!

Sammy should get a 1 or 2 year deal at $3.25 to $3.75 depending on if he gets to arbitration or if they settle before a hearing.

The question is, do the Leafs get the 2nd buyout due to Sammy filing for arb or does a settlement have to be reached officially through arbitration for them to get this option. That Murray contract situation may force them to follow through with the arbitration.
Toronto gets the second buyout window if he goes to arbitration or not. As long as we don’t trade him before he signs or goes through the arbitration process.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Actually as per CBA rules (IIRC) now that Sammy has filed for Arbitration the Leafs can no longer deal him away.

- Leafs options are come to contract terms prior to the hearing and the award.
- Accept the Arbitration award and then make other roster changes to become Cup complaint.
- Walk away from the Arb reward if it is too high, making Sammy a UFA immediately, and Leafs go with Woll and Murray as their goalies next year.

Players on arbitration can be traded before or after the arbitration decision. Both have happened in the past.

You‘re likely thinking of offer sheet players not being tradeble.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

July 20
Philipp Kurashev (Chicago Blackhawks)
Brandon Duhaime (Minnesota Wild)
Alexei Toropchenko (St. Louis Blues)
*Noah Cates (Philadelphia Flyers)

July 21
Ilya Samsonov (Toronto Maple Leafs)

July 24

Brett Howden (Vegas Golden Knights)
Vince Dunn (Seattle Kraken)
Tanner Jeannot (Tampa Bay Lightning)

July 26
Ian Mitchell (Boston Bruins)
*Will Borgen (Seattle Kraken)

July 27
Ross Colton (Colorado Avalanche)

July 28
Gabriel Vilardi (Winnipeg Jets)
*Cale Fleury (Seattle Kraken)

July 30
Jeremy Swayman (Boston Bruins)
Jack McBain (Arizona Coyotes)

July 31
Alex DeBrincat (Detroit Red Wings)

August 1
Trent Frederic (Boston Bruins)

August 2
Morgan Barron (Winnipeg Jets)
Troy Terry (Anaheim Ducks)

August 4
Ryan McLeod (Edmonton Oilers)
Brandon Scanlin (New York Rangers)
Filip Gustavsson (Minnesota Wild)
Drew O'Connor (Pittsburgh Penguins)

*Settled at time of publishing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sports Illustrated's David Alter appeared on TSN 1050's Game Play on Monday to discuss the Leafs/Samsonov situtation. Alter mentioned a few comparables that the Leafs and Samsonov could look at to help them on their quest to lock up the RFA goaltender. Alter revealed three goaltenders who signed new deals coming out of restricted free agency whom he feels that the Samsonov camp could use as examples.

Those 3 goalies are Jake Oettinger ($4M AAV), Juuse Saros ($5M AAV) and, on the low end, Alexandar Georgiev ($3.6M AAV).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He filed and the leafs can elect 1 year or 2 year term.1 Year seems the most plausible and the largest arbitration awarded in the last few years was Zadorov at 3.7.
I'm guessing 3.5

Sammy is only 1 year out from UFA so any award will be automatically 1 year max.

Reactions: Buds17

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They are going to trade one of Murray or Sammy once signed .. Leafs are a CAP team and $2M next year they can't deal with that hit .. lets hope Tree can trade Murray without a CAP hit otherwise if no takers then flip Sammy for a 2024 1st rounder .. Woll will play most of games anyways .. Murray can play when healthy .. if he sucks oh well he is gone next summer so no big deal

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They are going to trade one of Murray or Sammy once signed .. Leafs are a CAP team and $2M next year they can't deal with that hit .. lets hope Tree can trade Murray without a CAP hit otherwise if no takers then flip Sammy for a 2024 1st rounder .. Woll will play most of games anyways .. Murray can play when healthy .. if he sucks oh well he is gone next summer so no big deal

What about this option of a runour going around.

Carter Hart lands with Maple Leafs in latest trade proposal​

Would this be a wise move?

1689184263281.png

Right now, Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender Ilya Samsonov has decided to file for salary arbitration after enjoying a strong first year with the Maple Leafs.

Meanwhile, goaltender Carter Hart was once looked at as the long-awaited solution in net for the Philadelphia Flyers, though that scenario hasn't played out the way that either side has hoped.

Could a change of scenery be in order for both of them?

1689184355351.png

Hart's name has been involved in trade rumors for some time now, as a new destination could be to the benefit of both sides. He's also entering the final season of his current contract that sees him earn an AAV of $3,979,000.

PS. I think it would take more than that to land Hart but the thought of dealing RFA Sammy + pick and prospect might be a 3rd option for Leafs to go.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d take Hart over Samsonov any day. The price would likely be more to acquire though and I don’t see it actually happening.

I think the Leafs and Samsonov would be smart to agree on a two year deal. Ideally around 3.5 million per.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I’d take Hart over Samsonov any day. The price would likely be more to acquire though and I don’t see it actually happening.

I think the Leafs and Samsonov would be smart to agree on a two year deal. Ideally around 3.5 million per.
I agree on both accounts.

How about solving both our goalie problems at the same time..

My proposal is Sammy RFA rights + 1st round pick + Nic Robertson + Matt Murray to Philly for Carter Hart.

Because Sammy is in the arbitration process it opens a buyout window for Philly and then they buyout Matt Murray and take the dead cap space hit instead of the Leafs.

The cap space the Leafs recovered from trading Murray $4.687 mil covers Cart Hart's current contract @ $3,979,000 (1 year left) and then RFA .. Then Leafs can work on an extension with Hart.

So how much would it cost in assets to get someone else to take the Murray contract and acquire Carter Hart at the same time to make him the Leafs goalie of the future. A rebuilding team like Philly would want some young assets and pick(s) and could take next year's $2.0 dead cap space from a buyout,

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

My proposal is Sammy RFA rights + 1st round pick + Nic Robertson + Matt Murray to Philly for Carter Hart.

Because Sammy is in the arbitration process it opens a buyout window for Philly and then they buyout Matt Murray and take the dead cap space hit instead of the Leafs.

The cap space the Leafs recovered from trading Murray $4.687 mil covers Cart Hart's current contract @ $3,979,000 (1 year left) and then RFA .. Then Leafs can work on an extension with Hart.

So how much would it cost in assets to get someone else to take the Murray contract and acquire Carter Hart at the same time to make him the Leafs goalie of the future. A rebuilding team like Philly would want some young assets and pick(s) and could take next year's $2.0 dead cap space from a buyout,

That is one of the worst trade proposals I’ve seen in a while. What the hell has Carter Hart done in his career to warrant a first round pick. Hart is very overrated. Wouldn’t mind him but we don’t need to be paying an arm and leg for him. He hasn’t proven anything at the NHL level.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

I think the 1st rounder in that proposal is overkill. Robertson should be enough of a sweetener.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be interested in Hart, but not at a ransom price. I don't mind Mess's price... though I'd rather not move the 1st AND Robertson...

Reactions: TMLAM34

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Idear is very good Mess to get around CAP hit next year but we can't be giving away 1st rounders .. but like da creativity

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
What about this option of a runour going around.

Carter Hart lands with Maple Leafs in latest trade proposal​

Would this be a wise move?

View attachment 728316

Right now, Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender Ilya Samsonov has decided to file for salary arbitration after enjoying a strong first year with the Maple Leafs.

Meanwhile, goaltender Carter Hart was once looked at as the long-awaited solution in net for the Philadelphia Flyers, though that scenario hasn't played out the way that either side has hoped.

Could a change of scenery be in order for both of them?

View attachment 728317

Hart's name has been involved in trade rumors for some time now, as a new destination could be to the benefit of both sides. He's also entering the final season of his current contract that sees him earn an AAV of $3,979,000.

PS. I think it would take more than that to land Hart but the thought of dealing RFA Sammy + pick and prospect might be a 3rd option for Leafs to go.
I'd go another direction
Hart & Ristolainen & Tippet
Samsonov & Nylander & Brodie
take the full cap hit on Ritso who adds size/toughness and an up and comer in Tippet

we also save $$ about 10.6 in vs 11.9 + Samsonov's cap hit out

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I’ve read people say in arbitration they will settle for this or that. But as far as I’m aware the arbitrator doesn’t pick a number both sides give a number and he picks one or the other so if the leafs put 3 million and Sammy puts in 4 the arbitrator doesn’t come back and say 3.25. He picks either the leafs 3 million or Sammy’s 4 mill

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I’ve read people say in arbitration they will settle for this or that. But as far as I’m aware the arbitrator doesn’t pick a number both sides give a number and he picks one or the other so if the leafs put 3 million and Sammy puts in 4 the arbitrator doesn’t come back and say 3.25. He picks either the leafs 3 million or Sammy’s 4 mill

That's the way it works in baseball. I'm not certain but I think the arbitrator can pick an inbetween number in hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad