future power forwards and tough d-men

Status
Not open for further replies.

balboozer

Sep 27, 2004
Bolzano, Italia
who could be the next neely, tocchet or bertuzzi?
whats with the panthers prospects hecimovic and stewart?

who could be the next scott stevens?
i heard a lot of dion phaneuf and brandon coburn...are there other hard hitting, tough playing and scoring d-men in the junior leagues?

is there a young player you can compare to darius kasparaitis?

thanx for your answer

Safir*

I think that Ryan Malone (Penguins) is a strong candidate for a future Powerforward.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The Stars have a trio of bruising defensemen as Matt Nickerson, Mark Fistric and Niclas Grossman are as tough as they come, but all have more or less #4/#5 potential, maybe #3, they're still quite raw.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
balboozer said:

i heard a lot of dion phaneuf and brandon coburn...are there other hard hitting, tough playing and scoring d-men in the junior leagues?

thanx for your answer

Eric Fehr has been compared to Andreychuck and Bertuzzi.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
balboozer said:

thanx for your answer

Shea Weber might be another physical Dman. He's scoring well in the dub, but I think his primary role will be as a physical Dman if he makes the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Franz said:
Hugh Jessiman - elite PF or bust. ;)

I just don't see Jessiman being a prototypical "power forward". More of a Jason Allison or Eric Daze who uses his large frame to dominate with finesse.

leafaholix*

A no-name, Nick Fugere (Nashville).

From the Leafs:

Jay Harrison (defenseman)
Dominic D'Amour (defenseman)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
jessiman likes to use his size and play a physical game...i don't know if he has the nastyness that is sometimes needed to be considered a "true" power forward, but from all accounts he will use his size to create havoc as well

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't know if Taylor Pyatt or Michael Rupp can still be viewed as future PF. Tuomas Pihlman, Eric Nystrom, Kris Chucko, Eric Fehr, Barry Tallackson, Jason Ryznar, Brian Boyle and Kyle Chipchura are all intriguing to me.

For the big bruising D-Men, Mike Egener, Matt Smaby, Ole Kristian Tollefsen, Andy Rogers, Shea Weber, Matt DeMarchi, Anton Kadeykin, Johnny Boychuk, Matthew Spiller, Boris Valabik, Garnet Exelby and Ryan O'Byrne. I don't know if Mike Komisarek can be included, but he could be a good choice.

As for those that could be compared to Kasparaitis, I heard that Alexei Yemelin, 2004 drafted by Mtl, plays a similar style.

Edit: Kasparaitis

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Eric Fehr has been compared to Andreychuck and Bertuzzi.

I can see the Andreychuk comparison, but Fehr really isn't anything at all like Todd Bertuzzi. Poor comparison there. His long reach and good hands in close however are similar to Dave.

On the Canucks, Bryan Allen would fit the bill in the 'future tough d-men' department. He's already a tough defenseman in the NHL, but his role will only be increased from here on in. In regards to power forwards, only Marc-Andre Bernier applies here, who has a power forward mentality. However he's still in the QMJHL, and has several years before he has a decent chance at making an NHL roster I'd say.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
PurCHAOS said:
For the big bruising D-Men, Mike Egener, Matt Smaby, Ole Kristian Tollefsen, Andy Rogers, Shea Weber, Matt DeMarchi, Anton Kadeykin, Johnny Boychuk, Matthew Spiller, Boris Valabik, Garnet Exelby and Ryan O'Byrne. I don't know if Mike Komisarek can be included, but he could be a good choice.

If you include Exelby, then Zack Fitzgerald should be mentioned as well.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mobey said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mark Stuart of the Boston Bruins yet.

Yeah. I'm high on this kid, even if he's drafted by the Bruins. To me, he could be one of the big though defensemen in the NHL, a little like Derian Hatcher is.

I really like Eric Fehr but he isn't a powerforward. However, he's a very good goalscorer. I think the two best powerforwards in the league for the years to come will be Anthony Stewart and Guillaume Latendresse (will be drafted in 05).

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
The Flames have one of both. Kirs Chucko is a powerforward, and Tim Ramholt is a tough dman.

Ramholt a tough defenseman? that is the first time I have heard that. When ever I read something on him its about his skating and puck movement, not how he can physically dominate another player or throw huge hits. :dunno:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
How about Regehr as a future tough dman? I know he is considered by many to be but he still is under 25 years old and more room to improve.

Anyone else seeing him being a Derian Hatcher kinda guy when hatcher was in his prime?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Ramholt a tough defenseman? that is the first time I have heard that. :
Along with being a very good puck mover, Tim Ramholt is also a very good checker. He has a great mean streak to him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_name=Tim+Ramholt&hubName=CGY
Could quickly become a marked man in the pro game, as a result of his hitting prowess. Much like Darius Kasparaitis,

And here is THN write up on Ramholt before the 2003 entry draft
http://espn.go.com/nhl/draft2003/s/bios41-50.html
Ramholt is a big, strong, physical defenseman who makes opponents pay a heavy price for hanging around the slot.

So, there ya go man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad