G Devon Levi - Rochester Americans, AHL (2020, 212th, FLA; traded to BUF)

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The idea that the CCHL is low level junior is a joke, the exposure that it gets is yes far below that of the USHL, the caliber isn’t far off.

let’s also not forget that some good Canadians who could play Jr.A at home go to the NAHL and USHL.

Depending on the year... BCHL and CCHL are the best JR.A, and AJHL ain’t too shabby.

Anyways, Levi’s track record is unreal and I know for a fact 3 teams like him and have spoken to him. Doesn’t Guarantee anything but their are teams that are tracking him.

Craig Button pencilled this guy as the starter at the WJC for Canada this year for a reason.

Reactions: bert

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Last years NHL draft:
USHL - 52 NHL picks
WHL - 28 NHL picks
OHL - 25 NHL picks
QMJHL - 18 NHL picks
BCHL - 8 NHL picks
AJHL - 2 NHL picks
OJHL - 1 NHL pick
CCHL - 0 NHL picks

Now the comparison of OHL where players are drafted then stay until 20 vs the USHL where players are drafted and then move onto NCAA its a tough comparison since it isn't apples to apples. You get basically one or two year of USHL play vs OHL players who play 4 seasons or more.

I have never seen Levi play but the quality of player and shots he sees isn't close to the level the USHL and CHL teams.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
CCHL is generally considered one of the weaker Jr A leagues in Canada but let’s not forget that this guy carried Canada East to the gold medal game at the Jr A Challenge. Without him Canada East wouldn’t have even medalled.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The CCHL isn't the best junior league in NA but that alone is not a good reason to pass on Levi. Goalies get drafted out of lower junior leagues all of the time. If he doesn't get drafted it is because of his size, not because he was playing in the CCHL.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
The CCHL isn't the best junior league in NA but that alone is not a good reason to pass on Levi. Goalies get drafted out of lower junior leagues all of the time. If he doesn't get drafted it is because of his size, not because he was playing in the CCHL.

The combination of being small and playing in a lower level hurts draft stock - not sure how that's debatable. How can you evaluate a player fairly if one goalie is playing in OHL and one in the CCHL? Brett Brochu is under 6' and played in the OHL and had great numbers and may not get drafted either. Dustin Wolf dominated in the WHL and was small and was barely drafted. Beings small + CCHL = not great combination for draft prospects. If he was 6'7 he would be drafted. NHL overrates goalie size.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Its the third best Jr A league in Canada. Really doesnt hurt his stock considering he is going the NCAA route to a good program. That Carleton Place team would beat most USHL teams anyway and players from that league consistently have succeess at the NCAA level. But you're right about his size it will hurt him. When I saw him play he looked incredibly poised and he moves very well.

That Carleton Place team would get the floor wiped by them by any team in the USHL. There is a large gap there.

Beat by any team in the CHL probably yes but pounded by all no. The difference between the OHL and USHL is equally as big as the CCHL and the USHL in terms of quality of play. Top teams in each of those leagues will be able to play against the lower teams all day thats how it works. The fact you guys think the USHL quality is close to the CHL just shows how biased you all are.

Thats not remotely correct. The USHL is far closer in comparison to the CHL than the CCHL is to the USHL. There were 35 NHL draft picks last year in the USHL (not including NTDP), and there were 74 among the entire CHL. Statistics say you are blatantly wrong

Teams that make it to the RBC cup are all USHL quality. The winner of the CCHL has been representing eastern Canada on a regular basis at the RBC cup these teams are stacked. They are usually older but that doesnt mean the quality of play is lower they just dont have as high end prospects.

Go look at all the top players on the RBC Cup teams. Most of them did stints in the USHL, and didn't put up numbers and returned home.

The idea that the CCHL is low level junior is a joke, the exposure that it gets is yes far below that of the USHL, the caliber isn’t far off.

let’s also not forget that some good Canadians who could play Jr.A at home go to the NAHL and USHL.

Depending on the year... BCHL and CCHL are the best JR.A, and AJHL ain’t too shabby.

Anyways, Levi’s track record is unreal and I know for a fact 3 teams like him and have spoken to him. Doesn’t Guarantee anything but their are teams that are tracking him.

Craig Button pencilled this guy as the starter at the WJC for Canada this year for a reason.

CCHL is pretty low level of Junior. Its more of a D3 feeder league than a D1. None of the blue bloods recruit out of the CCHL. Theres a reason for that

CCHL = NAHL

CCHL is below the NAHL too. Commitments don't lie

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The combination of being small and playing in a lower level hurts draft stock - not sure how that's debatable. How can you evaluate a player fairly if one goalie is playing in OHL and one in the CCHL? Brett Brochu is under 6' and played in the OHL and had great numbers and may not get drafted either. Dustin Wolf dominated in the WHL and was small and was barely drafted. Beings small + CCHL = not great combination for draft prospects. If he was 6'7 he would be drafted. NHL overrates goalie size.

Being smallish alone hurts his draft stock enough irrespective of the league he plays in. No one is claiming that his draft stock is super high. His size alone suppresses his draft stock. Having a great year in the WHL or OHL does not make it materially more likely that he would get drafted even though those are much better leagues. We see goalies get drafted from all sorts of leagues so it is hard to pin going undrafted on the league.

Scouts get paid to fairly evaluate players across leagues. It is what they do.

If your argument is that you don't think he is going to get drafted, you are probably correct. In my opinion you are missing why this is the most probable result.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Being smallish alone hurts his draft stock enough irrespective of the league he plays in. No one is claiming that his draft stock is super high. His size alone suppresses his draft stock. Having a great year in the WHL or OHL does not make it materially more likely that he would get drafted even though those are much better leagues. We see goalies get drafted from all sorts of leagues so it is hard to pin going undrafted on the league.

Scouts get paid to fairly evaluate players across leagues. It is what they do.

If your argument is that you don't think he is going to get drafted, you are probably correct. In my opinion you are missing why this is the most probable result.

It certainly size that will keep his stock down but the league does matter. If he tore up some high school level he wouldn't be on any radar. He had a great season in a low level league. How does that translate to him playing in OHL vs higher quality players and better shots? I am not sure - that's what scouting is for. As mentioned - not sure anyone can have a better season than Dustin Wolf had and he still barely got picked in the draft and he put up better stats in a better league...size, size, size.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
CCHL is below the NAHL too. Commitments don't lie[/QUOTE]

Commitments do lie. Less NCAA scouts in canada. Canadian players having to pay international student fees. Players going to NAHL to be closer to the schools after committing from Canada. CCHL is a strong league.

The few players that leave CCHL to go to NAHL are looking for more exposure. Players that come from NAHL to CCHL rarley impress

Carelton Place is well coached and take advantage of playing a system that suits well on their very very small ice surface that benefits goalies such as Colton Point a very years ago

Hope he gets drafted but might be a 7th rounder

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Please tell me you are kidding. CCHL is a lower league. Fact. Secondly there was over 50 USHL players drafted last year - don’t think there was one CCHL. This year only 2 players from CCHL in NHL central scouting the 8th ranked goalie and 142 rated skater. To say a CCHL would beat a USHL is a joke.

He was saying that Chicago Steel would lose to most CHL Teams. The whole QMJHL probably isn’t even better than the USHL anymore. It’s backward thinking from CHL fans. They don’t watch the USHL, so they have no idea. If these Canadian Junior leagues are better than the USHL, why do so few players get drafted out of these leagues?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
There’s a lot of cringe here...

End of the day, I truly believe he gets drafted. Blainville tried everything for 3 years to get him to show up, to no avail. He is absolutely going to win the starters job at Northeastern.

There isn’t anything I don’t like about his game, yeah he’s small but I do think he’ll grow 2-3 inches maybe more, he’s a bit of a baby faced kid.

What he did in Carleton was amazing, he has match winning ability, which is what you want from any goalie. Cool under pressure and is a workhorse, will go late because of his size but oh well.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
CCHL is below the NAHL too. Commitments don't lie

Commitments do lie. Less NCAA scouts in canada. Canadian players having to pay international student fees. Players going to NAHL to be closer to the schools after committing from Canada. CCHL is a strong league.

The few players that leave CCHL to go to NAHL are looking for more exposure. Players that come from NAHL to CCHL rarley impress

Carelton Place is well coached and take advantage of playing a system that suits well on their very very small ice surface that benefits goalies such as Colton Point a very years ago

Hope he gets drafted but might be a 7th rounder[/QUOTE]

Less NCAA scouts in Canada? The BCHL does fine albeit being so extremely far out of the way for a basically all NCAA teams. The CCHL is a weak league. Stronger than the Maritime league and Quebece Jr A league, realistically on par with the SJ and MJ

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
You would think Devon Levi got really popular all of a sudden. No, just a meaningless debate broke out...

Which is a shame because he's a rather exciting prospect to watch. If you like goalies that look like F1 cars in the crease Levi is your guy. Needs to rein himself in and learn control but at least there's something there to work with and is one of the few NA goalie prospects worth drafting. Going to Northeastern which helped develop Primeau is a good move.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm really happy someone took a flier on Levi. He's got a ton of potential for a 7th round pick. I have him in my top-100.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
The draft is only 3 months old. This dude gets taken in the 7th round and then gets the starting job for Canada, looking damn good at it too.

How does this make any sense? All scouts were sleeping hard on him? I mean he looks so poised, he must have been good for awhile.

Last edited:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
The draft is only 3 months old. This dude gets taken in the 7th round and then gets the starting job for Canada, looking damn good at it too.

How does this make any sense? All scouts were sleeping hard on him? I mean he looks so poised, he must have been good for awhile.

pump the brakes a bit - what has he seen 25 shots in 2 games so far and not many good scoring chances.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

He is short and played Jr. A last year basically. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller he probably goes in the first 3 rounds.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think playing in Junior A also had something to do with it. Also, it's not as if being the starting goalie for Canada this year is some incredible accomplishment. It's a weaker year in goal for Canada. His competition is an undrafted goalie and an 18 year old goalie for a team that prefers 19 year old goalies. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Such a quick rise for him. Crazy to see such very little talk of him. Junior A last season to being the starting WJC goalie for Canada.

So far he is showing to be a massive steal of the 2020 draft

This thread would be blowing up massively if he was drafted to a few particular teams and not FLA

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Such a quick rise for him. Crazy to see such very little talk of him. Junior A last season to being the starting WJC goalie for Canada.

So far he is showing to be a massive steal of the 2020 draft

This thread would be blowing up massively if he was drafted to a few particular teams and not FLA

He's a fantastic pick for the 7th round. Massive steal and "blowing up massively" are maybe a bit uncalled for though. I think most of us realize that the ceiling for short goalies is usually not very high. :D

We could know for a fact that he'd be the next Saros and we might not be that excited about it.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad