Future of Canuck RFA's

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....according to Cap Friendly, the Canucks go into the off-season having to make decisions on a whopping total of of 14 RFA's.

The list includes: Motte, Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin, Leivo, Boeser, Hutton, Teves, Demko, LaPlante, Gaunce, Kero, Boucher, and McEneny, who listed as a Group VI free agent. Of course the UFA's include Edler, Pyett and both current Utica goalies Mazanec and Leighton.

Obviously some of these guys like Boeser, Levio, Hutton and Demko are automatics. But that still leaves a lot of bodies the Canucks have to make a decision on. So who would you qualify?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Wow!....according to Cap Friendly, the Canucks go into the off-season having to make decisions on a whopping total of of 14 RFA's.

The list includes: Motte, Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin, Leivo, Boeser, Hutton, Teves, Demko, LaPlante, Gaunce, Kero, Boucher, and McEneny, who listed as a Group VI free agent. Of course the UFA's include Edler, Pyett and both current Utica goalies Mazanec and Leighton.

Obviously some of these guys like Boeser, Levio, Hutton and Demko are automatics. But that still leaves a lot of bodies the Canucks have to make a decision on. So who would you qualify?

Does anyone know how many of the RFAs have arbitration rights that might complicate things? My understanding of QOs is a bit fuzzy, but don't they require different salary increases depending on the player's experience? In other words, 5% for some RFAs, but 10% for others?

I agree Boeser, Hutton, and Demko are automatics. I'd consider offering QOs to Leivo and Goldobin, but mainly to see if another team might be tempted to sign them to an offer sheet that would get the Canucks draft picks in compensation. If not, they might just produce enough offensively next year to convince another GM to cough up some draft picks at the trade deadline.

I think anyone else on the list only needs to be qualified because, well, the Canucks have to sign somebody to fill out the roster for the NHL and AHL. I will admit to hoping that doesn't include Granlund or Pouliot.

Sorry, but can you explain to me why Teves is on this list? Didn't they just sign him, like, 2 weeks ago? Is he already an RFA? Has he even played a game in Utica yet?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Does anyone know how many of the RFAs have arbitration rights that might complicate things? My understanding of QOs is a bit fuzzy, but don't they require different salary increases depending on the player's experience? In other words, 5% for some RFAs, but 10% for others?

I agree Boeser, Hutton, and Demko are automatics. I'd consider offering QOs to Leivo and Goldobin, but mainly to see if another team might be tempted to sign them to an offer sheet that would get the Canucks draft picks in compensation. If not, they might just produce enough offensively next year to convince another GM to cough up some draft picks at the trade deadline.

I think anyone else on the list only needs to be qualified because, well, the Canucks have to sign somebody to fill out the roster for the NHL and AHL. I will admit to hoping that doesn't include Granlund or Pouliot.

Sorry, but can you explain to me why Teves is on this list? Didn't they just sign him, like, 2 weeks ago? Is he already an RFA? Has he even played a game in Utica yet?
One year deal. They are burning it this year.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
One year deal. They are burning it this year.

Okay, but has he played yet for Utica? Hockydb.com has nothing.

I'm going to take this as evidence that complex agreements like the CBA will inevitably produce some quirky results, lol.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This is what they have signed for the NHL already:

Baerstchi-Pettersson-Spooner
Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson
Gaudette-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Schaller

Hughes-Tanev
Sautner-Stecher
Brisebois-Biega

Markstrom
Bachman

Plus another 10 players under contract for Utica. There's plenty of guys filling out the roster, the concern should be dumping the bad contracts and getting good players in their place.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This is what they have signed for the NHL already:

Baerstchi-Pettersson-Spooner
Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson
Gaudette-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Schaller

Hughes-Tanev
Sautner-Stecher
Brisebois-Biega

Markstrom
Bachman

Plus another 10 players under contract for Utica. There's plenty of guys filling out the roster, the concern should be dumping the bad contracts and getting good players in their place.

That line-up damn near gave me a heart attack until I realize it will be bolstered by RFAs lol

I'm highly doubtful that Benning is capable of dumping bad contracts and getting good players to replace them.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Motte, Granlund, Leivo, Pouliot, Hutton, Gaunce, Karo, and Boucher all have arbitration rights.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

...Sorry, but can you explain to me why Teves is on this list? Didn't they just sign him, like, 2 weeks ago? Is he already an RFA? Has he even played a game in Utica yet?

Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

• The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
    • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
    • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
    • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.

Teves is on the list because he was only allowed to sign a "1-year" deal which takes him till the end of this season.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Okay, but has he played yet for Utica? Hockydb.com has nothing.

I'm going to take this as evidence that complex agreements like the CBA will inevitably produce some quirky results, lol.

Due to Tevez's age, he could only sign a 1 year deal, and because he signed the deal after the trade deadline he isn't eligible for AHL playoffs, so he might as well send the time up practicing with the Canucks and possibly getting a game or two

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Teves is on the list because he was only allowed to sign a "1-year" deal which takes him till the end of this season.

Due to Tevez's age, he could only sign a 1 year deal, and because he signed the deal after the trade deadline he isn't eligible for AHL playoffs, so he might as well send the time up practicing with the Canucks and possibly getting a game or two

Thank you.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wondering if any of these RFA's have any trade value?....With Hughes and Juolevi on the way, suddenly the Canucks have a surplus of left-shot d-men, particularly if Edler re-signs.

What about Hutton? He's had a good season, but might he fetch a decent pick or a prospect for a team still needing help up front?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wondering if any of these RFA's have any trade value?....With Hughes and Juolevi on the way, suddenly the Canucks have a surplus of left-shot d-men, particularly if Edler re-signs.

What about Hutton? He's had a good season, but might he fetch a decent pick or a prospect for a team still needing help up front?
Neither Hughes nor Juolevi have played a single game at the NHL level (or in the case of Hughes, at any professional level). I wouldn’t be so quick to move Hutton.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The guys I can see not getting a QO who are on 1 way deals, so excluding Laplante, Kero, Boucher are the following:

Gaunce - I think it's best to move on from him. He's cleared waivers already so I doubt teams will be calling to make a deal. If he's not part of the future here, it's best to let him try his luck somewhere else.

Motte - I say sign him. Use him as a spare forward.

Pouliot - he's done. Hasn't elevated his game.

Teves - might as well see how he performs in the AHL for a season, so extend him on a 2 way deal otherwise, let him go.

Granlund - his fate likely lies in what the Canucks do with the guys they have under contract. Are Spooner and/or Schaller buyout candidates? Is the team trading Sutter? Can they move off Ericsson's contract? If 2-3 of these guys are cut loose, he could be back. But, I would say do not match is QO. Do the Pouliot move and not qualify him if you want to sign him at a lower amount than his $1.4 million.

Leivo - sign him. He's 1 year from UFA, so no harm in doing a 1 year deal.

Hutton - Also a year from UFA. Depends what they plan to do with Edler. But, for sure, you bring him back, even via arbitration for 1 year.

Boeser - long term deal, I'm guessing Nylander type money. No point in bridging him. $42 million for 6 years is a $7 mill cap hit. Why do a 2 year bridge for $7/8 million total, then do a long term deal if he hits 40 goals with EP and pay him $9 million plus afterwards? Over the same 6 years, you;re looking at $43/44 million. Might as well try to lower your cap when EP hits his next contract.

Demko - 2 year deal similar to J. Sarros in Nashville. $1.5 million or so cap hit.

Goldy - I'd qualify him and look to flip him at the draft or take on another player in a similar situation. No reason to just let him walk.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hutton- 3.5/4 per year.
Boeser - 6ish per year.
Demko - Maybe 1.5 for a year or two? He's played all of 4 games for us.

The rest are replacement level players. I'd honestly consider the rest below a million per year (at least averaged out). I don't think we need to worry. If we lose a Motte or a Leivo we can find another (maybe better) player in UFA.

If we can retain Edler's service then keeping the relative core of our current roster intact means money will be spent on improvements.

Shake things up. Offer sheet Point or Marner or Myers. Try to knock it out of the park with Panarin or Karlsson. I mean we won't. Idiot boy said he won't anyway. But back to my point: We have three RFAs worth something that we have to resign. Everyone else can come aboard cheap or get replaced as they aren't significant enough contributors.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He has grown on me and he deserves a chance to improve. We aren’t going to be a threat for a long playoff run for at least another season.
Have to agree....I think as a team, the Canucks are tougher to play against, particularly down-low, since the arrival of Leivo and Pearson. And I'm really starting to like the play of Schenn. I know it's a longshot for him to return, but if they could get him for another season at a price-point just beyond the league minimum, he's be a wise investment as a depth d-man.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Boeser
Leivo
Demko
Hutton
Motte
Goldobin

These are the players I’d bring back, trade Goldy if he doesn’t improve significantly, but no point just to lose him for nothing. Motte is a serviceable 4th liner. Leivo’s a solid player, I’d sign him to a 2 year extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Have to agree....I think as a team, the Canucks are tougher to play against, particularly down-low, since the arrival of Leivo and Pearson. And I'm really starting to like the play of Schenn. I know it's a longshot for him to return, but if they could get him for another season at a price-point just beyond the league minimum, he's be a wise investment as a depth d-man.
Pearson is no where near Motte. He's slow and ineffective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad