Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree I doubt there is anything that he can do to change that perception. A coach wants autonomy above all else. Looking from the outside it seems as if autonomy is something that no coach has enjoyed here since Bryan Murray was coach.

1) Emery misses a flight and Paddock as to check with Bryan to see if there will be any discipline. He said it publicly to the media.
2) Maclean looked like a guy at the end who was being told how to utilize his assets.
3) Dave gets thrown under the bus.

A coach with no experience will accept that as he wants a shot at the big leagues. A guy like BB is going to get multiple offers, if he thinks there is a chance that this job comes with management/ownership interference he goes elsewhere. Yeah he has multiple offers now but if he fails one more time will there be multiple offers or any offers next time. He is not going to risk his potential last chance on a job where it is possible that his hands may be partially tied.

Melnyk's rant made replacing DC a whole lot harder.

1) Paddock likely wasn't an expert on what the CBA allows for in terms of punishing players. Even then, the time Emery missed a flight was in the playoffs against Buffalo, so Murray was the coach at that time. You're probably thinking of when he was late because he got into an accident with his Hummer. Either way, if he wants to fine or suspend the player, it's the GM that has to do it, not the coach. Paddock could kick him out of the practice (and I think he did).
2) Your opinion on what MacLean looked like is far from factual evidence of meddling from ownership or management. My opinion is that MacLean looked like a frustrated coach that had lost the room.
3) Cameron was a dead man walking, everybody knew his days were numbered. He continued to make poor choices, so unless Melnyk and co were feeding him those poor choices all year long, I don't see any evidence of interference with his authority

More importantly, all your examples are of coaches with little to no HC experience. Did Melnyk ever interfere with Murray's coaching decisions when he was at the helm, as that would be a comparable situation to what Boudreau would be stepping into. Has Dorion shown any evidence that he likes to Meddle?

If we're going to have a witch hunt here, that's fine, just let me know and I'll step out and let you guys have your fun. If we're going to rationally discuss things, I might stick around.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Isn't it a good thing when ownership takes time to come and meet u?

Is that how big free agents are woo-ed in most major sports? If the owner comes and sees you it makes u seem like you are an important piece

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Man o man we do our best at looking like a second class organization every chance that we get.

Just when you think that Melnyk is done hurting the team (Lebreton flats), he finds another way to throw a left jab in. Just warming us up for the hook coming when we find out that our #1 target signed elsewhere for obvious reasons....

If bb can't wait for the sens to finish their interview process then that should tell u enough of what he thinks about the players on our team. I would want a guy who really believes in our roster and is willing to wait a couple of days

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Probably the only other real candidate was Yeo.

So with the Boud-gros interview that's 2 guys.

Imagine we can get both on staff!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh, now you've done it!

lev24.jpg

Thank God someone got it :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Probably the only other real candidate was Yeo.

So with the Boud-gros interview that's 2 guys.

Imagine we can get both on staff!

Doubtful unless neither Anaheim nor Calgary are interested in Yeo.

I'll be happy with either one, to be honest. Boudreau isn't without his blemishes.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I agree I doubt there is anything that he can do to change that perception. A coach wants autonomy above all else. Looking from the outside it seems as if autonomy is something that no coach has enjoyed here since Bryan Murray was coach.

1) Emery misses a flight and Paddock as to check with Bryan to see if there will be any discipline. He said it publicly to the media.
2) Maclean looked like a guy at the end who was being told how to utilize his assets.

A coach with no experience will accept that as he wants a shot at the big leagues. A guy like BB is going to get multiple offers, if he thinks there is a chance that this job comes with management/ownership interference he goes elsewhere. Yeah he has multiple offers now but if he fails one more time will there be multiple offers or any offers next time. He is not going to risk his potential last chance on a job where it is possible that his hands may be partially tied.

LOL, based on what? is this what you are hearing in the interview room? No offers have been made, no coach has turned down an offer. That's such a baseless comment to make.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

There are 30 of these jobs available in the whole wide world.

While Melnyk interference surely does matter the fact remains that there is a lot of competition for those 30 jobs and putting up with a boss who is more hands-on seems rather negligible.

Boudreau might be the "best" coach available (I happen to disagree) but there are a lot of competent people who also want a crack at the NHL. I can guarantee that "well I'm not sure I want to put up with Melnyk antics" is not high on the list of concerns for anyone looking to get one of these very rare jobs.

No wonder kids have a hard time getting jobs these days with that kind of attitude: if it isn't perfect I won't want it.

And while we have Melnyk, let's not forget Calgary has Burke and Minnesota has Suter and Parise as potentially trouble elements: we are not the only organisation in the NHL that isn't perfect.

Get a grip on life.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LOL, based on what? is this what you are hearing in the interview room? No offers have been made, no coach has turned down an offer. That's such a baseless comment to make.

why didn't you know, Yeo and Boudreau have been diagnosed with #Melnykphobia, what else could it be?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Melnykphobia is a very serious problem. Not something to joke about. :shakehead

exposure therapy is probably their best bet, get them under contract, and we can insure they are exposed to high levels of Melnyk, and with time, they'll be able to return to a normal life.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am really hoping we get Boudreau.
I am so much higher on him than any of the other candidates.

It is puzzling to me ... why we heard that we would be taking our time making the selection pretty recently and then it went to 2 candidates by this end of the week.

One possible explanation is that Dorion really wants to hire Boudreau and the time table was moved up due to competition. Melnyk could have asked for 2 candidates to allow for an option.

To me if its not Boudreau ...Plan A take your time , see what else transpires, who else becomes available ... should come back in play

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
1) Paddock likely wasn't an expert on what the CBA allows for in terms of punishing players. Even then, the time Emery missed a flight was in the playoffs against Buffalo, so Murray was the coach at that time. You're probably thinking of when he was late because he got into an accident with his Hummer. Either way, if he wants to fine or suspend the player, it's the GM that has to do it, not the coach. Paddock could kick him out of the practice (and I think he did).
2) Your opinion on what MacLean looked like is far from factual evidence of meddling from ownership or management. My opinion is that MacLean looked like a frustrated coach that had lost the room.
3) Cameron was a dead man walking, everybody knew his days were numbered. He continued to make poor choices, so unless Melnyk and co were feeding him those poor choices all year long, I don't see any evidence of interference with his authority

More importantly, all your examples are of coaches with little to no HC experience. Did Melnyk ever interfere with Murray's coaching decisions when he was at the helm, as that would be a comparable situation to what Boudreau would be stepping into. Has Dorion shown any evidence that he likes to Meddle?

If we're going to have a witch hunt here, that's fine, just let me know and I'll step out and let you guys have your fun. If we're going to rationally discuss things, I might stick around.

He could also staple his hind end to the bench without Bryan presumably. He got fired anyway 60 some games in, may as well have done it his way.

My opinion is that MacLean looked like a frustrated coach that had lost the room because he did not have full control over player utilization. As soon as he tried to instill some discipline and defensive awareness in this bunch (something they sorely needed) he loses the room and gets fired. He lost the faith of management, had management supported him in what he was trying to do and told the players in no uncertain terms that PM was the coach and he will not be fired he may have turned them around. As it was not backing the coach led to Cameron which led to today.

Its not a witch hunt to say that the past will have some impact on someone's decision making. Put yourself in a prospective coaches shoes and you have multiple offers/opportunities, are you honestly telling me that you would not consider what happened to the last few coaches in each market?

I have a hard time believing that it will not be considered by any candidate that has multiple opportunities.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
There are 30 of these jobs available in the whole wide world.

While Melnyk interference surely does matter the fact remains that there is a lot of competition for those 30 jobs and putting up with a boss who is more hands-on seems rather negligible.

Boudreau might be the "best" coach available (I happen to disagree) but there are a lot of competent people who also want a crack at the NHL. I can guarantee that "well I'm not sure I want to put up with Melnyk antics" is not high on the list of concerns for anyone looking to get one of these very rare jobs.

No wonder kids have a hard time getting jobs these days with that kind of attitude: if it isn't perfect I won't want it.

And while we have Melnyk, let's not forget Calgary has Burke and Minnesota has Suter and Parise as potentially trouble elements: we are not the only organisation in the NHL that isn't perfect.

Get a grip on life.

Yes there are only 30 of these jobs but there are less than 30 elite level coaches. After the Leafs and Hawks not many teams have their 1st choice. My point is, assuming some one has multiple opportunities within those 30 trams he is going to consider recent history with other coaches, the management and ownership before making his decision.

You tell me to get a grip on life, I would suggest anyone who thinks the Melnyk is not a consideration for any coach with multiple opportunities should get a grip on reality.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am really hoping we get Boudreau.
I am so much higher on him than any of the other candidates.

It is puzzling to me ... why we heard that we would be taking our time making the selection pretty recently and then it went to 2 candidates by this end of the week.

One possible explanation is that Dorion really wants to hire Boudreau and the time table was moved up due to competition. Melnyk could have asked for 2 candidates to allow for an option.

To me if its not Boudreau ...Plan A take your time , see what else transpires, who else becomes available ... should come back in play

Idk, they always wanted to have someone in place for the draft. I think the goal was to make sure they do their due diligence on all the possible candidates, and however long it takes is how long it takes. It's possible the guys they were interested in and thought they might have had to wait for are already available (Boudreau) or have already been denied the request to interview (Stevens).

It seems as though they've already done quite a few interviews, and I don't imagine they'll be able to add anyone else to the candidates list by waiting (maybe Hitch?).

It boils down to if they are done the evaluation of all the available candidates, why wait?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
It's hilarious reading all of the emotion in here from a lot of people who didn't even bother to listen to the interview.

Good point. Here's a transcript, it does not support some of the wild ideas that are being tossed around here, in my opinion. Sure, I do wish Melnyk would keep this stuff internal, but it really doesn't sound like the big deal people are making it out to be. Sounds like Dorion is getting ready to make some decisions rather than being forced to by the owner.

Edit: Credit goes to Silver Seven Sens, by the way.

On the hunt for a new head coach:

"I think for us we're down to the last couple of interviews, if that. Pierre basically just updated me and said that he's almost done and we're planning a call on Friday. We go into next week, I'm coming into town and we'll see what we do with, y'know, who's going to be on that final list. It's been progressing since the day we had to start, and the day we could start. And it's gone well. There's some great talent out there." [At this moment, the phone connection failed and then returned for the next question]

On how many names will be on the final list:

"I'll see two. That's it. Basically, it's Pierre's decision but at the end it's the top two he likes, but at the end he's got to live with it, so let him do it. It's what he gets paid for."

On if he wants to talk to the candidates:

"Yes."

On what he expects to get out of the interviews:

"Just a confirmation of what Pierre sees. By that time I'm full knowledgable about the individual. I know of every one of them that's been interviewed. Those that have been are very well-known. And it's very public of who they are. And that's it. It's really more of a casual meeting. I'm the last guy to blow it with. I mean, you'd have to do something really sad to blow it with me. Honest to God, you're in unless you blow it. You've got to really blow it somehow. I think I will go with Pierre's recommendation regardless, but it's just nice to meet both and give my view."

On if the expectation is to reach the playoffs with the new coach next year:

"Yes. Absolutely. First question: is this a playoff team? And he's got to have the right answer. And he's got to believe it. That's the main thing. Don't just tell me, because I will be at you at Game 75."

On if he wants the truth from the coach when asked:

"Yeah. Absolutely. If he says 'no, you don't have a playoff team,' that's fine. Then what do we do? What do I need? If Pierre sits there and concurs, then you get it. It's no secret what we need. We're microscoped up in Ottawa. It's no different than the Leafs. Everybody knows what everybody needs. Go get them."

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He could also staple his hind end to the bench without Bryan presumably. He got fired anyway 60 some games in, may as well have done it his way.

What evidence do you have that he didn't do things his way? He's admitted in interviews since being fired that he could have handled the situation better. You're the one assuming the decisions were not his own, for what reason, I really don't know. Paddock, however, got fired because he wore out the top line and was generally a bad coach.

My opinion is that MacLean looked like a frustrated coach that had lost the room because he did not have full control over player utilization. As soon as he tried to instill some discipline and defensive awareness in this bunch (something they sorely needed) he loses the room and gets fired. He lost the faith of management, had management supported him in what he was trying to do and told the players in no uncertain terms that PM was the coach and he will not be fired he may have turned them around. As it was not backing the coach led to Cameron which led to today.

Again, you have zero evidence to support this. Your making crap up to fit your narrative. The fact is, the coach lost the room. He seemed to have done that a full year before getting fired. He isn't going to magically get them back because management says we're sticking with him regardless of results. The fault here is that Management took to long to fire him, not that they didn't show faith or interfered. They gave him a second chance and he failed to live up to it (albeit imo partly due to key injuries).

Its not a witch hunt to say that the past will have some impact on someone's decision making. Put yourself in a prospective coaches shoes and you have multiple offers/opportunities, are you honestly telling me that you would not consider what happened to the last few coaches in each market?

I have a hard time believing that it will not be considered by any candidate that has multiple opportunities.

The witch hunt is how you make up **** to discredit somebody. If I look back at the last few coaches, all I see is a mix of guys that lost the room, and poor coaching. If I'm Boudreau, I feel pretty confident that I won't fall into the latter category, so it's just a matter of making sure he keeps the room.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What evidence do you have that he didn't do things his way? He's admitted in interviews since being fired that he could have handled the situation better. You're the one assuming the decisions were not his own, for what reason, I really don't know. Paddock, however, got fired because he wore out the top line and was generally a bad coach.

Again, you have zero evidence to support this. Your making crap up to fit your narrative. The fact is, the coach lost the room. He seemed to have done that a full year before getting fired. He isn't going to magically get them back because management says we're sticking with him regardless of results. The fault here is that Management took to long to fire him, not that they didn't show faith or interfered. They gave him a second chance and he failed to live up to it (albeit imo partly due to key injuries).

The witch hunt is how you make up **** to discredit somebody. If I look back at the last few coaches, all I see is a mix of guys that lost the room, and poor coaching. If I'm Boudreau, I feel pretty confident that I won't fall into the latter category, so it's just a matter of making sure he keeps the room.

I am not making crap up, I am pointing out how the last 8 years around here could be perceived by an outsider. Every time someone questions management or ownership of this team you get your back up and get all defensive. One could almost think you are part of this management/ownership team.

I stated earlier in the thread that IMO BB does not become coach unless Melnyk over pays in terms of dollars and term or he gets no other offers. I find it hard to believe he won't have other offers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good point. Here's a transcript, it does not support some of the wild ideas that are being tossed around here, in my opinion. Sure, I do wish Melnyk would keep this stuff internal, but it really doesn't sound like the big deal people are making it out to be. Sounds like Dorion is getting ready to make some decisions rather than being forced to by the owner.

Clears things up quite a bit. Thanks

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

As usual, when you read the whole things, it make way more sense.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks for this! The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

THIS is what people are worked up over? Wow. How can anyone cast this in a negative light? Every word there is reasonable and soundly rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad