Future Goaltending Situation

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Curious to what everyone thinks will happen next season in net.

Jarry probably doesn't want to play another full year in WBS.
Casey DeSmith is a FA and may have gotten the attention of other teams offering him a 1B role.

So does Jarry just become Murray's backup? There any inkling we'd somehow re-sign CDS?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think DeSmith will sign elsewhere and it’ll be Murray/Jarry in net. I’m not sold on Jarry, but he has almost no value at this point.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Jarry is an NHL-caliber goaltender.

I'd just re-sign DeSmith, I don't think he'll command a ton. Maybe 2 million over 2 years.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You really think someone could build around DeSmith as a real #1?

Dude is already 27. Jarry is 4 years younger.

I like CDS, but he's pretty much on path of just solid career backup at this point.

Jarry has fallen down the depth chart.

I honestly don't trust either of them behind a possibly injury prone Murray. But would rather keep rolling the dice with CDS.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i must have zoned out for when popular opinion soured so much on jarry's potential. i also think he's likely traded but he's not an nhl goalie somewhere, anymore?

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well Jarrs is already under contract for next season and he hasn't done anything to date this season to NOT try and re-up CDS.
Sign CDS on the cheap if his stellar play continues would be the priority on the goaltending front.
Deal with whatever afterwards. Trade, trying to squeeze him through waivers, etc. etc.
Or if he out plays CDS in camp, you can trade him or try and squeeze him thru waivers.

Reactions: Giskard

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Answer pretty much depends on what DeSmith wants to do vs the amount of money we're willing to offer. Or so I hope. Logical thing to do is keep DeSmith and trade Jarry if the monies work out.

You really think someone could build around DeSmith as a real #1?

Dude is already 27. Jarry is 4 years younger.

I like CDS, but he's pretty much on path of just solid career backup at this point.

Jarry has fallen down the depth chart.

I honestly don't trust either of them behind a possibly injury prone Murray. But would rather keep rolling the dice with CDS.

Raanta was 28 when he got his shot at being a starter and is doing great for Arizona. Hutton just got his chance at 32, Darling at 29...

The age isn't the issue here so much as the lack of track record. Those guys had 2/3 seasons of being a good back up. DeSmith has one. How much money do you throw at someone who might be having one great season on adrenaline?

But then, how much are you willing to throw at a goaltender with a .926 save percentage if you're Philly or Ottawa?

i must have zoned out for when popular opinion soured so much on jarry's potential. i also think he's likely traded but he's not an nhl goalie somewhere, anymore?

Hasn't been great when up this season, hasn't posted consistently good save percentages for WBS for a while.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would love to be able to re-sign CDS and trade Jarry and his one-way deal, but I think, even if the Pens offer the same money as others, he’s going to get a starting gig somewhere if he continues to play well and probably would leave for that...the only way I see him staying is if Murray falters and loses favor, and the Pens bring CDS back as the starter...

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Would love to run a trio if the cap and roster spots work out. Something like 42-25-15 for starts. That's unlikely tho

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Wait, so Jarry sucks now? Guy played 2 games when the team was playing its worst and we’re writing him off? Just like how this team was done and they needed to fire Sullivan a week and a half ago? Jarry isn’t a sure thing but he’s still got NHL potential.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Wait, so Jarry sucks now? Guy played 2 games when the team was playing its worst and we’re writing him off? Just like how this team was done and they needed to fire Sullivan a week and a half ago? Jarry isn’t a sure thing but he’s still got NHL potential.

Jarry is struggling a bit in the AHL, and that's putting it lightly.

2.90 GAA and .908SV% this year, 3.05 GAA and .901 SV% last year.

Reactions: vodeni
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Haven't payed too close attention to Jarry this season, so this is a surprise to me. My initial thought was run with Murray/Jarry as I think CDS is more likely to be a flash in the pan. If Jarry has underperformed then I am ok with CDS as a back up with a reasonable contract.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Jarry is struggling a bit in the AHL, and that's putting it lightly.

2.90 GAA and .908SV% this year, 3.05 GAA and .901 SV% last year.

WBS is also a mediocre team, at least this year.

I haven't watched him at all down there so I can't comment. All I will say is that I've seen nothing from him at the NHL level that makes me doubt his potential.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Jarry has looked NHL caliber to me. Problem is, he either steals a game or is giving up 4.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
WBS is also a mediocre team, at least this year.

I haven't watched him at all down there so I can't comment. All I will say is that I've seen nothing from him at the NHL level that makes me doubt his potential.
plus the d down there is not the best. imo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
DeSmith playing as well as he has and Jarry not exactly taking the AHL by storm this year must have changed the org's succession plans a bit. If things continue as they have this year, Jarry might not make it here but he's still young enough that he could become an NHL goalie. Goalies usually take a little longer to develop and he's only 23.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Casey DeSmith is a FA and may have gotten the attention of other teams offering him a 1B role.

So does Jarry just become Murray's backup? There any inkling we'd somehow re-sign CDS?

Pens are in win now mode. Can’t see any chance the Pens trade DeSmith unless it is for a back up goalie upgrade. If the Pens kept Fleury as a back up then they will make sure they have 3 goalies they can count on in case of injury. Jarry is an injury insurance policy this season. Hard to say if they will keep DeSmith. I guess it will all come down to how much it will cost.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I don't think Jarry is an NHL-caliber goaltender.

I'd just re-sign DeSmith, I don't think he'll command a ton. Maybe 2 million over 2 years.

With you on this. Although if DeSmith continues his solid play, there may be some teams that offer him a little bit of $. But who knows if that will continue. 1+ years of being a decent backup most likely won't get him any good offers, but who knows.

Never really been high on Jarry. Think his ceiling is an average backup.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Jarry needs to make a goalie expendable and he hasn't yet, I let him play out the rest of the season in WBS and try to see if he can make it deep into the playoffs, he has a lot to work on, he can't handle a #1's workload and he has consistency issues and doesn't seem to be able to play too many in a row which is something you need from a future #1.

Right now, I sign Casey DeSmith to a 2yr deal worth around 2-2.25m/yr to stay as Murray's back-up/1B. Murray gets hurt often, CDS has a chance to keep showing he's a solid netminder, but he's also 27yrs old, so if he sees that now that Murray is back and is getting the bulk of the games again and he liked being a default #1, he might actually just bounce on the open market to a team that signs him to be in a 1A/1B situation again.

Jarry is just 23yrs old.

Casey is making a name for himself at 26-27.
Murray did his at 21-22.

If Jarry wants out, cool, there's a market for him.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->