G Ilya Nabokov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2021 undrafted)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I hope he has the play of Evgeni Nabokov and the personality of Ilya Bryzgalov. I mention those two names because I conflated the two and confused myself.

• Haha
Reactions: SimGrindcore

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As we get closer to the NHL's draft, and Nabokov continues his impressive year, where do people think he'll get picked?

If he were more of a prototypical NHL height, I'd imagine there'd be more interest. Mikko Koskinen (6'7), Magnus Hellberg (6'5), and Pyotr Kochetkov (6'3) nearly the cracked the first round of their respective drafts as 3rd/4th time eligibles.

I know it's unfair to compare stats, but I'm reminded of Edmonton taking Igor Konovalov in the 3rd round in 2019. Konovalov was about the same size as Nabokov and posted similar KHL numbers prior to being drafted.

Columbus took Veini Vehvilainen in the 6th round in 2018 (his 4th and final time being eligible).

TL;DR - Your guess is as good as mine.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Was a discussion of the Devils' organizations seeming disdain for Russia prospects in the Gritsyuk thread.
Russian goalies? may be. Devils are drafting russian ~every year. And I hope they will continue and will do it even more. Because Browns, Hausers and Hurtigs dont look like players even with NHL potential.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Russian goalies? may be. Devils are drafting russian ~every year. And I hope they will continue and will do it even more. Because Browns, Hausers and Hurtigs dont look like players even with NHL potential.

They have thrown a handful of picks at MHL-trained players through the last decade. Of those players most have been either traded or never signed in the first place.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They have thrown a handful of picks at MHL-trained players through the last decade. Of those players most have been either traded or never signed in the first place.

Bardakov, Mukhamadullin, Sharangovich and Zaitsev were all drafted out of the KHL since 2017. Trades happen.

The Devils have never drafted a Russian goalie, which is odd (and annoying), and what @Guadana was referring to in his original post.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Bardakov, Mukhamadullin, Sharangovich and Zaitsev were all drafted out of the KHL since 2017. Trades happen.

The Devils have never drafted a Russian goalie, which is odd (and annoying), and what @Guadana was referring to in his original post.

I believe its normal proportion for late round picks.

It would be better for Devils organisation to stop wasting their middle picks and invest them in more talented players when they are available. And not waiting for 6-7 rounds.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
our female golden could have been a show dog. She has the build and coat the goldens have in the dog show. Our male would never make it. He's built awkwardly.
Nabokov is like a child of your female golden and male version of your female golden. He is very talented and very capable, but as we know, close marriages negatively affect growth. He is 6'0. Practically a Chihuahua by the standards of modern golden goalies.

Reactions: My3Sons

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Stopped 32 shots for a shutout win in today's game of the KHL finals, that's 52 out of 53 shots during the first two games of the series.

He almost didn't get the shutout because Lokomotiv scored with the goalie pulled with about 10 seconds left in the game - BUT - the play was reviewed and it was determined there was a hand pass in the sequence leading up to the goal so the goal was overturned and Magnitka held on for the 1-0 win.

Kind of a cheesy call but so was a Magnitka goal that was overturned earlier in the game when it was determined the play was offside by about 3/4 of an inch on a play that had nothing to do with the goal being scored. So - poetic justice.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is he draft eligible?

Yup, fourth and final time for Nabokov (March 2003). He was first available in 2021.

North American (trained - played one full season in NA)
January 1 - September 15: draft eligible three times - example Tanner Pearson (August 1992), undrafted 2010-11, drafted 2012.

September 16 - December 31: draft eligible twice - example Brenden Dillon (November 1990), undrafted 2009-10, signed as free agent March 2011.

European
January 1 - September 15: draft eligible four times - example Mikko Koskinen (July 1988), undrafted 2006-08, drafted 2009.

September 16 - December 31: draft eligible three times - example Sergei Bobrovsky (September 20, 1988) - undrafted 2007-09, signed as free agent May 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad