G Ilya Nabokov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2021 undrafted)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Goalie Ilya Nabokov has always been named among the top 2003 year born goalies, but is still undrafted due to lack of size (6'0.5") and exposure. However this season he is doing some notable things in the KHL, even already made a shutout win two days ago (stopped 29 shots), so I decided to make a thread about him.

P.S.: No, he is not related to the former NHLers that have the same surname.

Some highlights:

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I believe as an '03 born player he is still eligible for the 2024 NHL Draft.

Do you see a team taking a shot drafting him?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting that both Nabokov and 35-year-old Alexander Sudnitsin have slightly better numbers than starter and former Calgary Flame Artem Zagidulin. Is that relevant or just a case of them drawing starts against the weaker opponents?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I believe as an '03 born player he is still eligible for the 2024 NHL Draft.

Do you see a team taking a shot drafting him?
I think it is impossible to predict the draft chances for undersized goalies, not to mention that Nabokov himself, while looking promising, hasn't proven much yet.

Interesting that both Nabokov and 35-year-old Alexander Sudnitsin have slightly better numbers than starter and former Calgary Flame Artem Zagidulin. Is that relevant or just a case of them drawing starts against the weaker opponents?
It is just Zagidulin being bad.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He's been super impressive this year. I'm sure he'll get a look. I'd throw a 7th round pick at him at least if he keeps playing the way he is.

Reactions: Firsov99

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Statistically speaking he's having quite the season. I'm not as familiar with historic KHL goalie stats for those around his age, I'm guessing there can't be many comparables?

For those who've watched him - hows he look?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Statistically speaking he's having quite the season. I'm not as familiar with historic KHL goalie stats for those around his age, I'm guessing there can't be many comparables?

For those who've watched him - hows he look?
Historically there just haven't been a lot of KHL starters at that age, especially since it would be good to compare with similar undersized goalies. Ilya Konovalov could be a comparable as back in 2019 he was in the similar situation, he looked better and posted much better numbers than Nabokov, but the defense in front of him was also much better.

With all that being said Nabokov looks legit in general, but still there are some games from time to time when he looks sort of shaky. Not like it would be surprising for a young goalie, but the bar is always higher for the undersized ones. Will be really interesting to see how he'll look in the playoffs.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Historically there just haven't been a lot of KHL starters at that age, especially since it would be good to compare with similar undersized goalies. Ilya Konovalov could be a comparable as back in 2019 he was in the similar situation, he looked better and posted much better numbers than Nabokov, but the defense in front of him was also much better.

With all that being said Nabokov looks legit in general, but still there are some games from time to time when he looks sort of shaky. Not like it would be surprising for a young goalie, but the bar is always higher for the undersized ones. Will be really interesting to see how he'll look in the playoffs.

I guess recently the comparable that comes to mind is Nashville's Juuse Saros.

Any similarities/differences?

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Feels like the Sharks need to take a chance on this guy late in the draft if possible. Haven’t had a goalie prospect work out in some time and if any goalie will succeed in San Jose it’s a Nabokov lol.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I'm not sure, I didn't follow Saros that much at that age, but I'm sort of not sure if comparing pretty much every undersized goalie to Saros (like it is frequently done these days) is a good approach.

Fair point. Saros was garnering attention - and competing at the pro level - at a much younger age.

Think the comparisons are made because he is really the only NHL goalie having success at that height.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad