Speculation: Future Expansion Draft To Be Salary Based

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think what the NHL is saying is that we all need to go out and slightly overpay a few players so that we can give them some overpaid guy.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't think this'll effect the Oiler too much. The Oiler aren't rocking any super large contracts (most teams have 2-3 contracts with higher caphits that the Oilers). And outside of McDavid, they don't have anyone that should come in higher than 6 over the next few years.

The Hawks are in troble in this system. 21 million to just two players, and near 45 million to their top 6 highest paid (Toews, Kane, Seabrook Crowford, Keith, Hossa). By contrast, the Oilers will likely have arround 12mil invested in their highest 2 contracts and arround 35 after totaling up their 6 highest paid.

The question becomes when would this be? The Oilers ideal window would be within the next 3 years, before McDavi'd and Nurse's ELC expire.

Following the old rules... "Choose to protect either nine forwards, five defensemen, and one goalie or seven forwards, three defensemen, and two goalies". All ELC's are inelegiable...

Forwards:
Protected: Hall, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks, Klinkhammer, Purcell, Lander, Letestu
Unprotected: Korpikoski, Gazdic, Hamilton, Miller, Pitlick
Inelegiable for draft: McDavid, Draisaitl, Pakarinen, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Khaira, Moroz, Kessy, Chase, Platzer, Christopher

Defenceman:
Protected: Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Schultz, Fayne/Gyrba
Unprotected: Gyrba/Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, Hunt
Inelegiable for draft: Nurse, Reinhart, Leleggia, Simpson, Musil, Betker, Gernat, Oesterle

Goalies:
Protected: Nilsson
Unprotected: Talbot, Scrivens
Inelegiable for draft: Brossoit, Laurikainen

The Oilers actually come out of this pretty well

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think expansion will help the Oilers a bit actually. They have a really good cap structure with the core guys and only have overpayments with bad players

Either noone from Oilers gets claimed, or our unwanted guys do. But some good talent from older cap teams could be exposed. Talent will be further spread out and there is more parity. Oilers will keep same core

But expansion is just bad. Move Florida/Arizona/Canes to Vegas (which will fail) and Quebec

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Please correct if I'm wrong, but just because you expose your garbage contract's during expansion, doesn't necessarily mean a new incoming team will take them right?

Just because Philly will have the opportunity to expose Lecavelier, or Colombus expose Clarkson, doesn't instantly rid themselves of those albatross mistakes.
I can't see any new team biting on them.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Please correct if I'm wrong, but just because you expose your garbage contract's during expansion, doesn't necessarily mean a new incoming team will take them right?

Just because Philly will have the opportunity to expose Lecavelier, or Colombus expose Clarkson, doesn't instantly rid themselves of those albatross mistakes.

Not those ones, but there is some guys that can still play that have big contracts. An expansion team might bite to get some vets

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

Clarkson maybe, I imagine these teams will be looking for a few high salary options to get to the cap floor. I don't think there are too many teams that would have to expose really good players. Though I wouldn't be shocked if the league provided less protection than last time around.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah true.

I'm sure you could mitigate it somehow. Through marketing or having league oversight in terms of draft position or eligibility for high end talents.

I'd also assume there would be conditions for players to re-enter the draft after 2 years if nothing has happened.

The drafting expansion team could temporarily trade the player to any NHL team that were willing to give up assets in exchange. A top pick could get experience (and risk injury) for two to three years with the acquiring team, but the trading team would have to agree on an equitable set of assets (future draft picks) as compensation for the risk/loss of ELC years.

It would be tough to set valuations, but it would help the expansion teams build pools of assets more quickly.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Clarkson maybe, I imagine these teams will be looking for a few high salary options to get to the cap floor. I don't think there are too many teams that would have to expose really good players. Though I wouldn't be shocked if the league provided less protection than last time around.

I'd like to see the expansion teams be reasonably competitive from the start.

It's not very interesting hockey to have 2 teams losing 80% of their games and taking several years to go from awful to merely mediocre.

If it were me I'd set the rules to protect something like:

5 forwards
3 dmen
1 goalie from each team

or if a team wanted to protect 2 goalies...

4 forwards
2 dmen
2 goalies

Again ELC contracts would be exempt.

I think some decent players would start slipping through if they kept the protected list as low as possible.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think this'll effect the Oiler too much. The Oiler aren't rocking any super large contracts (most teams have 2-3 contracts with higher caphits that the Oilers). And outside of McDavid, they don't have anyone that should come in higher than 6 over the next few years.

The Hawks are in troble in this system. 21 million to just two players, and near 45 million to their top 6 highest paid (Toews, Kane, Seabrook Crowford, Keith, Hossa). By contrast, the Oilers will likely have arround 12mil invested in their highest 2 contracts and arround 35 after totaling up their 6 highest paid.

The question becomes when would this be? The Oilers ideal window would be within the next 3 years, before McDavi'd and Nurse's ELC expire.

Following the old rules... "Choose to protect either nine forwards, five defensemen, and one goalie or seven forwards, three defensemen, and two goalies". All ELC's are inelegiable...

Forwards:
Protected: Hall, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks, Klinkhammer, Purcell, Lander, Letestu
Unprotected: Korpikoski, Gazdic, Hamilton, Miller, Pitlick
Inelegiable for draft: McDavid, Draisaitl, Pakarinen, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Khaira, Moroz, Kessy, Chase, Platzer, Christopher

Defenceman:
Protected: Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Schultz, Fayne/Gyrba
Unprotected: Gyrba/Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, Hunt
Inelegiable for draft: Nurse, Reinhart, Leleggia, Simpson, Musil, Betker, Gernat, Oesterle

Goalies:
Protected: Nilsson
Unprotected: Talbot, Scrivens
Inelegiable for draft: Brossoit, Laurikainen

The Oilers actually come out of this pretty well
Yakupov?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
This league doesn't need more teams. I really hope the expansion doesn't happen and rather they relocate financially weak teams like currently Florida.

It's hilarious how they're trying to push this through. The MLB and NBA have 30 teams in NA. Now the NHL wants to match the NFL with 32? Utterly ridiculous.

Obviously would never happen but the league should contract in all honesty. I mean Lebron James said so much about the NBA of all leagues a few years back for Christs sakes.

Should probably be 28 teams with 2 relocations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad