G Dylan Silverstein - USNTDP, USHL (2022 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Smaller goalie with very good athleticism. He gets to some shots other goalies can't. He's controlled in his movements though, and doesn't scramble out of position too often. He tends to lose his concentration a little too often, and lets some shots in through his body. He also doesn't do a great job of tracking longer shots yet.

His stats aren't great, but they rarely are for U17 NTDP goalies. They are the best among the four goalies at the NTDP right now and Silverstein is pretty clearly the best goalie at the NTDP right now, although it is a very low bar. He's only 6'0 right now, but has another year and a half until he's drafted. If he grows another few inches, he'll probably be in that 2nd-3rd round range for 2022. If not, he'll likely be more of a 4th-5th round pick.

Dylan Silverstein at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: kinghock

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s allowed four goals through four games. He shutout an NCAA team today. His stats aren’t also only good because he plays on a good team. The other goalie has a save percentage more than 100 points worse right now.

I think he’s going to have a big season. He suffered a season ending injury last season that cost him 3-4 months. Otherwise, I think he would’ve been the starting goalie for the USA at the WJC18. He was better than the goalies on that team, even though he was a year younger. I hope he’s picked for the WJC20 this year. It makes sense to take a goalie that’ll be eligible for the following year’s tournament, and he’s better than any of the 18 year old goalies. I don’t think he’ll be picked because USAH doesn’t like picking players that haven’t been drafted yet, but he should be on the team.

He’s only listed at 6’0, so that’ll hurt his draft stock, but he’s very good. I think he should be a 2nd/3rd round pick with the way he’s trending.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Made the World Junior camp. First he has to make the team, but I think second spot is very possible. And playing some games as a 17 year old would be a big fete. That alone could help his draft stock. The list of U18 goalies to play a game for a big five country at the WJC is very impressive.

Russia: Vasilevskiy, Varlamov, Medvedev, Askarov
USA: Campbell
Finland: Lehtonen, Rask
Sweden: Akerlund
Canada: None

Edit: Those are goalies to make it since 2000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been bad since returning from the WJC. Probably only inconsistency of a young net-minder.

Going through some of his games this season, I think he's improved his concentration this year. I thought that was a big problem last year where he'd allow some terrible goals, yet would play well otherwise.

He's really sharp moving post to post with a lot of quickness. He doesn't take himself out of position often, and does well fighting off chances at the net. He moves well with the flow of play, and has good sense for a goalie. Seeing through screens and traffic is always a problem for smaller goalies, but he's not too bad for a smaller goalie at this.

I think he tends to get lost though when the play breaks down. He doesn't know what to do, and has allowed too many goals being frozen about the decision to make when that happens. His puck-handling is also weak.

I probably like his game a little too much. I realize he's a small goalie and he's not a sure-thing despite the height. I'd still pick him in round 3. I think there's a chance he could be an NHL starter.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
What is going on with him. Had a rough second part of the season after cancelled World Juniors and he has not been playing this year at all after withdrawing from BU.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He missed like 22 months of hockey. Good that he's getting back into it. If all goes well with whatever was keeping him from hockey, I suspect he'll start his college career next season and he's using from now until the rest of the season to get back into game shape.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Good to see him back. I bought a pair of his NTDP leg pads from him a couple years ago. I was starting to get worried that he was offloading his gear because of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad