Future of Canuck RFA's

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Well, if an arbitrator rules in favour of any the bolded players then... buh-bye.

Teams can't just bail on arbitration rulings that they don't like. A team has limited walk-away privileges and they are limited to larger contracts-- lower limit was $3.5M in 2013, so would be closer to $5M this summer. Not applicable to the players that you referenced: Motte, Granlund, Leivo, Pouliot, Gaunce, Kero, and Boucher.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Granlund, Pouliot, Motte..see ya later. I doubt Goldobin will be qualified and be on the summer's first flight to Moscow, Hutton I'd keep but I wonder if the team feels the same way with likely keeping Edler and having Hughes on the left side next year. I'd keep Leivo as long as it's a reasonable price.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Granlund, Pouliot, Motte..see ya later. I doubt Goldobin will be qualified and be on the summer's first flight to Moscow, Hutton I'd keep but I wonder if the team feels the same way with likely keeping Edler and having Hughes on the left side next year. I'd keep Leivo as long as it's a reasonable price.
This team doesnt have the luxury of trading Hutton when Hughes makes the team. There needs to be quality defensemen from 1-8 based on the injuries this team consistently sustains.

I'd be happy to see Pouliot and Granlund go. Agreed the Goldobin is likely gone but hopefully a contender with cap issues is willing to trade an asset for him as he won't cost much in dollar value and he still has upside. Motte isn't effective but he'll likely be re-upped for his PK

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Pouliot is gone for sure; should catch on somewhere for ~$850k. Granlund is very likely gone, will sign somewhere for probably ~$1.1M. Goldobin is probably gone and I have no further idea of what his future holds or where it will play out. Motte will get a 1-way deal here because the coach likes him; it had better be for less than $1M. Hutton, I'm guessing 3 years at around $3.5M per. Leivo, the going rate for guys of his level and status is just under $2M per, guessing he'll want a 3-year deal otherwise he'll probably opt for 1 year and then take his chances in UFA.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Pouliot is gone for sure; should catch on somewhere for ~$850k. Granlund is very likely gone, will sign somewhere for probably ~$1.1M. Goldobin is probably gone and I have no further idea of what his future holds or where it will play out. Motte will get a 1-way deal here because the coach likes him; it had better be for less than $1M. Hutton, I'm guessing 3 years at around $3.5M per. Leivo, the going rate for guys of his level and status is just under $2M per, guessing he'll want a 3-year deal otherwise he'll probably opt for 1 year and then take his chances in UFA.

Can't see Leivo getting that much. He couldn't crack an NHL line up in TOR. He's been ok, but if he gets more than $1.3M I'll be surprised.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Can't see Leivo getting that much. He couldn't crack an NHL line up in TOR. He's been ok, but if he gets more than $1.3M I'll be surprised.

Last summer Blake Coleman got $1.8M x 3 years, was a very comparable player in terms of performance, age and status (UFA-1) as Leivo will be this summer. Stefan Noesen, similar performance but UFA-2, got $1.725M.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Qualify for sure: Goldy, Boeser, Hutton, Demko, and Leivo.

Should qualify: Motte and Teves.

Strongly consider qualifying (even if only for the AHL): Kero, Gaunce, Boucher,

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Granlund - Do not qualify. Time to move on to someone better.

Motte - Bring back for another year. At the worst he’s competition for a fourth line spot. At best he can play on the fourth line.

Leivo - Bring back on a 1 year “show me” deal.

Boeser - Time to lock him up. Would have been wiser to do so last off season, as his cap hit is going to be much higher now thanks to the Nylander effect.

Goldobin - do not qualify. Time to move on.

Hutton - Bring him back. I’d do a 2 or 3 year deal - something that is moveable if the team decides to upgrade, and fits within the cap structure if they don’t.

Pouliot - Do not qualify. For the love of God, let him walk.

Teves - Sign him and let him develop in Utica.

Demko - a two year deal in the $1 to $1.5n range would be about right.

Reactions: PM

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Normally I say you qualify everyone. But there is such a collection of crap on this team that you actually have to be careful you don't have a lot of useless players taking up contract slots because they accept the qualifier!

Gaunce - qualify, nothing but minimum raise and pass through waivers at the conclusion of camp

Motte - move on. He's terrible. Bottom 10 player in the league.

Pouliot - never should have been acquired. Move on.

Teves - qualify with plans to play him in the AHL

Granlund - MOVE ON. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY MOVE ON!

Leivo - qualify and sign but nothing longer than 1 year deal. I'm still not convinced this is an everyday player.

Hutton - Qualify and sign for 2-3 years. OR trade him as part of the blueline re-configuration

Boeser - He's saved his season the last few weeks IMO by showing he can learn on defensive side and be much effective at both ends of the rink. Long term deal.

Demko - 2 year deal. Nothing above $2 mil.

Goldy - let him walk IMO.

Edler/Tanev - If you re-sign Edler you move Tanev. If you move on from Edler you still might move on from Tanev (at the deadline or more preferably at this years draft). You just can't have both anymore. They aren't top pairing guys anymore on a good team. They can't stay healthy. They are getting older.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking forward to Benning needlessly giving raises to guys who clearly should be playing at their qualifying offer $ figure. I think it's Demko's turn to get some free money.

Reactions: mossey3535

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Looking forward to Benning needlessly giving raises to guys who clearly should be playing at their qualifying offer $ figure. I think it's Demko's turn to get some free money.

He's similar to Schneider at that stage who signed for 2 years at $900k per. With the cap expected to be near $83M compared to $59.4M when Schneider signed, the comparable contract this summer would be $1.25M x 2 years.

Reactions: m9

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't disagree completely but he does show grit and aggression. Both up until recently sadly lacking.

yes grit and aggression coupled with bottom 10 possession stats. He shows grit and aggression because he never has the puck.

If I'm looking at two players and one has grit and aggression but hurts the team and the other doesn't show those things but is even against his competition or ahead I'm taking the second guy.

Now I'd really like to have a guy that has that grit and aggression AND wins his match ups.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We need a good 75% roster turnover before we're going to be anything resembling a good team, and this offseason is a great place to start.

Cut Motte. Cut Granlund. Cut Goldobin. Cut Pouliot.
1 year deal for Teves, Gaunce, Schenn and Leivo.
2 year deal for Demko and Hutton.
6-8 year deal for Boeser.
Waive Loui Eriksson on July 2nd and tell him it's Utica or retirement, replace with Gaunce at $925k.
Waive Schaller at start of season.

Need to negotiate properly on the Hutton/Leivo/Demko deals and not just capitulate to whatever their agents ask for. And just because we have room now doesn't mean we should be ok overpaying for any player.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
nevermind

Oh good point, we'll need to hand out a couple 2 year deals to ensure we meet exposure requirements. I mean if they are still on the team after next year then Sutter/Eriksson should 100% be exposed. And a decision will need to be made about Demko/Markstrom.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
replace with Gaunce at $925k.

Need to negotiate properly on the Hutton/Leivo/Demko deals and not just capitulate to whatever their agents ask for. And just because we have room now doesn't mean we should be ok overpaying for any player.

Then why offer $925K to Gaunce who can be qualified at $840K, played in 3 NHL games this year after passing through the entire league on waivers, and has 15 points in 117 career NHL games? That's a 10% overpayment right there even on the assumption that he deserves a qualifying offer.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wow!....according to Cap Friendly, the Canucks go into the off-season having to make decisions on a whopping total of of 14 RFA's.

The list includes: Motte, Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin, Leivo, Boeser, Hutton, Teves, Demko, LaPlante, Gaunce, Kero, Boucher, and McEneny, who listed as a Group VI free agent. Of course the UFA's include Edler, Pyett and both current Utica goalies Mazanec and Leighton.

Obviously some of these guys like Boeser, Levio, Hutton and Demko are automatics. But that still leaves a lot of bodies the Canucks have to make a decision on. So who would you qualify?

I wouldn't bother qualifying most of those.

I'd qualify Goldobin, though I don't expect he'll have any interest in returning.

Leivo I would qualify, and could see him getting somewhere around $5M/2 years. Would be a solid signing.

Boeser I expect to go for somewhere in the area of $64M/8 years.

Hutton I would look to re-sign. Ideally $14M/4 years, though I expect that number to be closer to $16M/4 years.

Demko...easy re-sign. I'd look at a bridge deal there, probably $3M over 2 years.

Teves, probably re-sign for 1 year at $800k (2-way deal though). Gaunce and Boucher I'd qualify and look to keep around as they're solid depth. The rest can go. Kero probably isn't bad to keep around for Utica. Zero interest in keeping Motte, Granlund or Pouliot around.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
yes grit and aggression coupled with bottom 10 possession stats. He shows grit and aggression because he never has the puck.

If I'm looking at two players and one has grit and aggression but hurts the team and the other doesn't show those things but is even against his competition or ahead I'm taking the second guy.

Now I'd really like to have a guy that has that grit and aggression AND wins his match ups.
We are on the same page.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Then why offer $925K to Gaunce who can be qualified at $840K, played in 3 NHL games this year after passing through the entire league on waivers, and has 15 points in 117 career NHL games? That's a 10% overpayment right there even on the assumption that he deserves a qualifying offer.

But it's a CBA built in over payment at least. There is some value in keeping players that help the organization as a whole and Gaunce does that. Note that there is no way you give him a one-way deal...

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Sure hasn't earned it yet but that won't stop Benning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad