Confirmed with Link: G Ilya Samsonov heads to arbitration (Awarded 1 year, $3.55M)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He gave up a first round pick not to mention his cap hit was a million less.
He gave up 13 draft slots, and while the cap hit was just under 900k less, there were also 2 years and more money remaining.
That would have been a much better option than a buyout.

Reactions: kb

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
He gave up 13 draft slots, and while the cap hit was just under 900k less, there were also 2 years and more money remaining.
That would have been a much better option than a buyout.

The only thing that matters in the nhl is cap hit. Obviously you're too biased to understand that.

He gave up a first no matter what way you want to spin it. He was the King at giving up firsts for no reason it partially why we had1 of his draft picks playing for on the playoff roster 4 years into his GM career

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The only thing that matters in the nhl is cap hit. Obviously you're too biased to understand that.

He gave up a first no matter what way you want to spin it. He was the King at giving up firsts for no reason it partially why we had1 of his draft picks playing for on the playoff roster 4 years into his GM career
That's the other poster, it's easy to get them mixed up. :laugh:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

TSN Hockey Analyst and former NHL goalie Martin Biron was on SportsCentre last night and was asked about the large gap between the Leafs and Samsonov's filings and where believes the two will settle.

"I don't think you can meet in the middle at $3.675M. I think you have to start at $4M at the very least for Ilya Samsonov," said Biron. "There's 26 active NHL goaltenders that are going to make over $4M next year. Ilya Samsonov is better than probably half of those guys. He was 8th in the league last year in goals saved above expected per game."

This is the kind of expert analysis we've come to expect with TSN.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The only thing that matters in the nhl is cap hit.
That's not only not true, but Mrazek's contract carried more remaining charge against the cap anyway. There was 7.6m in remaining cap hit, spread out over 2 years, compared to 4.68m for Murray. I'm not sure how one could think that remaining term means nothing. If we're going to move on from Murray, I would have much preferred dropping 13 spots in the draft than have cap charges from a buyout. Heck, even in this hypothetical where cap hit is all that mattered, retaining 880k and dropping 13 draft slots would have been better.
He gave up a first
And he got back an early 2nd, 13 draft slots lower.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Welp seems like they ramrodded him into the LTIR

Massive win for the leafs

Still 2 mill ( and a little over with 20 players) over so I assume we have more work to do.

Lafferty, Timmins, jarnkrok and possibly Brodie ( if we can find someone to do his job) are ones that might be pieces they're looking to move I would guess

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He gave up a first round pick not to mention his cap hit was a million less. Shouldn't you be on the pens board anyways.

You're still on here celebrating every move that a GM who won nothing then left after trying to get his salary offer doubled.

Obviously don't actually care about the team
Oh you mean the 13 positions that the Leafs dropped to move Mrazek with more term and actual moneys owed?

How about telling the whole truth, and not your fantasy version. So odd how the takes are on the premise that the whole world forgot what happened just last season. Traded pick #25 and Mrazek for pick #38.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Oh you mean the 13 positions that the Leafs dropped to move Mrazek with more term and actual moneys owed?

How about telling the whole truth, and not your fantasy version. So odd how the takes are on the premise that the whole world forgot what happened just last season. Traded pick #25 and Mrazek for pick #38.

We traded a first for less cap space then aquired a third to take up more cap space.

Even by your spin Dubas took a massive L on this because he didn't get the same value that he gave up while taking on a worse contract with more real money owed in the final year. Not to mention with Murray he was negotiating with all the leverage

Dude goy body bagged repeatedly it's ok to admit it.

Reactions: capfit9 and IPS

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Welp seems like they ramrodded him into the LTIR

Massive win for the leafs

Still 2 mill ( and a little over with 20 players) over so I assume we have more work to do.

Lafferty, Timmins, jarnkrok and possibly Brodie ( if we can find someone to do his job) are ones that might be pieces they're looking to move I would guess

Or they could move 0 of those pieces and send Robertson, Gambrell and Holmberg to the AHL

It blows my mind that there are still a few fans defending a GM that managed basically nothing and only 1 round win in his 5 years

No fans are doing that, the people doing that are ass kissers

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Samsonov 3.55m for 1 year and Gustavsson at 3.75m for 3 years.

Massive L for Treliving/Shanahan.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not really, it’s a pretty big gamble on Minnesota’s end. Gustavsson’s record aside from last season is very mediocre in the AHL and NHL.
Same as Samsonov. Rather have Gustavssons deal than Sammy's right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Same as Samsonov. Rather have Gustavssons deal that Sammy's right now.
Bigger risk and reward associated with Gustavsson's contract. While he could very well maintain or improve upon last season's performance, he'll still be competing with MAF for playing time during the first season of that deal. Woll has the less certain present but possibly brighter future in comparison as a secondary option in goal.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Will Ilya Samsonov be bitter after arbitration?

As for Samsonov, while I was a little surprised the case reached arbitration, the number they ended up landing on — $3.55 million for one year — was totally reasonable.

The Leafs didn’t need to go through a full arbitration hearing in order to activate the second buyout window, so we can throw that out as a theory for why they went through with it. But I suspect they wanted to get his number a little lower than $3.55 million to give them some more cap wiggle room, as you’ll see in my calculations further down in this post.

The one downside to having an arbitration hearing in order to try and squeeze a key player, like your starting goalie, is the cases can create bad blood between player and team.

I talked to some folks who were involved in the Samsonov process, and they spoke highly of how Treliving handled the situation as a new GM coming in who doesn’t have a relationship with the player.

There was “nothing out of bounds,” said a source with knowledge of how the arbitration hearing went. “And Brad is very professional.”

Both sides, to my understanding, were fine with the ultimate award.

What prevented the Leafs from getting a longer-term deal done? Well, every year beyond the first one was going to be a UFA season for Samsonov. And given he’s coming off a big year, and will be the Leafs No. 1 to start 2023-24, those UFA years could get expensive.

The Leafs were likely looking at a $4.25 million cap hit on a two-year deal, $4.5 million on a three-year deal, and numbers that went up from there the longer the contract was.

All this for a goaltender who has started just 119 regular-season games.

As a result, short term makes a lot of sense. But if Samsonov has another season like last year, his cap hit is going to start with a five the next time around.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Will Ilya Samsonov be bitter after arbitration?

As for Samsonov, while I was a little surprised the case reached arbitration, the number they ended up landing on — $3.55 million for one year — was totally reasonable.

The Leafs didn’t need to go through a full arbitration hearing in order to activate the second buyout window, so we can throw that out as a theory for why they went through with it. But I suspect they wanted to get his number a little lower than $3.55 million to give them some more cap wiggle room, as you’ll see in my calculations further down in this post.

All this for a goaltender who has started just 119 regular-season games.

As a result, short term makes a lot of sense. But if Samsonov has another season like last year, his cap hit is going to start with a five the next time around.

For comparison

Swayman, 24, finished his second full NHL season with a 24-6-4 record with a .920 save percentage and 2.27 goals-against average while sharing the net with 2023 Vezina Trophy winner Linus Ullmark. The duo shared the William M. Jennings Trophy after allowing a league-low 177 goals against in 2022-2023.

#NHLBruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman awarded one-year contract worth $3.475 million.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
For comparison

Swayman, 24, finished his second full NHL season with a 24-6-4 record with a .920 save percentage and 2.27 goals-against average while sharing the net with 2023 Vezina Trophy winner Linus Ullmark. The duo shared the William M. Jennings Trophy after allowing a league-low 177 goals against in 2022-2023.

f*** off. How does a Jennings winner get less than Sammy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad