GDT: G:12 Wild @ Brodziak's new team (Oilers): 8pm CT/3am Finland (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree he's probably feeling some pressure. I don't think that it really had anything to do with his decision at the end. I'd much rather him try and do that than try a half-assed flip out of the zone that can easily be fanned on or knocked down.
The right play would have been a high lob that would have caused time to run out.

He made up for it on the next faceoff. I didn't really have a problem with what he did though as I said. I may be wrong on why, but that's what I'm guessing anyway.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm 100% wrong, but I really don't have an issue with Zucker going for the net at the end.

Up 2 goals it's fine. Up 1 goal get a simple clear, keep the clock running, and maybe a line change.

5 secs left in the game it was a really bad decision, a simple clear ends the game. Scoring a goal would make 0 difference in the outcome of the game (except for gamblers). Take an icing and it has the possibility to change the outcome of the game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Up 2 goals it's fine. Up 1 goal get a simple clear, keep the clock running, and maybe a line change.

5 secs left in the game it was a really bad decision, a simple clear ends the game. Scoring a goal would make 0 difference in the outcome of the game (except for gamblers). Take an icing and it has the possibility to change the outcome of the game.

I understand the logic and all that. I just don't mind being 100% sure of the puck leaving the zone, whereas trying to finesse it out can also turn out badly.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Thoughts: Really liked the way Brodin played McDavid, held his own and seemed to be able to skate with him. Think Coyle is trying too hard, leaves me shaking my head. Does Foligno think he's a stickhandler now? Seems to have more confidence with the puck. McDavid destroyed Suter on that goal. Dumba making dumb plays again. Cracks starting to show in Pateryn's game. Bad decisions and slow-footed, still not terrible for third pair, especially since Seeler was solid tonight. Greenway needs to learn first man pins, second takes the puck. Three times I saw him hit the pinned player instead of digging out the puck and we didn't get possession three times. And, have to stay out of the penalty box, this is getting ridiculous.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

The only time you don't go for the goal is this exact scenario. Anything with 20 seconds or more, shoot for the net.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How good is McDavid? Sick talent. Best since Mario? That was a great win. Granlund has that top shelf corner shot that is unstoppable. Every goalie has a shoulder. Lol.
I have seen a bunch of players who can dominate like him, if not more, but only one who could skate and handle the puck at high speed like him- Bobby Orr. They both had(ve) this quality of not looking like they are skating that fast, but they made their opponents look like statues.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Had Wild lost this game, I would've pinned that on Eriksson-Ek. That wide open net miss with couple of minutes left on clock is one of the most brutal misses I have seen.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Finally the powerplay was efficient! Granny continuing his production and Stalock played well. Good job guys, important two points on the road!

jackouu

Nov 25, 2015
Helsinki
Btw,I think the jury is in, Granlund is better on the right halfwall than he is on the left.

If i remember correctly, Granny used to play right halfwall in HIFK and it worked like a charm. He scored many similar goals from that position too.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow unbelievable snipe by granlund , who does he think he is kaprizov? suter fumble on mcdavid. stalock played well. i kinda think oil deserved a better fate but i'll take the 2 points say thx and move on.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Had Wild lost this game, I would've pinned that on Eriksson-Ek. That wide open net miss with couple of minutes left on clock is one of the most brutal misses I have seen.
What kills me is that was such a good play by him too. Got to the front of the net for the screen, had a really good tip on the shot, got the rebound, had the patience to pull it back and around the goalie for the open shot, then does a nearly impossible angle shot to not hit the net. That was such a yes, yes, yes, NO play.

Reactions: Jugitsu

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't catch the start of last night's game, but why didn't Poolparty play (injured, healthy scratch, etc)? I was looking forward to getting another look at him.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I didn't catch the start of last night's game, but why didn't Poolparty play (injured, healthy scratch, etc)? I was looking forward to getting another look at him.

According to main boards discussion, Poodlefavre has been a healthy scratch the past 4 games.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What kills me is that was such a good play by him too. Got to the front of the net for the screen, had a really good tip on the shot, got the rebound, had the patience to pull it back and around the goalie for the open shot, then does a nearly impossible angle shot to not hit the net. That was such a yes, yes, yes, NO play.

I bet he couldn't miss that again if he tried. He creates so much - the points will come. Still just 21 years old.

Not playing him at center puts the team in a tough situation going forward. No guarantee all of Staal, Koivu, Coyle are here in two years and really no centers in the system capable of filling those shoes. Puts a team in the bad position of trading good defensemen (eg Seth Jones and Sam Girard) for mediocre centers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If i remember correctly, Granny used to play right halfwall in HIFK and it worked like a charm. He scored many similar goals from that position too.
The coaches have to see that, right? No more left halfwall on the PP? Stick Dumba over there, with Suter up top, Staal in the middle, and Parise down low.

2nd PP Brodin up top, Spurgeon on the left halfwall, Koivu in middle, Nino down low, Zucker on the Left half wall. Not perfect, but I think Spurgeon/Koivu are good enough to do zone entries, and I trust Brodin to handle the puck up top more than Coyle or someone like that. Should Belpedio or Murphy get a call up, I'd like to see what they can do. I think Spurgeon and Koivu between them can handle the puck well enough...not perfect, but that's why it's the #2. Maybe Dumba and Spurgeon can be flipped, but i like the idea of Dumba and Granny being on the ice at the same time.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I bet he couldn't miss that again if he tried. He creates so much - the points will come. Still just 21 years old.

Not playing him at center puts the team in a tough situation going forward. No guarantee all of Staal, Koivu, Coyle are here in two years and really no centers in the system capable of filling those shoes. Puts a team in the bad position of trading good defensemen (eg Seth Jones and Sam Girard) for mediocre centers.
I agree with you, and have liked Ek's play defensively, but the complete lack of any threat offensively from him is disturbing. What if he turns out to be Kyle Brodziak? Sure would be nice to see some sign of offensive talent in the NHL from at least one of Greenway, Ek, or Kunin.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Stalock might be a better puck handler than Granlund. Maybe we should suit him up in regular gear and put him on the right half wall for PP #2?
No chance, but he might not be far behind...

Yh_aSR.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad