Future Goaltending Situation

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With you on this. Although if DeSmith continues his solid play, there may be some teams that offer him a little bit of $. But who knows if that will continue. 1+ years of being a decent backup most likely won't get him any good offers, but who knows.

Never really been high on Jarry. Think his ceiling is an average backup.

I think Jarry is a future #1 (just not on this team if Murray fully rebounds and the Pens want CDS around), I think the issue is who the measuring stick is.

If it's Murray, we need to really temper our expectations a little, Jarry is just 23, until this season he was still splitting time with Casey DeSmith who is now showing in the NHL that he's a solid goalie that belongs. That WBS net hasn't been Jarry's and only Jarry's at all during his time there. Even when Murray was in WBS, that net was his, he was the #1.

I would hang on to Jarry, let him play a full season in WBS next year as just the sole number one, you treat him like a number one and let him ride out games and watch him flourish. You don't want to force the kid at all, there is absolutely zero need to.

There are not a ton of goalies that suddenly become #1's at 21-24yrs of age. A lot of goalies take time to develop, there's a lot of goalies that were back-ups until 27yrs old and then went on to be #1's elsewhere, maybe even in the 25-26 age range. I also look at a guy like Jack Campbell, toiled around in the Stars system, they kept trying to rush him and he needed time, went to LA and suddenly started to round out his game and now looks like a goalie that might actually be the #1 people thought he could be. Until his injury.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
*pours out a 40oz*

Man. I was all up on the Jack Campbell hype train early in the year when the Pens goaltending sucked really bad. I was having a blast watching him play and have angles, reactions, and glove hand working.

He's pretty much healed, on an AHL conditioning assignment, but the knee injury threw his year outta sync.

I'd rather pump money into keeping CDS around for sure over Jarry even though I think over the course of backing up a year, I think they'd even out to the same efficacy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would hang on to Jarry, let him play a full season in WBS next year as just the sole number one, you treat him like a number one and let him ride out games and watch him flourish. You don't want to force the kid at all, there is absolutely zero need to.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is his last year of waiver exemption. And while there's no sure thing when it comes to waivers, I'd be worried enough about the prospect of losing him for free that I'd be thinking trade before sending him to WBS.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad