Speculation: Future Expansion Draft To Be Salary Based

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-compensation-concussions-and-expansion%7E765815

The NHL revealed some of their current thoughts on a future expansion draft should/when it happens.

Some key points:

• There will be a minimum amount of salary in contracts that must be left exposed
  • There will be a maximum in salary in contracts that can be protected
  • There will be a discussion, but the NHL views NMCs as overridden by an expansion draft.

---

What I take from this? We should look at bridge contracts for our important players in the next couple years. Nilsson (RFA this offseason), Draisaitl & Yakupov (1 year away), and McDavid & Nurse (2 years away) could command significant cap on long term deals and we already carry a relatively significant salary core (Hall/RNH/Ebs at 6, Sekera at 5.5, Klefbom at 4.2, Pou at 4).

Won't know for certain how gracious or devastating they'll be until we see the salary parameters, but something to consider when it comes to re-upping our RFAs.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I think we're still a couple of seasons before expansion happens

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Yeah and dont forget Nkitin. We should also think about inking Gazdic to a 10 million per. You know, strike while the irons hot so to speak.

What if gms overpay garbage players and expansion teams don't select them?

I guess you'd want the draft on contracts from the preceding year to prevent sneaks.

Does an expansion team have to draft a 3 million dollar scrub or can they just sign an ahler?

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
So keeping Mark Fayne around might be worth it since he's still under contract for a couple years and it would also save us from a buyout?

Benoit Pouliot would probably be another candidate for exposure.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
This league doesn't need more teams. I really hope the expansion doesn't happen and rather they relocate financially weak teams like currently Florida.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Those concepts won't make it to the expansion draft without serious changes. Right now it severely punishes teams who only have good contracts, and rewards teams with lots of overpayments.

Also, I expect if salary tiers are part of the draft, there will be a flurry of trades before the draft to avoid losing important assets for nothing.

Last edited:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This league doesn't need more teams. I really hope the expansion doesn't happen and rather they relocate financially weak teams like currently Florida.

I want to have 8teams in Canada, 32 teams in league. I want to destoy conference system and have 4 divisions, one Canadian.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

There is $1B US on the table for two expansion teams. It is going to happen. And I would say the timing for the Oilers could be a problem since the 2018-2019 season may be the year. The Oilers need to hope it is 2017-2018.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Those concepts won't make it to the expansion draft without serious changes. Right now it severely punishes teams who only have good contracts, and rewards teams with lots of overpayments.

Also, I expect if salary tiers are part of the draft, there will be a flurry of trades before the draft to avoid losing important assets for nothing.

You should send this post to the NHL.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Most of the Oilers key players are under 25.

We would just need to protect Eberle and Hall the rest are castoffs anyways.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I can't imagine the NHLPA will look too kindly upon the NHL ignoring NMC's in an expansion draft.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I doubt there will be any expansion team in place for at least two years(they are probably even waiting on Seattle). Nikitin/Ference/Fayne and some other guys won't be an issue for the team anymore, and it's impossible to predict what type of roster will be around then with Chiarelli likely moving to overhaul the roster starting this offseason.

I could see some of the really long term contracts being dumped in that scenario though, especially if any players drop off or fail to live up to their contracts(Sekera, Pouliot, Klefbom, future UFA signings etc).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

+99373937349347

league is already watered down way too much.... and there are struggling teams aplenty, so just move them

of course this will never happen as the NHL sees those dolla-dolla bills

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why don't they just start drafting for the expansion teams now?

(or two/three years before they exist)

i thought i read somewhere that a GM suggested this... it has a lot of merit IF you can identify the expansion teams well in advance.... it has some problems though, as the players getting drafted would lose a lot of ability to earn money... say a top-3 draft pick who would very likely be playing on a NHL team in his +1 or +2 draft year, such a player would still be in junior and lose his ability to earn money in the NHL

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i thought i read somewhere that a GM suggested this... it has a lot of merit IF you can identify the expansion teams well in advance.... it has some problems though, as the players getting drafted would lose a lot of ability to earn money... say a top-3 draft pick who would very likely be playing on a NHL team in his +1 or +2 draft year, such a player would still be in junior and lose his ability to earn money in the NHL

Yeah true.

I'm sure you could mitigate it somehow. Through marketing or having league oversight in terms of draft position or eligibility for high end talents.

I'd also assume there would be conditions for players to re-enter the draft after 2 years if nothing has happened.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

And pass on that juicy expansion fee? Huh, not a chance.

I agree though. I hate the idea of expansion especially when there's so many franchises barely keeping their head above water and others that are downright drowning. If anything, the league needs to contract some franchises.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I bet the Flyers are licking their chops for a chance to drop a few bad contracts as draft casualties. Could also be a chance to mulligan any bad FA's picked up this summer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That'll be good for a team like Philly, where you can leave AMac exposed, Columbus with Clarkson, etc.

I'm 100% for expansion, since you've got guys like Roy who can't even get a contract. They just need to go to markets that will support a team

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
+99373937349347

league is already watered down way too much.... and there are struggling teams aplenty, so just move them

of course this will never happen as the NHL sees those dolla-dolla bills

Florida is not moving. They just received $82M from the city and are committed o stay for at least 8 years. The Panthers are part of a complex arena deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad