Speculation: Future of John Gibson aka Gibby in Anaheim

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So was reading some of the posts in the last GDT and some interesting debate about the future of Gibson on this roster.

He is still at a .900 Save% which is remarkable on this team . Several goalies around the league like Markstrom, Jones, Grubauer, Luukkoen, and etc are on teams with winning records and are below a .900 save%

I would rather keep Gibson and maybe run with a 1A and 1B goalie system next year or as soon as post TDL this year. If this D is not at least somewhat fixed going to get more games of 40 plus SOG against going into next season. So need to think about our goaltending.

Wouldn’t hurt to create a little goalie competition between Gibby and Dostal within the next 2 years. Think that will be a good thing for the near future. But still need to fix the D

Also, one final note, people assume he wants to leave . Maybe he wants to stay, maybe loves it in Anaheim and wants to see the rebuild through? I give him a lot of credit if that’s the case and he even squashed past trade rumors.

With Lukas Dostal on the near Horizon, decisions are going to have to be made.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Setting aside his contract and his performance, what playoff bound teams around the league actually even need a goalie? Los Angeles for sure but that trade isn't happening. I can't think of any other teams that could afford to take Gibson on even at 25% retained. And if PV could find a taker, the return would be very modest at best. Seems to me that the Ducks and Gibson are stuck with each other through what is looking like 2-3 more years of being a pretty bad team.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I think the window for trading him kind of past us by a season or two ago. Hes got 4 more years on his deal at $6.4mil and a 10 team no-trade list. Hes the 4th highest paid goalie, and hes not the 4th best goalie in the league.

I think we're stuck with him for better or worse. And I dont think hes been bad, he's a guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve. So while the professional thing to do might be to grin and bear it, he shows his displeasure and frustration. I dont think that means he wants to leave. He could, but just those actions alone dont tell me that.

We are starting to have less and less veteran presence and guys to rely on. Hes one of those and I have to imagine it does the locker room some good having him there. And there is no goalie close to taking his spot right now.

Stolly has be traded or not extended first. Then they have to make the decision to upgrade Dostal to the NHL roster instead of trading for or signing another backup. Even then, Dostal probably plays a full backup role for a year unless hes lights-freakin-out. I would imagine Gibby is your starter for at least 1 more full season, then maybe a 1a/1b situation the following year but thats assuming Gibby still isnt starter quality.

Until the D is fixed and I mean the entire team D not just the blueline, its not going to matter who's in goal, and sad to say but Id rather beat up Gibby than put that on a rookie. To trade Gibson right now, I think you have to either take back a bad contract or eat some of his salary. Maybe there is a team that gets desperate enough due to a goalie injury but I think its really hard to move him right now.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Setting aside his contract and his performance, what playoff bound teams around the league actually even need a goalie? Los Angeles for sure but that trade isn't happening. I can't think of any other teams that could afford to take Gibson on even at 25% retained. And if PV could find a taker, the return would be very modest at best. Seems to me that the Ducks and Gibson are stuck with each other through what is looking like 2-3 more years of being a pretty bad team.

Seattle, but you'd probably have to take back a guy like Grubauer which doesnt make any sense to do unless you are getting some really good draft picks or something.

Calgary maybe. But same situation, youd have to retain and take back a contract you probably dont want.

And the other thing is too, Id probably rather be calling Boston for one of their guys before I called Anaheim.

Reactions: tomd

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

After automatically ruling out the Kings because that just isn't going to happen the only team that makes sense is Pittsburgh. They could fit Gibson without retention if we took back Jarry and Kapanen. The problem is that there wouldn't be much if any competition to drive up the price. It's really only something that happens if Gibson asks to be moved.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We don’t need the cap space for years, we don’t know if Dostal is an NHL starter, NHL backup, or NHL journeyman yet, Gibson won’t return valuable assets, and may actually require retention or adds simply to move.

Why would we move him?

Fix the D, and his numbers will go up. Don’t fix the D, and it doesn’t matter who’s in net.

In an “I told you so” moment, I’m going to refer back to everyone telling me how wrong I was when I said I strongly disagreed with signing any goalie to a high dollar contract of this length.

alsmiss94

Oct 26, 2022
it's not happening unless Gibby demands a trade and even then I'm not sure there would be interest.

it was reported teams were inquiring at the last deadline but Gibby didn't want a trade and that was that. the time has passed. at this point his stats are miserable (any goalie on this team would be) and he makes too much money for too long for a team to take the risk that he rebounds with an actual defense. even with retaining his value is minimal and there's no reason to use up the retention spot and have the cap hit when we can easily afford him unless were being offered something great (which we won't be).

as much as i feel for gibby while he gets shelled every game he knew the team was going to be bad when he signed a long extension and asked not to be traded the last few years. maybe he didn't think they would be this bad but oh well.

its not really a big deal. we need a goalie, he seems like a great locker room guy and we're not going to have cap issues until his contract is expired. i don't understand why he chose to spend the rest of his prime here knowing what was coming but he made his choice.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We don’t need the cap space for years, we don’t know if Dostal is an NHL starter, NHL backup, or NHL journeyman yet, Gibson won’t return valuable assets, and may actually require retention or adds simply to move.

Why would we move him?

Fix the D, and his numbers will go up. Don’t fix the D, and it doesn’t matter who’s in net.

In an “I told you so” moment, I’m going to refer back to everyone telling me how wrong I was when I said I strongly disagreed with signing any goalie to a high dollar contract of this length.

I feel a team can win a cup with average goaltending we have seen it with St. Louis, Colorado, Chicago, and etc.

Should not be locking goalies up long term and for high dollar amounts, you end up like the Florida Panthers.

It seems more realistic to improve the team in front of him and stop gap that position till we see what we have in Dostal on the NHL level. Rather than the alternate of trying to trade him. Because don’t think he is very tradable right now and that is if he even wants to be traded.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they completely f***ed up not trading him a few years ago

he'd still get a decent return, but nothing close to what they could have gotten for him in 2019 or 2020. hope he's dealt at the deadline because he deserves better and is a far better goalie than most people think

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You move him because it’s becoming quite the toxic situation IMO. He wants to win and they’re hanging him out to dry. The frustration is obvious. I’m sure watching Rakell, Lindholm, Manson, and Perry all on winning teams isn’t making him any less frustrated

I would like to see him moved for both sides’ sake

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You move him because it’s becoming quite the toxic situation IMO. He wants to win and they’re hanging him out to dry. The frustration is obvious. I’m sure watching Rakell, Lindholm, Manson, and Perry all on winning teams isn’t making him any less frustrated

No argument but do you see a realistic destination for him?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Also, one final note, people assume he wants to leave . Maybe he wants to stay, maybe loves it in Anaheim and wants to see the rebuild through? I give him a lot of credit if that’s the case and he even squashed past trade rumors.

Your thoughts?

Gibby is like Lindholm's situation. Both are great talents whose talents are muddied during the rebuild. Lindholm provided that proof when traded to a contending team and he's viewed as 1D with McAvoy. Both have only known one organization. I know Lindholm wanted to retire a Duck when he asked for an 8-year term with the Ducks along with a hometown discount. Maybe Gibby is similar in thought of also retiring as a Duck.

There's always the narrative that Gibby wants to be traded ::: cough, Stephens, cough :::, but when you hear the video of the same transcripts, there's no feeling that Gibby wants to leave Anaheim.

::: raising shoulders ::: With our new mgmt, I doubt Verbeek is looking to make any non-youth Duck a legacy Duck, see Lindholm.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No argument but do you see a realistic destination for him?
I think if the realistic options would be at the draft

where teams like Redwings, Sabres, Canadians may have interest.

Playoff teams only ones that maybe would be interested or kick tires would be Kings, Leafs, Caps

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think if the realistic options would be at the draft

where teams like Redwings, Sabres, Canadians may have interest.

Playoff teams only ones that maybe would be interested or kick tires would be Kings, Leafs, Caps
Redwings - locked in with Husso for another 2 years
Sabres - best possibility but their GM has made it pretty clear that they want to go with their young goalies
Canadiens - Would Gibson waive for them?
Kings - never gonna happen
Leafs - see Canadiens
Caps - locked in with Kuemper for another 4 years

My thoughts anyway.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Redwings - locked in with Husso for another 2 years
Sabres - best possibility but their GM has made it pretty clear that they want to go with their young goalies
Canadiens - Would Gibson waive for them?
Kings - never gonna happen
Leafs - see Canadiens
Caps - locked in with Kuemper for another 4 years

My thoughts anyway.
I imagine in most trade scenarios we have to take a goalie/cap back... so Husso/Kuemper potentially coming back in the trade (which ideally would help retain some of gibsons value). Well still need a goalie to hold the fort while we see what happens with guys like Dostal/Clang etc.

Kings agreed
Canadiens... i guess prob not, but idk for certain
Leafs... i think more likely than canadians, as its a chance to play meaningful games again and get back some of his legacy/value hes lost the last few years.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Whatever HE wants to do, I'm actually fine with. I still think he's a top tier goalie, and I'd have no problem letting him go to a contending team if he wanted to do that.

However, I don't think we'd get our money's worth on the market for him, so if he wants to stay here, no problem with that either. It's mostly in his court anyway, with his partial NTC.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I hate to bring up the past, but I have never felt comfortable with Gibson in the net. I wish they traded him years ago and kept Freddy Andersen.

When Gibson is on, he is great. When the team is playing badly (can’t imagine now) his body language is expressed clearly. I wonder how he feels that most of the ‘core’ that was here has found different success in other places.

I still think he has good value, but I don’t know where he would fit

Reactions: Deuce22

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hate to bring up the past, but I have never felt comfortable with Gibson in the net. I wish they traded him years ago and kept Freddy Andersen.

When Gibson is on, he is great. When the team is playing badly (can’t imagine now) his body language is expressed clearly. I wonder how he feels that most of the ‘core’ that was here has found different success in other places.

I still think he has good value, but I don’t know where he would fit

I don’t blame him for his body language. We are experiencing historically bad defense right now. I don’t mind being patient with player development for our D but Verbeek needs to fix the D sooner than later, and may need to make trades or sign FAs to speed up the process. Not even a Vezina goalie could save this team. Lol

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Is there any evidence of the situation being toxic whatsoever? Please don't rely on amateur body language expertise.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t blame him for his body language. We are experiencing historically bad defense right now. I don’t mind being patient with player development for our D but Verbeek needs to fix the D sooner than later, and may need to make trades or sign FAs to speed up the process. Not even a Vezina goalie could save this team. Lol
He had the body language issue when we were good.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had the body language issue when we were good.

I love Gibby’s personality. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. I prefer to fix the team in front of him and get some competitive seasons while still in his prime and in Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad